IGNORED

So..how is the guitar playing coming along?

Freebird

Just after Christmas last year, there was a discussion where at least a few of you had gotten guitars and were starting the learning process. So...how goes it? How many of you have stuck with it and how many of those guitars are sitting around collecting dust now?

I slacked off a bit but have gotten back into it over the past few weeks. I took too long a break from practicing and let my fingertips get soft again but they are getting back into shape now. Still playing my Seagull and have taken it on the weekly trips for the past few weeks again.

I also finally broke down and took my old Epiphone to a highly recommended Luthier and he is in the process of setting it up and making some repairs on it. I bought it new back in 1971 or '72 so it is almost 40 years old now. He is resetting the neck, repairing a couple of loose braces on the inside, dressing the frets and various other things. It still looks great but needed some attention to get the action improved. I'm probably spending as much on it as it is worth but I guess it has some sentimental value to me so I told him to go ahead with the work. He did give me a GREAT deal because his business is a bit slow this time of the year.

So..how about it...are any of you experts yet? I know that I'm not. It just doesn't come natural to me and I will have to work at it a lot harder.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't have a guitar and have not owned one for about 20 years. I gave it to my son who does not play at all..

I used to play Gospel songs and went to different churches around the "east of Cleveland" Ohio area where I grew up. I played for about 15 years altogether in a band, but I gave up long ago. I have played one every now and then, but my fingers are like having all thumbs.

Talk about "soft" fingers...

Mine would burn for weeks before they came back like they used to be.

I was one of those who got a guitar for xmas last year. I got a slightly used Yamaha F310 I think it was. I started learning via on-line stuff and got familiar with about 7 different chords but was having difficulty with changing from one to the other without pausing the strum. Then my daughter (Tiffany) returned from an extended overseas trip (that was about April) and was unable to bring her guitar back from Dublin, Ireland (due to the ridiculous cost they wanted to charge) so she borrowed my Yamaha (hers was a cheap, beat-up Yamaha as well so it wasn't worth it for her to pay the bucks). I didn't see it again until late August, just before we went on holidays. Once we got back, I started practising again but I never did like the tone of that Yamaha and the 1st string always seemed to "twang" whenever I played a G major chord ... really bugged me. So, I sold it (got exactly the same price I paid for it) and then I found a really nice Epiphone that was about 13 years old and in excellent condition for not much more than I sold the Yamaha for. Since then I've been "practising" about 2 or 3 times a week for appx 45 min each. Having a blast and really starting to get "into it" some now. Changing chords is a lot better, strumming is getting much more consistent and I'm playing around with 3 different strumming patterns and have toyed with finger picking a bit. Got myself a nice strap and an electronic tuner. Haven't learned any real songs yet and as far as that goes, I doubt anyone will ever hear me sing (not so sure even I want to hear that LOL). One thing I have noticed and that is, I seem to be much better on the guitar after 2 or 3 double rum and cokes!! :rotf:

Anyhoo... I'm just havvin some fun and never really intend to get all that good with it. It would be really cool to one day accompany Tiff on one of her songs...maybe next Christmas I'll be ready for that.

That reminds me I got a guitar 3 Christ-mas ago and with an amp and mic and some other accessories. I too started off on the fast track but slacked off. I do pick it up when ever someone in my family has a birthday and sing them happy birthday. I also play abcdefg or twinkle twinkle little star to my 2 year old granddaughter. That reminds me I better get a strumming for my daughter and granddaughter are soon home for the Holidays.

This year has not been kind to me about having time to relax and try to work on learning to play. With the type of job I have and my family being 80 miles away and keeping the place up it has been a task. I try to get back to it but I seem to spend most of the time relearning what I was working on to begin with. But in 3 years, 10 months, and 21 days I'll have plenty of time to work on it.:happy65::banana::rotfl::rotfl:

That is funny,I bought an Epiphone 12 string in 1980 and it has been sitting in the closet for years. I played a martin last Saturday night and set me on fire, so I took it and had it restrung, tightened and tuned and it is good as new. I also bought a new tuner and it is awesome too. Nothing sounds like Christmas in Dixie on a 12 string.......Ken

Jean and I have had the pleasure of having Dave Wells play for us when we visited him and when he visited us this past year. If I remember correctly, he even went down south to attend a "Pick-In" with some heavy weight Guitar talent. Not playing a guitar myself, he sounded excellent and is getting better all the time. Dave is welcome to brighten up any camp fire I have in the future. My hat's off to him. :clap2:

