IGNORED

Stolen and Found

Condor

About a month ago I went stupid, and didn't lock the Suburban parked out in the front of the house. Someone decided to releave me of my GPS, mount, and power cord. The GPS was my original, not worth reporting due to value, so I just wrote it off. I bought it off WOOT for $99 new. Last night while cruising Craigs List, lo-and-behold, there it is.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/2049450733.html

I still have the original box, serial number, etc., but I'm not quite sure what to do??. Full frontal assault with a pair of 9mm Glocks, or call the authorities. I chose the later. Never did file a theft report, so had to do that online. Without a report, no crime had been committed. Now waiting to be called by a detective. Meanwhile I did send the seller an email from my 'stealth' hotmail account and he replied. I now have his name. The reason I know it's my GPS is that in the pictures it has a strip of while velcro pile right above the screen. I put it there to hold a home made hood I used when I rode the '83 to Ft Collins in '07. The chance of two of them having that are pretty rare. Like chicken lips. I was told to call Friday morning if I hadn't heard from a Detective by then. I don't think the guy is going to sell it very soon as his asking price is on the high side, and GPS's are all over the place on CL.

http://www.cast-aways.com/CONDORPICS/Sam-Side.jpg

You know of course that the wheels of justice are stuck in granny gear, especially when it's your vehicle that needs to get moving !!

I suggest playing the game - make a low ball offer to elicit another response and just more or less keep him aware that he has a potential buyer on hand.

Make that four Glock's, plenty of Spare Clips and pay him a visit .... :crackup::rotf:

Seriously, i can't understand what takes the Law so long to get going ?

Everything's there, they just have to go by and pick the Seller up, and not believe the Lie's he starting to shell out...

What if he really did?

That's the chance anyone takes when buying something and not getting a receipt. No receipt and he's guilty of receiving stolen goods. Personally I think the guy is the original perp, and just waited until things calmed down before trying to sell it. It was just dumb luck that I ran across the ad. He also has a Honda Super Hawk listed. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2049307116.html It's probably hot too.....

What if he really did?

If he really did buy it from someone at a fair or on a street corner, then that is for him to convince the police. All that matters to you is getting your stolen property back.

Unless of course you buy into his story and feel sory for him and decide to donate YOUR GPS to him.

I would keep hounding the detective till you get an answer as to weather the serial number matches the one you had stolen.

I would go ahead and buy it for the lowest price he will accept, then you have proof that he sold it to you when he mails it to you...

Continue on with the police report and let them make their moves as they may until he is arrested...

My son was car-jacked at gun point. Turns out the pair of thugs had done the same thing twice before at the same location, around the same time of the month. Not only did the police work in slow motion (of course he lives in the poorer part of town) but he was charged towing from where it was recovered to the police station and then again when it was towed from the police station to the impound lot. They were also able to charge him four days of towing fees because they held off on notifying him that it had been recovered. $300 for that priviledge.

And yes I am in favor of the death penalty for theft.

The problem in California is that the thiefs have more rights than the law abiding citizen does. When our house got broken into, I had just finished showering, heard 2 voices and grab my gun and cell phone and yelled that I was going to aireate some brains. I was on the phone with the dispatcher and she said that I needed to get out of the house. Within 20 seconds 2 sheriffs arrived and saw me with my gun. Said I couldn't do that. They searched the house to see if I shot some one.

Here in New Mexico we are allowed to carry open. And if we go to class we can carry concealed. Like that. If some one comes on your property and is acting in hostil manner you have the right to shoot if they do not leave. California is slowly taking the rights of the individual.

I recommend always doing a theft report. It may not help you immediately, but, it provides a paper-trail for situations like yours and it can be used to identify problem areas for more police presence/coverage.

Not to mention that if the perp gets busted for something else your property will be identified as stolen and can ramp up the charges on the perp.

Well, got a call from the Sheriff's office today. A lot quicker than I would have expected. I planned on calling them Friday morning. We had a good chat, but the bottom line was that they probably won't be doing anything. They get 400-500 calls a week and only 6 detectives to work them. So they try to work on the majors, and mine was petty theft. We talked further and I said I had the guys name from a return email thru hotmail.com. He ran the name and the guy came up as a drug dealer and was on paroll. He got a little more interested and said they'd be looking into it. It might be the tip of the ice berg. He also asked that I stay away from the guy. He's not someone I'd want to meet. So it looks like something will happen after all. Whether I get the GPS back isn't that big of a deal. Heck, I've already replaced it with a better unit. I'd just like to see the guy put in a vise.

Well, got a call from the Sheriff's office today. A lot quicker than I would have expected. I planned on calling them Friday morning. We had a good chat, but the bottom line was that they probably won't be doing anything. They get 400-500 calls a week and only 6 detectives to work them. So they try to work on the majors, and mine was petty theft. We talked further and I said I had the guys name from a return email thru hotmail.com. He ran the name and the guy came up as a drug dealer and was on paroll. He got a little more interested and said they'd be looking into it. It might be the tip of the ice berg. He also asked that I stay away from the guy. He's not someone I'd want to meet. So it looks like something will happen after all. Whether I get the GPS back isn't that big of a deal. Heck, I've already replaced it with a better unit. I'd just like to see the guy put in a vise.

Sounds like you just got blown off.

Mike

Sounds like you just got blown off.

Mike

:think:

Actually, to me it sounds like they were honest with you about the work load and whatnot. Unfortunately, in reality, crimes do need to be prioritized and with limited resource, there is only so much a department can do. The department I used to work for had 14 full time officers (which included 3 command and one chief). We had an investigator (not a detective). This ONE investigator was a plain clothes officer that while not assisting the 1-2 street officers that were on duty at a time, would attempt to actually work whatever cases needed to be worked. In the town of 15-20k people, that was a lot of work for him. He loved it but he worked non-stop, it was crazy. Unfortunately there were quite a few petty theft type reports that had to go untouched because there were much more pressing matters to deal with.

Condor - sorry to hear about the loss, it sucks to be done like that; but sounds like this guy has more problems to deal with.

+1 to the filing a report immediately when it occurs. IF anything, as a just in case they thief gets busted later, you never know - you may just get it back.

It sounds like you have gone through the proper channels to get it back and kudos for not tipping the guy off that you are on to him. Typically with theft if the thief gets tipped off at all the item will make its one way trip to the dumpster and you'll never see it again.

The parole officer route, however, could be an interesting way to go. Although I suspect if there was any reasonable follow up at all, the detective you spoke with has probably already made that call.

:080402gudl_prv:

Edited by LilBeaver
seplling - thanks darthandy

:think:

Actually, to me it sounds like they were honest with you about the work load and whatnot.

That's the way I felt about it. I emailed the perp back and said that my son-in-law gave me a GPS so won't be needing his. Actually I just picked up another Street Pilot c550 off Ebay and it arrived the same day I stumbled across the Whistler ad. So all is good. The c550 has bluetooth, MP3, like new, and got it for $75 bucks on the doorstep. That little c550 is a great GPS. Almost makes me want to go out and buy another Venture to put in on.... NOT!! :)