IGNORED

What speed do you cruise at on the highway?

I was wondering what you cruise at on the highway when you are touring? All state and provincial speed limits aside; what do you normally cruise at or what is the RSV capable of cruising at for sustained periods of time?

I like to cruise between 130 and 140 kph on the superslab and about 120 130 on the secondary roads.

Is the RSV capable of 160 kph+? That would be 100mph+ or is that really pushing it's limits?

I guess my second question is passing. Do you have to down shift in order to pass comfortably and if so does she have enough grunt to get around traffic with ease?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

I was wondering what you cruise at on the highway when you are touring? All state and provincial speed limits aside; what do you normally cruise at or what is the RSV capable of cruising at for sustained periods of time?

I like to cruise between 130 and 140 kph on the superslab and about 120 130 on the secondary roads.

Is the RSV capable of 160 kph+? That would be 100mph+ or is that really pushing it's limits?

I guess my second question is passing. Do you have to down shift in order to pass comfortably and if so does she have enough grunt to get around traffic with ease?

I generally ride about the same speeds and you will have no problem running 160 or more for extended time.

As for passing, if you're running 100 or over km/h then usually you won't need to drop to 4th. That being said, if you really wanted to blast past several vehicles or maybe you were pulling a trailer then yes, drop it down .... and if you want to FLY past them ... drop it to 3rd! (this also works well when there's some H__ley rider nippin yer heels)

Edited by SilvrT

Beth and I usually run about 5 mph over the posted in the U.S.A., here in Canada about 10 k over the posted. See more that way....

This bike will run all day long at 75 or 80 mph no problem....it does like fuel at those speeds.

I very seldom downshift to pass, even riding two up. Never had the need, but I "time" my passing, and don't take chances. I'm usually not in any rush to get where I'm going when I'm riding, it is my "mental release" if you will.....just the way I am, not in a hurry on the bike....when I'm driving my G35....sometimes it's a wee bit different... I know the car will top out at 158 mph.....I don't know what the bike will top end out at.

You'll get a feel for the bike...if you're cruising along in 5th at 80 kph.....you may want to drop a gear....depends on how/when you pass. I enjoy a smooth, calm ride. I don't enjoy white knuckle tours anymore..like I once did.

gunk:happy34:

I should add... these bike's power band is in the higher rpm so that often determines when you should downshift to pass and how many gears. As I mentioned above, if you're running 100, 110 km/h, you can drop it down to 3rd and wind it out to about 160 if need be before going up to 4th. These bikes will do over 210 km/h

Depends on whether I am towing a trailer or not. If I am trailering, I will cruise at 72mph or so. I don't like to pull in overdrive, and 72mph is a comfy number for 4th gear.

If I am riding solo without a trailer, I'll go 78mph. That is the highest that I can set my cruise control. Besides, that is supralegal in most places I ride.

If I am two-up, my wife prefers to go something closer to the speed limit. Speed limit+2mph is her comfort level.

If I know that I have a long way between gas stops, I'll go 70-ish. Much above that on my RSTD and my fuel economy tanks.

Dave

Like to ride the Interstate at 5mph above with the cruise control on.

On backroads normally maintain the speed limit and in towns always maintain the speed limit. I just feel theres a greater chance for an accident, off of the interstate, plus you miss all the scenery.

So... yeah, go ahead and pass me...:backinmyday:

I'll even stop and help ya if you misjudge a curve.:starz:

Those speeds are not a problem at all, even measured on the GPS (speedo is off 7-8%). You can ride like that all day long, even pulling a trailer.

If your running a 100-110 kph you should shift to at least 4th. But if you want to get around quickly drop it to 3rd.

I think you will be surprised how well it rides.

Brad

I do about 65mph most times on the slab. If traffic is moving faster, I will go with flow.:whistling: The bike likes to go 75 or more. Like I have metioned in the past. I had her doing 85-95mph for a good 45 mins or and hour. And the old girl just loved it. Cars were still passing me at those speeds too. I was on the NJ turnpike going south from NYC. Its a nice toll road.

My friend and I ride the slabs a lot, hence why we jump into the USA a lot.. I95 from Maine to Florida in 4 easy days is fun.. Rule of thumb for "us" is not to be the fastest thing on the highway ;)

I have a Speedo Healer on my bike so it now reads the correct speeds, confirmed by GPS.

Typically we ride around 75 MPH in 5th gear which is a sweet spot for both our bikes, though heavy on the fuel consumption.. 50-55 mph is the sweet spot for getting there with fuel economy.

Dropping down a gear is always a good move (given your situation at the time of passing) as these bikes do have more torque at the higher RPMs, though the bike will still muster up some decent giddyap and go while travel in 5th.. Just play with it till you know what works best.. Around here in NS, we don't have huge hills but we have short steep ones that sometimes make you drop a gear to haul around maw and paw kettle out on a sunday drive on a weekday..

Luckily for us here in the Maritimes, we have 110 kph max posted speed limits on the Trans Can, not Quebec or Ontario, so odd since they do have smoother highways than we do..

Luckily for us here in the Maritimes, we have 110 kph max posted speed limits on the Trans Can, not Quebec or Ontario, so odd since they do have smoother highways than we do..

Ontario and Quebec may have lower Speed limits but the poeple move a lot faster than posted speeds. :innocent:

Brad

I run about 60 mph on the 2 lane roads and just set back and enjoy the ride. As for interstate highway riding I guess I run about 73 mph or so but I don't really ride on the interstates much. We took a 5500 mile ride out west last summer and of the whole trip we did about 200 miles total of interstate.

I usually ride with all the above post options and concerns in mind. terrain, distance w/time and 2 up riding helps dictate how we ride. southern Louisiana is fairly flat, so doing 65 - 78 on the slab in 5th is no problem. around toledo bend reservoir i ride in 3rd and 4th.

My bike has a speedohealer so it reads the correct speed. Given that, I cruise at the speed limit. On a 45mph road, if I am cruising in 5th gear, then a downshift is needed to get good passing speed. At 55 in 5th, passing is okay but not really spirited. At 65 or 70mph, there is no need to downshift to pass.

The nearest interstate near me has a posted speed limit of 65 mph...so I cruise between 75 to 80 on my speedo. As mentioned before, almost all Venture speedos are off. In reality, my true ideal cruising speed would be 72 mph.

Ride Safe.