IGNORED

Do you trust it

Condor

The first couple of years I owned my '84 my response would have been "You gotta be nuts!". After getting the bike to the point it is today........"I'm gassed up! Which way we going?"

What's 27 years old got to do with it? It's ready to ride. Not even worried about it these days. :biker:

The guy that I bought my Venture from, was selling it partly because he was worried about reliability with such "high miles" on the bike. It had almost 30K on it.

I would ride it anywhere, right now......well probably not right now. The temperature is supposed to be 4* F tonight with snow forecast for tomorrow. :(

I'm ready. Couple of things need to be done to the bike but I would leave anyway.

There was a time I would carry around the title with me for just in case but none of my bikes ever failed me on the road.

BUT I would not buy a new one and take off on a trip..... Wouldn't trust it until I owned for a while.

BOO

hmmm. That's a good question. I've only had my VR since June of 2010 and my 1st ride was from Sacramento to Tacoma and the bike did just fine after Condor tuned it up. Since then I've only rode it once about 100 miles. I've done a lot of small maintenance. I'm pretty sure my VR could make a trip like that. It only has 25k miles on it. Everything is working except the cruise control. It would be nice to get that fixed before.

Actually I would like to color in some more states and providences before I get much older. I'm just toying with the idea of a 3 week trip in 2012. I'd like to hit Montana, SK, N Dakota, MB, ON, Minn, S Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming,

Then the following year hit Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico.

That would get me all the states west of the Mississippi in the continental US.

I think I'll will start to bring up a trip like that to my wife. She wouldn't want to go for she would probably spend that time with our dauther and granddaughter in Sacramento.

That would give me another year to go thru the VR.

sorry to say im afraid to go far on mine. still need to work out some problems with this old 84 . some back firing on start up? need some parts clutch master and front brake one there starting to weep. right now im just waiting on$$$ to work some more on it, with luck around june i should come into some of that$$. im also looking at maybe letting it go around june. thats when the small loan i have on it will be paid off. then i might down size to a cruiser bike.

Wouldn't be skeered, after all I fixed the diaphragms and replaced the plugs at the hotel during the Int'l Rally last year in Elkhart..... Just carry a toolkit and some spare parts: stator and 2 gaskets (middle gear and left cover), plugs, maybe wires and caps, assortment of electrical terminals and fuses, liquid electrical tape (diaphragm repair). Of course, that's if you're pulling a trailer which I would on a trip that long.

We'll be doing around 3000 with the trip out to Cody and back this year, so I guess that fits the parameters.

Dan

hmmm. That's a good question. I've only had my VR since June of 2010 and my 1st ride was from Sacramento to Tacoma and the bike did just fine after Condor tuned it up. Since then I've only rode it once about 100 miles. I've done a lot of small maintenance. I'm pretty sure my VR could make a trip like that. It only has 25k miles on it. Everything is working except the cruise control. It would be nice to get that fixed before.

Actually I would like to color in some more states and providences before I get much older. I'm just toying with the idea of a 3 week trip in 2012. I'd like to hit Montana, SK, N Dakota, MB, ON, Minn, S Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming,

Then the following year hit Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico.

That would get me all the states west of the Mississippi in the continental US.

I think I'll will start to bring up a trip like that to my wife. She wouldn't want to go for she would probably spend that time with our dauther and granddaughter in Sacramento.

That would give me another year to go thru the VR.

If youre headed thru SK, on the TransCanada highway and ya need a coffee, ice cream or a place to stop for a night, drop me a note. VR riders are welcome here anytime.

Brian

I'm surprised as it has come up before that nobody has mentioned why Yamaha doesn't match the size of the Goldwing engine, make it fuel injected and put a reverse gear in it. I think we've been all been waiting for this to take place, but I guess Yamaha still thinks they have a machine that'll sort of last as long as a B-52.........just making talk. :confused24:

So most of us are saying we would trust our steeds to make it 3,000 miles. Well here is your chance to put your scooters where your fingers are. There is a little cross country ride from LA (Rancho Cucamunga) to Washington DC the trip kicks off the middle of May (May 18 to be exact) and ends just 10 short riding days later in DC. Well..... I'll be there again this year and since all the good riders of VentureRider.Org would trust their mounts for that ride I'll expect to see alot more Ventures on this years Run For The Wall. Then it's off to Oberlin for an oil change. Well who's in and who's out?????????????

Never a problem trusting my mighty steed. The first I will take it out of the barn will be to travel 5500-6000 miles in 8 days. WI to LA and back. First leg will be 1180 miles in 24 hours (FDL, WI to Tucumcari, NM). Final leg will be 2240 in 48 hours (Burger run - Alice's Restaraunt just south of San Fran. to Moonshine, IL) followed by a casual jaunt of 400 miles home.

2000 (the faster red one) with 80k miles on it. It has never left me stranded (other than crappy D404 tires - that isn't the bike's fault).

One week from today will be on the road. I AM SOOOO READY TO GET OUT OF THE SNOW AND RIDE MY A** OFF!

RR

I can only speak for second gen owners since I've never had a first gen. Anyhow, I really believe anyone that has a second gen that has been taken care of should be able to take off on a 20,000 mile trip and do nothing but worry about where your going to get a second set of tires on the trip and a couple three oil changes. A 100K on these bikes is not really high mileage. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. :thumbsup2:

For me 30 miles is the same as 3,000. It I would not trust it to go 3,000 I wont go 30. For 20 yrs as a auto tech I treated every vehicle as if my Mother was driving it no matter who owned it, and my as if I was leaving on a round the world trip at any time. There is nothing borderline with me. Its either completly ready to go 100% of the time, or it dont go at all until its fixed.