IGNORED

Flooded basement again

BIG TOM

Two years ago my basement flooded ruining everything we had stored....First time it ever happened to us after living here 22 years.....Well, Taters went to do the laundry this morning around 10am and Yep, 3 inches of water in my basement.....Sump pump was running but nothing pumping out. AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!.............. I quickly ran to the hardware and purchased a new sump pump and started pumping out the water.....Got it pumped out in about 5 hours (the last time it took 2 pumps and took around 9 hours).. I got the new pump installed and now have the fans going along with the dehumidifier....At least this time it didn't ruin the washer or dryer and I still have my hot water tank and furnace working..........I can only imagine what could have happened if Taters didn't go down into the basement......You see, we don't store anything down there anymore and other than Taters washing we don't have any reason to go into the basement....Ahhh life is grand....Its these little things that happen in our daily living that makes me feel alive.........The good news is that Taters got her new living room set delivered right in the middle of this FIASCO!!!! AHHHHHHH!!! AIN'T LIFE GRAND....:bawling: :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16):

My dad had a sump pump and got tired of it failing several times.

He installed a second pump in parallel with the main one. This one had the float set a little higher.

If you do this, you need to install a check valve in each pumps outlet, otherwise running pump will just push water back through other pump. This is just a piece of pipe with a flapper rubber in it.

This won't help with a power failure or a clogged drain line, but it is an option.

Gary

Tom, I have 3 sump pits in my finished basement, I know the PIA when a pump dies, they do sell a monitor with a warning buzzer when the water gets to hi in the pit. Also 4- 90degree elbows and a couple lengths of 4" pvc will keep stuff dry and up out of the water.:080402gudl_prv: Craig

Yep, I now have 3 pumps installed 2 powered one a top of another

and the 3rd pump is battery back up (alarmed)- we just went through the flooded

basement thing last august and it was $25K in damage, we had the amended

insurance for 26K so everything was covered, the drying out process took

5 days had 24 industrial fans and 4 industrial dehumidifiers running 24/7 saved

all the dry wall. power bill was over $400.00 :( insurance paid that as well.

The two piggy-back pumps also have separate drainage lines for more volume

to pass through .

Our plumber was impressed he had never seen anything like it before :D

Oh, also a back-up generator for when the power goes out.

Second power pump is always above the main water level to keep it from

rusting out and staying pretty new until the big one hits.

Hope you got it under control.

Could you do me a little favor though and not mention when Taters gets new stuff?

The Warden reads here sometimes:whistling::whistling:

Roger that Dan.. bad news is I wont be claiming this to the insurance co....this would be my 3rd claim "THIS YEAR". THIS IS THE SECOND CLAIM I'M GONNA EAT.. You always seem to lose when you put in a claim thru higher premiums...:whistling:

Best thing to do when you have a flooding problem, is to make another hole so that the water can run out again. Seems most people don't spend much thought on this, but it makes perfect sense, I mean if you have a container with only 1 hole and you pour liquid into it, it stays in the container right? But if you have another hole it will run out and all is cool! So the thing to do, is to go down there and make another hole, larger than the first (physics) ( at least I think that what it's called), so that the water can run out again. You have to check for slope and stuff, but it should work,,,, I think,,, I mean it works with an Ice-cream cone, Right?

Now if it doesn't work, you haven't done your homework right and you've read tooo much on the internet!

Best thing to do when you have a flooding problem, is to make another hole so that the water can run out again. Seems most people don't spend much thought on this, but it makes perfect sense, I mean if you have a container with only 1 hole and you pour liquid into it, it stays in the container right? But if you have another hole it will run out and all is cool! So the thing to do, is to go down there and make another hole, larger than the first (physics) ( at least I think that what it's called), so that the water can run out again. You have to check for slope and stuff, but it should work,,,, I think,,, I mean it works with an Ice-cream cone, Right?

Now if it doesn't work, you haven't done your homework right and you've read tooo much on the internet!

With thinking like yours,better bring swimming trunks on the 5th.............:fnd_(16):

Same problem here builder put my house into the water table by about 2 feet. At first had one pump which would cycle every minute of every day no matter rain or shine. I could flood any day if the electric failed or the switch failed. Now cycling everyday every minute that's 1440 times the switch activates everyday more than most peoples do in a year. I went through a switch every 3 months and would flood. No mechnical switch can handle that. I put in a second pump directly kiddy corner to the other one. Same thing every minute of everyday cycled. Now at least I had redundancy they usually didnt fail the same day but still using a switch every 3 months. Then I found an electronic switch called FloodFree uses your switch that is always in the activated position but uses probes to start the pump. Have used them for four years without failure. Sometimes you might have to clean the probes but other then that they keep going. I also have a high water alarm in one pit. I also installed a whole house generator that starts automatically when the power fails to keep the pumps going. No battery backup can keep up with the water flow I have. (Dont ask how I know) My current setup is a 1/3 hp pump in the pit that seems to cycle the most. If I go too big it cycles to much. The other pit is a 1/2 hp pump for very heavy rain. I have survived now with this setup in 8 inches of rain in a day and seem protected. I also have a gas powered 2 inch water pump as an extreme back up but never had to use it. I also have a backup pump for each pump. Always use the same pump and a quick disconnect to change quickly. Hope this helps. My latest idea is to use solar somehow to power a 12 volt pump just to pump water on a continuous basis and keep the electrical for the heavy stuff. Havent worked the details out on it yet.

Edited by CrazyHorse

Here are a couple of pictures on how are's is set-up

seems to work pretty well. The Zinger is on the bottom

of the pit with the stainless steel Simer on top of it.

Sitting on a PVC stand that I made for it. the back-up

is to the right of both of the electric pumps. there is

also a 4th back up sitting the the side. over kill :confused24:

We just do not want to go through this again.

We are also in a water table , and our pump runs daily non-stop,

when it rains 6 inches in an hour one pump will not handle it , that is

for us that is.

Bottom pump is first , then the alarm will go off when it hits

the battery back-up, that is NOT very strong when pumping, and then the 3rd pump

takes over. 1 hp that kicks butt :)

[ATTACH]54148[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54149[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54150[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54151[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54152[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54153[/ATTACH]

My parents have this issue. My dad configured a design that allows him to quickly plug the incoming line if he has pump failure. He also installed a water detection system that is about 1/2 way up the pipe. If for any reason water hits it it is a very loud alarm that willlwake them or get their attention. He has a small backup generator if power fails. His biggest thing with the pumps was their culligan water softener system had its drain going into the hole and being pumped out. The salt brine was killing pumps. All is good now, he has it figured out.