IGNORED

Avon Tires (positive posts)

Riderduke

Ok so let start this by saying. "Thanks to everyone that has commented on Avon tires that cracked":happy34: I've had Avons since 2005 (except for the emergency replacement).

I would like to hear from members that have gotten Avon tires with-in the past year and had good tires.

I love my Avons but am a little concerned about the recent cracking problems that a few riders have commented on. I almost ordered some E-3's but then decided to start this thread and wait till Monday to do the ordering.

I put on a 130 front end of Feb last year, still good after about 20k miles.

I put a rear on in May last year, still good after about 16k miles, probably got a thou or two left on the tread.

I'll gladly order another set real soon, what with the rebate I read about.

Just my :2cents: , Scooter Bob

I'm like you David. I love the feel of the Avon's on the road. I have a set of Avon's ready to put on "Ugly" for The summer and a Set of Elite lll's for "Brown Sugar" I never get good milage out of a rear tire but have made a lot of promises (lied like hell) to people that if I get on the road this year I will take it a lot easier. I don't think anything can out handle the Avons but have had a new one with less than 5k showing thread. The Elite lll's are supposed to do the mileage and handle great. Who Knows?? If this don't make any sense at all you should see the meds I'm taking now. Thinking of feeding some of them to "Ugly"

I don't know how many sets of Avons I have had -- maybe fifteen. On the RSV, the original tires on my bike were Bridgestones. I went to Avons at 8,000 miles when the Bridgestones went quickly to the cords. For a short time, there was a Metzeler on the back only because of a flat tire and need for an immediate replacement. I got rid of that quickly. I tried a Dunlop EIII set once, but liked the Avons better. They have been my tire of choice on my RSV and on my previous ACE Tourer. The most recent set was put on a few weeks ago. I have never had sidewall cracking.

I ride daily, year around. If this problem has anything to do with sitting on a cold garage floor for months of winter, my bike has not been in that environment. We get a couple of days per year in single digit (Fahrenheit) temperatures here. The bike lives in a shed on a wooden floor, but is ridden every day even in single digits, and only sits when there is ice and/or snow on the road.

You know I went to Avons right after the brickstones wore out on the 05.

The the E3 came out. At the time a lot cheaper with basically same tread design.

But after serveral sets of E3 on the 05 and 08, and when being agressive in the curves, always felt like the bike was busting loose.

I have gone back to the Avons this year and the busting loose sensation is gone.

I am sticking with Avons.

Also, I have had no issues with Avons cracking, shreading or any other type of failure.

And now you can use a $50 coupon.

Just ordered a set from Jake Wilson. I usually use Dennis kirk, but I thought i'd give these guys a shot. The two tires and rear pads cost $300.97, free shipping. Dennis Kirk was $317, and they have a $5 each handling charge for the tire boxes, so I saved $27 total.:thumbsup2:

Then I'll send in the rebate and use the $50 to buy the fuel to put the first 500 miles on them.:doh:

I clicked on the Banner at the top of the site to get to JW, I think i read that VR gets some kind of cudos for that.:confused24:

Later, Scooter Bob

We've got an Avon Venom on the rear. That tire was put on last summer and has about 6000 miles on it now. No cracking and the tire handles fine.

Like a few other people here, I typically don't get good mileage on rear tires. The best mileage rear tire so far has been the now nonexistent Michelin Commander. We'll see this summer how long the Avon holds up...

You know I went to Avons right after the brickstones wore out on the 05.

The the E3 came out. At the time a lot cheaper with basically same tread design.

But after serveral sets of E3 on the 05 and 08, and when being agressive in the curves, always felt like the bike was busting loose.

I have gone back to the Avons this year and the busting loose sensation is gone.

Also, I have had no issues with Avons cracking, shreading or any other type of failure.

And now you can use a $50 coupon.

Thats why I didn't order them. You are not the first Avon owner that went to E-3 and thought that.

Put a set of Venom's on the RSTD this past fall. Have a few thousand miles on them now and really enjoy them. We're 2 up all the time.

I run 40 psi frt and 48 rear with 0 lbs in frt shocks and 30 lbs rear shock.

No issues at all.

