IGNORED

NEW LED highway lights 8W each 120 Lumens

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A ferrite choke is a small coil on an iron (or powdered iron) core. Any electronics repair shop, or hobby shop, or radio TV repair shop would have one. Probably your automotive parts stores carry them under the title of 'audio filter'.

Thanks Randy, I'll have a check to see if I can find one and try it out..

Cheers

A ferrite choke is a small coil on an iron (or powdered iron) core. Any electronics repair shop, or hobby shop, or radio TV repair shop would have one. Probably your automotive parts stores carry them under the title of 'audio filter'.

Can also find them on old computer cables at 'goodwill' etc. It is the big 'knot' on serial, printer, and some power cables. Some are inside a snap apart plastic cage, and some are molded into the cables, but can cut out-ruining the cable(it was junk anyway).

Not familar with these specific types of lamps, but suspect they have pulse width modulator (unsure reason if dimming not required) or more likely a DC to DC voltage multiplier(due to limit of about 5 LEDs that can be run in series on 12V, and running 100's of LEDS in parallel would increase amperage significally, ie 100 leds=about 2 amps). Either way both types of circuits are osillators running at high frequencies in the Khz range(same as radio frequencies). The RF Choke may help, but the best way to dampen RF freq is a small capacitor as close as possible to the osillators power source and RF shielding.( this means internal the sealed beam). Someone may wish to try to place a cap as close as possible to the sealed beam bulb(directly into the bulbs wiring or contacts). Suggest ceramic chip cap of .01-.1uf rated for 18V or more, directly from plus to minus.

:080402gudl_prv:

the lights are equal to a par 36 lamp...so will fit in a housing for a par 36 lamp.......but, if you have the lights for a stratoliner those housings measure 4 3/4 inches..which i have....i made them fit by using closed cell ,stick on insulation aroung the edge of the led lamp....

and i also get the interference on some radio stations...102.3 gets totally blocked out on mine...........

I'd like to try these myself, but this site is only selling the lamp. What is everyone using for a housing? Was it something you had on hand? Or are you buying those elsewhere?

These are for the later 2nd gens with driving lights, not the 1st gens, like you have. They fit into the factory driving light bar.

These are for the later 2nd gens with driving lights, not the 1st gens, like you have. They fit into the factory driving light bar.

Dang it! All the good stuff is for the Mark II's...

I've been watching for some housings on fleabay without much success. They don't generally list them by their par value or even add that info in the description.:bang head:

Dang it! All the good stuff is for the Mark II's...

I've been watching for some housings on fleabay without much success. They don't generally list them by their par value or even add that info in the description.:bang head:

Just as a heads up, the Mark II is still a 1st gen (86-93 if I recall correctly - I'm sure if I am wrong some first gen guy will correct me). The "2nd" gen refers to the 99-11+ Royal Star Ventures :happy34:

Just as a heads up, the Mark II is still a 1st gen (86-93 if I recall correctly - I'm sure if I am wrong some first gen guy will correct me). The "2nd" gen refers to the 99-11+ Royal Star Ventures :happy34:

Nope, you're absolutely correct. I misread the post. Still wanna find some housings that will fit my first gen & Mark I bike...

Got em, installed em, love em! I had some super bright "spotlight" type beams before and I could tell the cars in front of me were hatin em! but these put out some great light! Well worth it!

yep they look GREAT in the snow too.. lol Riding season came to an end this weekend with below freezing weather and heavy snow / rain / winds.. ergh.. Hopefully a warm spell will pop up enough to sneak a ride in ;)

yep they look GREAT in the snow too.. lol Riding season came to an end this weekend with below freezing weather and heavy snow / rain / winds.. ergh.. Hopefully a warm spell will pop up enough to sneak a ride in ;)

This is one of the few times I love living in southern california...it gets cold, but i can ride all year long!

This is one of the few times I love living in southern california...it gets cold, but i can ride all year long!

