IGNORED

Rear Hub Panic

Rockdoc

OK, I'm sure this is nothing but......I found the attached fragement of metal in an area where I have been working on my 2nd Gen rear hub. I've done the following:-

Remove hub and shaft from bike.

Pulled shaft out of hub and regreased both ends, replace checking spring was in place.

Remove hub gear wheel from hub after removing circlip and dust cover for regreasing.

Now I'm sure this fragement has come from somewhere else as it is so clean, but just thought I'd check in case anyone hase see anything like it before from the rear end of one of these bikes. Its clearly broken at one end and has a tapering V groove on one side. I hope the pics are good enough for identification.

All help gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Thanks Skydoc, very useful. Is there a key to go with the diagram. The thing labelled 3 looks a likely candidate if its a pin.I'd appreciate some idea as to what no 3 does. I've had another look at the metal and its very light and easily scratched

Cheers

Thanks Skydoc, very useful. Is there a key to go with the diagram. The thing labelled 3 looks a likely candidate if its a pin.I'd appreciate some idea as to what no 3 does. I've had another look at the metal and its very light and easily scratched

Cheers

Item #3 is a stud and it appears #21 & 27 go onto it.

[ATTACH]53825[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]53826[/ATTACH]

You'll notice that Item #2 & 3 are described the same and Item #2 is more "visible" ...

My personal feeling is the thing you found did not come off the bike.... at least not the final drive.

Edited by SilvrT

I've had those final Drives apart and i don't remember the#3 Part exactly. But when comparing the Size of #3 with the Size of the Bolt#4 next to it, your Pin is way to small to be the same Part. Bolt #4 is M10x50....

Honestly, i don't think your Garage Find belongs to your Bike.

Oh ... What a dilemma! I'm minded to agree that it does not come from the rear hub. It was too clean to my mind. the 'silver bullet' is about 9mm long and 4mm thick. I'm going to have a good look at the tools I've used ie torque wrench (new) and my socket' set to see if its fallen out of them.

But thanks to all of you. Taking the rear end apart has been a little stressful as informed help is very thin on the ground here in the UK. I think there are less than 30 ventures on the road here and even less mechanics who know their way round these machines. So god bless this site.

Cheers

You mentioned it is light weight and easily scratched.

Most groove pins are made of steel.

Does this part stick to a magnet?

I've re-checked and it is picked up by a magnet. The scratches I was able to make were only on the surface and it is probably steel.

I'm now desperate to know where these grooved pins sit in the final drive if indeed they do. I'm part way into the rebuild with wheel and fender back on. So I'm going to stop until I know if I have to go back in to the dif.

Cheers

You're right and this site is amazing from tech tips to holiday info. Its made the ownership of this beast a great deal of fun. Thanks for the advise. On the basis of what you say I'm minded to return to the rebuild this afternoon. Still curiuos to know where you might find those groove pins though and what they are used for.

Thanks