I've been using Avons for over 10 years myself, and the worst thing I can say about them is that the rear seems to attract nails. I've had 4 of them that I had to retire early because of this. Other than that they handle great, are quiet, grip good in the rain, and the ones I had that avoided the nails lasted about 24,000 miles. I've never had any cracking, and some of the Avons were on there 4-5 years. The last one I had on my 89 sucked a tiny nail within it's first 1000 miles. I put Ride-On in it and used it for another year, but I let it sit a month and it started leaking again. I was going on another trip and decided to change it the day before we left. All I could find was a Dunlop 591. I've got about 5K on it, and I don't think it's going to last more than 12,000 miles (just a guess). It makes a little noise, but not too bad, and feels good. My 89 had a Dunlop 404 on it when I bought it and it only lasted 8000 miles. However, it had a Bridgestone on the front. The PO had put about 7500 on it, and I've put another 14,000 and I'll probably change it sometime this summer. It feels good and is lasting just fine. Why is everybody so hard on "Brickstones"?

However, it had a Bridgestone on the front. The PO had put about 7500 on it, and I've put another 14,000 and I'll probably change it sometime this summer. It feels good and is lasting just fine. Why is everybody so hard on "Brickstones"?

It may be certain models of Brickstones. The rear that comes stock on the RSV is only good for 6-7k miles before the tread is gone. However, I ran the front one to about 20k miles.

I've since run 3 Metzler ME880's off the back (about 14-15k miles on each) and almost done with my second Avon AM42 (about 16k on the first one and changed out with a couple k left in it, and currently 16k on the second one with a couple k left also).

After the front bridgestone, I ran 2 metzlers (about 20k each), and currently on my first front Avon AM41 130 wide (20k on it with a couple k left).

I have nothing to compare them to on my VR but have used Bricks, Contys and Dunlops on my old wings

When I mounted the Avons on my VR after I bought it I knew I was on a good set of shoes. Great handling, fantastic wet road control and nothing wrong with the miles I'm getting out of them. A bit over 17,500 miles on them right now and the back is getting close to the wear bar and the front could go though the season I think.

I had the front off a few weeks ago when I did my front forks and had the shop just check the balance for the heck of it. Still dead on with the balance.

I'm at the same point of making up my mind between keep on with the Avons or trying the EIII's.

Mike

Guest scarylarry

Mine came wirh Brickstones then put on E3's which is a good tire, then switch to the Avon with close to 2k miles on them n problems and like sleeper hawk they handle better, front seemd more sporty type in the curves, almost like a magnet..

If these don't start cracking like some here I'll be buying them again..

I wouldn't wait to long I read here and a HD dealer told us tires are on the increase big time and it doesn't matter the brand either..

I put Avon Venoms on when I first got her ran the rear 15K. Replaced with a Kohmo ct. Front replaced at about 24K? or so with Avon Cobra. Love em!!! Will switch the ct Kohmo back to an Avon if and when it ever wears out. Not unhappy with the ct just want to see the difference in handling for myself.

Have not experienced any cracking. Except for snow I ride mine everyday, year round.

I agree with Chickenhawk, I had E3's on my '89 and they were decent tires, but handling wise Avons have always been the best IMO. The Michelin Commanders were a VERY close second, I have never had an issue with Avon Venoms cracking.

I just put a set of E3s on my 09 Venture. So far I like them. I only have about 200 miles on them but seem to handle really well with no no slip. I have ram the Avon Venoms on my 97 Royal Star for years, loved the way they handled, but the cracks were any ugly feature to them. I wanted the Michelin Commander 2, but they are not available yet. They are oem on the Indians though. We have a weekend trip to Charleston next weekend to see the Blue Angels and will get a good feel for the Dunlops then.:Venture::Venture:

I just put a set of avon venoms on mine and went to toms barbq down at leakey tx,the hill country with lots and lots of curves on the fm roads. I can definately tell the difference in the handling over the e3s they really stick & give me more confidence. I also prefer the tread design that crosses all the way across the tire. I dont know but i think the will do better 0n wet roads. At least i will fill better.the e3s had 13500 mi on them when i got a cut on the front & switched. They both had lots of tread left,but i dont take any chances.i only have 1400 mi on the avons but i like em.