IGNORED

I couldn't let it go - High output stator install revisited

I would like to sincerely apologize to everyone in the forum for my comments and remarks. I have learned a valuable lesson. Perhaps it isn't too late for an old guy to still learn a lesson in living.

I am deeply sorry.

Take care and all the best to all of you.

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

Chris....We all go off onna tangent and pooch things up a bit in the process. Anyone who knows ME will sure as hell confirm that....and my pygmies don't help matters much either!!:whistling:

Stick around and give everyone here another chance for friendships to form. You won't regret it....except when I sneak a few pygmies into yer saddlebags......

Boomer....who stopped shooting from the hip cuz he was running outta toes.:rotf:

Chris,

Welcome to the family/asylum. We look forward to sharing knowledge and experience with and from you. If you have the willingness to change out a stator, there are likely a bunch of other stuff you are doing with your Venture that we would enjoy knowing about. You've got to have someplace for all those extra electrons to go (lights, cameras, and action). If not, we have lots of expertise in spending your money on fun farkles that can suck up the amps. (I know my motorcycle budget was in a lot better shape before joining the VR family.)

You will find this forum is very different than most (at least I have). There is a community here that is beyond anything I have found in the innerweby world (or even in meat space). We support and defend our members just as we will support and defend you as a member of this family. Your apology was heartfelt and gladly accepted by all.

I have learned a great deal in here on how to work with and on these machines. I have also made some good friends - both close to home and far away. Interestingly, you will find many members that are still quite active here even though they have moved away from the Venture to another manufacturer - or even given up riding. This is all about community.

Also, in your travels, I would encourage you to take advantage of the VR Assistance listing. We are there to help if difficulties arise on the road and/or to share a DQ, coffee, or couch (well, maybe not share the couch, but let you use one:smile5:).

We welcome you as a member of this great group. Look forward to meeting you at one of the gatherings and sharing a cold one with you.

Just stay away from that Boomer guy - his pygmies are trouble.

RR

Boomers chasin loose pygmies probably.

Like others have said, welcome to the site. Its lots of fun here. We all kinda try to help each other the best we can. Sounds like your off to a good start. Hang around, Its gets even more interesting sometimes.:whistling: :rotf:

I do not know if we want Boomer in on a group hug, his pygmies may hitch a ride to a new home.. LOL. The biggest problem with communication on an open forum like this is there is no way to get tone of voice across. So depending on your mood you might take it as it is meant or you may take it a a slam against you personally. The good part here, people are willing to forgive and forget. Anyways eating your own words aint bad, they just need a little salt. Shaun

Now that all is said and done, can I rag on him for being snowed in way up north past the edge of civilization in Red Deer, Alberta. Heck, he's so far north he won't even see the sun for another month or two..... :rotfl:

:mytruck: :15_8_211[1]:

Ah come on, that explains a LOT !!!

Some of the biggest lessons in life have been learned after the phrases "I know what I'm doing" or "I've never seen that happen before" were uttered. :Bunny:

I've heard that a lot over the years ... it generally uttered by folks who a) think they know it all and b) have blinders on and live in a very safe, structured, and unchanging world and have no balls to try anything new or feel that anything could be different or better because regardless of how they do things, the end result justifys their archaic means. They have no idea of what "thinking outside the box" means. (present company excluded of course .... end of rant)

This thread is a very interesting read and very informative but Lutz, this statement you make has really diminished my confidence in you bro ...

:sign just kidding:

Hey, are you implying that you actually believed anything what i said ??

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

sign%20just%20kidding.gif

Honestly, i try hard not to give wrong Informantion, but every now and then, i go only from my long Term Memory and have a different Pic in Mind or remember Values from another V4-Bike or something along that Line. Happens, i try hard to not let that happen, but sometimes Time is rare and i just type away in an eager to help and mix up Information. :250::250::250:

Chris, glad you've seen the light....we were about to send the hounds of hell after you.

lol... Hey Ruffy! You betchya! :cool10:

If you notice the cut and paste Buckeye themselves state that the stator should be hard-wired. :whistling:

Here is a copy paste from the Buckeye site about the 2nd gen RSV high output stator.

We have the fix to your barely adequate OEM stator supplies.

This stator is designed to give a higher output in the normal cruising range from 2000 to 3500 RPM's

The OEM stator spec output is 30 amps. During testing we've seen increased output to a peak of 55 amps. No core exchange is needed these are NEW units. Each order comes with installation gaskets included.

(Note: This unit requires hard wire (soldered) connection.

Ride safe folks

Chris in Red Deer, AB

There are a lot of pro's and con's brought up here so I thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in

1. As Freebird pointed out heavier guage wire will not produce more amps. It will however allow for a large amp draw determined by the demand of the device on the circut. If the amp draw is higher than the wire can handle it will over heat.
  2. Guage is not the only determining factor in how many amps a wire can handle. Length of wire must also be considered. In other words just because the 3 inch leads of a device are only 14 gauge this does not mean that 10 feet of 14 guage wire is sufficiant to carry the same amp load. For every so many feet of wire the guage of the wire should be increased in order to be able to carry amp load demanded of it. Ever try running your 15 amp skill saw which ran fine on a 10 ft 18 guage extension cord, on a 100 ft 18 gauge extension cord and found you had to switch to 100 ft 12 gauge extension cord. In other words the longer the cable is the heavier gauge you should be using. This is why as Freebird pointed out many supply lines are much larger than the short line connecting a machine to the supply line.
  3. With regards to connectors melting the primary reason is high resistance in the connector. This can be caused by (A) Dirty or corroded terminals often the result of using connectors that are not sealed against moisture and weather which is often the case with many motorcycle connectors and which is why I always use weather pack connectors. Corroded terminals create resistance, which creates heat, which melts connectors. (B) loose fitting connectors. This can result in arcing. Arcing causes a residue which creates high resistance. High resistance? Here we go again creating heat and melting connectors. International trucks in 70's and 80's were notorius for this problem which caused many dash fires. © The size and type of terminals used. If the terminal is not designed to carry the amp load demanded of it, it will over heat, as it over heats it starts to build resistance. Oops there is that resistance guy again and guess what? you got it, more over heating and once again a melted connector.
  4. Much has been argued about which piece of equipment is hardest on wiring. Well I have worked on pretty much every type of on road and off road equipment, over the past 40 years and I would have to say that transport trucks are the worst. they run in a variaty of conditions and Much of the wiring runs along open frame rails, were it is exposed mud slush snow and salt. Even good quality weather pack connectors eventually meet their end. But on the same note I have see were salt has gotten into sealed harness and right through the wire insulation eaten through to soild wire and turned it green. FIBRE OPTICS HERE WE COME.

. FIBRE OPTICS HERE WE COME.

Ya Rite ! I see us old farts trying to solder that stuff !

When I worked for Sprint , some young kid came in to my trailer and told me my welds where not good enough , and I would hand him a splice I had laying around , it was 2 pieces twisted together , super glued and it worked great :crackup::crackup::crackup:

You must be related to my buddy down the road from me

he uses that stuff for everything from repairing broken bungy cords to holding his underware up

The other day when some shingle blew off his roof he headed up the ladder with the broken shingles and a tube of super glue:rotfl:

Edited by saddlebum

You must be related to my buddy down the road from me

he uses that stuff for everything from repairing broken bungy cords to holding his underware up

The other day when some shingle blew off his roof he headed up the ladder with the broken shingles and a tube of super glue:rotfl:

I think duct tape would work just fine. :whistling:

Chris