Earl and Jean

I picked up the guitar for the first time in October. Took a bit for the callusses to develop on the tips but sure does make a difference. I am having a problem trying to make the reach for a Bmajor and switching from basically any chord to the bm. Guess the old pathway between the brain and the left hand ain't what it used to be. Is any one else having this problem and if not how did you master it and has anyone found a good teaching site that is free, being unemployed for the last year and 3/4 is putting a bit of a dent in the bank account so i don't have discretionary funds for lessons. You tube has a quite a few lesson videos that are actually pretty good for just about any song you want to try. Here's a pretty good site for finding chords to a lot songs. www.chordie.com,

Merry Christmas

Wayne

:guitarist 2:

I have a seagull accustic that I picked up cheap in a used guitar store about a year and a half ago. I have it sitting on a stand by the couch. The logic here is, if I see it I will pick it up, which I do most times. However I find my fingers are too short stubby and stiff to use some of the more difficult cords (which is most of them ) But every now and again I surprise myself and manage to add another cord to my collection. My graetest accomplishment so far is learning to finger pick the House of the rising sun. The bad side of that is everytime i get frustrated trying to learn something new, I go back to play house of the rising sun, instead of sticking with what I am trying to learn. Needless to say my familly is sick of hearing House of the rising sun. What used to get an applause now gets OH NO NOT THAT AGAIN

I have been playing for 30+ years have several vintage guitars and a fender tweed amp....cough, a real 1959 one. I'm no pro but purty good. Blues mostly but can do other stuff as well. Keep at it, its a good hobby and H of RS is a great song to practice over and over. You can make that very complexed or simple. It may be the perfect practice song. Plus it's cool.

It might be fun to have a little jam session at Maintenance day. Like I said, I have 3 acoustics here so if some can't bring their guitars along, you would be welcome to use one of mine. I know there it won't be the same as playing your own but the Seagull plays very well and the Epiphone should also when I get it back from the Luthier. The Yamaha is a cheapo but will do in a bind. The Seagull is an acoustic electric but I don't presently have an amp. I could probably borrow one from somebody if any of you want one available though, just let me know.

I tell you what. These guitars to me are almost like a sickness comparable to the motorcycle. Though I'm not worth a darn, I love the instruments and would probably own a dozen of them if I could justify it. I would love to have a Les Paul and also a nice hollow body jazz electric on the lines of a Gretsch or something. Would also like to upgrade from my present Seagull to an artist series. I've told myself that I would not buy another guitar until when and IF I improve to the point of thinking that I deserve to reward myself with another one. At the rate I'm going, that may never happen.

I picked up the guitar for the first time in October. Took a bit for the callusses to develop on the tips but sure does make a difference. I am having a problem trying to make the reach for a Bmajor and switching from basically any chord to the bm. Guess the old pathway between the brain and the left hand ain't what it used to be. Is any one else having this problem and if not how did you master it and has anyone found a good teaching site that is free, being unemployed for the last year and 3/4 is putting a bit of a dent in the bank account so i don't have discretionary funds for lessons. You tube has a quite a few lesson videos that are actually pretty good for just about any song you want to try. Here's a pretty good site for finding chords to a lot songs. www.chordie.com,

Merry Christmas

Wayne

Quit playing music laid out for the piano, and you won't have to worry about playing Bmajor. The 2 B's you do need to know up in the first 3 fret playing area are the Bminor and B7. I think of the Bminor as an Aminor moved up 2 frets and fingered with my last 3 fingers, and then barred. B7, well, you just need to practice it over and over from E and A.

The easiest way to play a B if you have to, because you're playing with another instrument, is to use a capo on the 2nd fret, and play A (transposed 2).

House of the Rising Sun is a great practice song.

Elderly's is a candy store for guitar-a-holics. I've bought a couple of Larrivee guitars there.

Edited by RandyR

Merry Christmas

Wayne

Try this one... http://www.totallyguitars.com/

Now I'm starting to wish that I hadn't even started this thread. It got me all excited again and I just put a bid in on another guitar that I absolutely should NOT buy. Oh well....I doubt that I'll end up with it and if I did, it would be one heck of a deal. Won't know for a few more hours.

Now I'm starting to wish that I hadn't even started this thread. It got me all excited again and I just put a bid in on another guitar that I absolutely should NOT buy. Oh well....I doubt that I'll end up with it and if I did, it would be one heck of a deal. Won't know for a few more hours.

Your sickness is known as GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrom).

Well the good news is that there is almost zero chance that I will get it for the amount that I bid. If I do, it is one heck of a deal. The auction ends later tonight so I'll know soon but I'm about 99.9% sure already that I won't win it. That would be a GOOD thing because I much as I would like to have it, I sure don't need to buy it right now.