IGNORED

Not sure what im gonna do..

1BigDog

Been home from work the last 4 days. The right knee that I had surgery on less than 2 years ago is failing. Im scared to get the knee replacement I need. Several friends who have had it are now having scar tissue problems along with mobility issues. Right now riding is out of the question. Had to take 4000 mg of naproxen last friday just to get through the night at work, which is causing some other issues. Thats 3000mg more then recommended. Selling the bike was also a thought, fleeting as it may have been. So, I have some major thinking to do......

Now, where are my drugs......:backinmyday:

Ruffy,

I have a friend who has had both knees done, once, years ago the old way, and once a couple years ago the new way.

Much less intrusive, (the new way) and healing time is much shorter. He wished that he hadn't waited so long to have the second one done.

Have it done and get back to riding,

The best of luck you and your new knee.

Steve

I work in a hospital (albeit a lab tech), but I see knee replacement patients everyday. Like someone said earlier, the "new" procedures are much less invasive and they usually have you walking (trying) in 24-48 hours. Rehabs are MUCH, MUCH shorter too.

My best NON-expert advice to you can be summed up in one word: RESEARCH

Research the physicians that do this procedure. You can do some research online, but some will have to be done with "word of mouth" recommendations.

Things to consider: Rate of infection, Rates of readmission, Rates of unsuccessful surgeries and finally find one YOU have confidence in!!!

If a physician will not discuss the entire procedure (including pre-op, the surgery itself, and post-op care or rehab), then look for another. If you go by "word of mouth", be sure and ask how PAIN MANAGEMENT was accomplished.

Good luck.

Wally

Ruffy,

I have had my new knee for a little bit over three years now, it was done when I was 49 years old. All I can say is that I wish I had been able to do it sooner. In my case, I had to waite until I met the standards set by the VA in DC. I know my Doctor in Sioux Falls wanted to do it sooner, but had to follow the guidelines set forth from on high. The initial pain was not too bad. The rehab hurt, but must be done to ensure a full recovery. I have had no trouble riding my '84. I did lose my ability to forecast a change in weather, though. If you do goet the replacement, DO THE REHAB!!!!!!

Take care,

Dave

• 10 months later...

Got most of my financial ducks (no, not aflac either) in order and im setting up an appointment for the knee replacement surgery. Should happen sometime in Jan or Feb 2012. Getting my last cortisone shot in a few weeks just to get through. Never thought id say this but I cant wait. Pain is just too much to bear right now. My quality of life has deteriorated way too much and its affecting my family as well as my ability to ride. Lets see how this goes.....

Hey Ruffy I'll give you 5 bucks for that old wore out slow 2nd Gen!!!:whistling: Might even go 10 if I had to!!!:duck:

Get the knee done buddy. We couldn't operate this place without you!!!:clap2::clap2:

Good luck with it.You don't mind if a few prayers are sent do you?? (gonna do it anyway...)

Hi Ruffy

Best thing is to get it done. I had my rt. hip and rt. knee replaced 3 years ago and my left knee done this past Jan. Its the only way to go. It takes awhile to do the rehab but within 3 to 6 months they are like new. The jeft knee done this year was the best. only a few weeks of being careful on getting around and the surgery only took an hour.

They will be sore and stiff for awhile but its worth it.

Give me a call if you have any questions. #'s in my bio.

Steve

Got an appt with a different ortho surgeon in the AM. He's already booked into Jan. Same clinic but from what i was able to piece together he's more precise then the surgeon who did the clean-out 2 years ago. When its done it will be kinda like a Barnett clutch conversion...all pretty inside but covered up.

And no, Dan..you can't have my 2nd gen. Eck might have something to say about that.....

Good Luck Ruffy! I'm scheduled for a right knee replacement the 15th of Nov if I don't chicken out before then. I'm still functioning pretty well I just can't stand or walk for long times or distances. I'm thinking I should get it done just so I don't get to the point where I can't function.

Dennis

Good Luck Ruffy! I'm scheduled for a right knee replacement the 15th of Nov if I don't chicken out before then. I'm still functioning pretty well I just can't stand or walk for long times or distances. I'm thinking I should get it done just so I don't get to the point where I can't function.

Dennis

Good luck with your surgery and dont chicken out. Your right, dont let yourself get to the point of non functioning. I let it go too long and am paying a price for the delay.

Friend of mine that is a PT says he has more problems with older people that say it hurts to much and don't do the exercises like they should. My dad had his knee replaced when he was 80 and he still works it and excercises. He is 87 now and still bowhunts out of a ladderstand. Acts like he is 75 again. My PT friend says you have to do the excercises and it will hurt, but in the end it will pay off with more mobility. My dad said the PT hurt like heck,but is very glad he worked the knee hard.

I wish you the best Ruffy. I will be thinking of you and will be glad to hear when you are able to ride again. Mean while keep polishing the bike and do not take Dan's offer for you bike. We 99 silver's have to stick together you know.

Take care,

Yama Mama

Ruffy just ignore this troublemaker!! You know I'm just trying to help you out!!