I was very surprised when visiting Goose in Texas late May, someone there told me that "most" people don't pull their bikes out until June and put them away in Sept.. in TEXAS? Egads..

We left Nova Scotia early mid May where there was ICE on the lakes, and 4 days of hard riding we ended up in 90 to 100'F weather in Florida.. then Texas.. wow..

Snowing the big puffy thick snow flakes tonight.. I took the bike out around the block in the snow "just because I can!" Those LED lights REALLY lit up them snow flakes hehe

• 1 month later...
I was very surprised when visiting Goose in Texas late May, someone there told me that "most" people don't pull their bikes out until June and put them away in Sept.. in TEXAS? Egads..

We left Nova Scotia early mid May where there was ICE on the lakes, and 4 days of hard riding we ended up in 90 to 100'F weather in Florida.. then Texas.. wow..

Snowing the big puffy thick snow flakes tonight.. I took the bike out around the block in the snow "just because I can!" Those LED lights REALLY lit up them snow flakes hehe

Goose is right mostly. More like till April and back in in November. Lets say anything under 50 degrees, 80% of people here put their bikes in hibernation. I don't know why we have such wimps here in Texas. I live in the Houston area and rarely see other bikers on the road with me in what we call Winter down here. I've been an all year rider for 19 years and people think I'm crazy. Like tonight, I'm at work, the only one that rode in tonight (we have about 15 "riders" at my job) and have only seen three other guys that periodically ride for the last two months. I am DEFINITELY the only one that rides under 40 degrees, much less under 30 degrees like tonight. I guess we are totally spoiled down here.

And back to the subject, I'm ordering these lights right after I write this.

Based purely on the info on the GreenBoatStuff website.

They are using a switching voltage regulator to drop the 12V bike power down to the 3.5V that the LEDs want.

A switching regulator works by turning the power on and off very fast, this makes spikes on the input side and a rippled power on the output side. When using a switching regulator with devices that are sensitive to power that is not smooth they just add capacitors to the input and output to smooth everything out. LEDs being just a light do not care if there power is smooth or not.

Capacitors are very cheap and certainly worth a try if someone has these lights to experiment with.

Now my interpretation of the inf on GreenBoats website may be all wet in which case ignore everything I just said.:whistling:

Sorry to have to add to all this but after repeated poor customer service from GreenBoat, I can no longer recommend them or their products to anyone in the biking community..

Out of 4 recent lights ordered, one broke in half upon removing it from the box (not glued back together properly), one simply not working at all.. and a third working intermittently.. The forth one has it's element sitting at an odd angle thus projecting much of it's light entirely off to one direction.. Someone at their Quality Assurance went to sleep on the job and took their code of ethics with them.. what a rip off farce.

Subsequent emails and phone calls got nothing but lip service and BS from them..

Luckily, the other lights I had purchased and that are on the bike work properly and do the job.. but I won't inflict the same BS on another biker after what I've gone through with their shabby and BS customer service and shoddy products.

The other lights are being used to light up a camp in the middle of the woods..

Shame.. these lights showed good potential but clowns ruined it..

Goose is right mostly. More like till April and back in in November. Lets say anything under 50 degrees, 80% of people here put their bikes in hibernation. I don't know why we have such wimps here in Texas. I live in the Houston area and rarely see other bikers on the road with me in what we call Winter down here. I've been an all year rider for 19 years and people think I'm crazy. Like tonight, I'm at work, the only one that rode in tonight (we have about 15 "riders" at my job) and have only seen three other guys that periodically ride for the last two months. I am DEFINITELY the only one that rides under 40 degrees, much less under 30 degrees like tonight. I guess we are totally spoiled down here.

And back to the subject, I'm ordering these lights right after I write this.

read my previous post.. I hope you hadn't yet purchased them.. the company went "ass-clown" all of a sudden, much to my disappointment.. shame..

i did find another source for similar lights but they are more expensive.. I would hope those lights actually work...