IGNORED

Had to happen

GoldVenturing

So there I as, driving to work on a beautiful SoCal afternoon. I came up on a 90 degree left handed sweeper, no traffic, clear road, about 25mph. I eased into the turn, acheiving full lean with throttle roll-on, when to my surprise, my back end completely washed out. I found my self on the pavement watching my '09 RSV continue in a straight line, on it's left side. When it hit the edge of the roadway, it high-sided and smashed down hard on the right side.

Tow truck to the dealer, call to insurance and several beers late, here I am. By the grace of God I am uninjured, but the bike may be a total. New fairings, bags and rub rails, new windshield, new engine guards, new floorboards, that's just the start of what I see needed. And I am NO mechanic.

.:crying:

Glad you're able to talk about it...The bike will get fixed...or replaced...Your safety is definetly a good trade off for some cracked plastic and mechanical work.

Out of curioustity...where in SoCal..and which road if you dont mind me asking.

Guest RawHide

Whether you keep the bike or replace it, it doesnt really matter, as long as you are still here will all of us and ALIVE, that is what really matters. Glad you were able to tell the story and good luck with your next bike.....or repairs!

From Central NY between the Finger Lakes Region

Joanna

Edited by RawHide
spelling

Hey Kevin,

Both Jean and I are VERY Glad to hear that you are OK! We lived in Eastern San Diego for many years and although I never went down, I did scare myself more than once because of dusty roads in the So.Cal area. I hope that your Ins. Co. will be fair with you, and you will give riding another try.

Really Glad you are OK!:thumbsup2:

Earl and Jean

I just saw your location. I used to work for United Rentals, and I audited our branches in Regina and Saskatoon the week of 9-11-01. I've neer forgotten the kindness that was shown to an American in their midst. Great town.

I am glad you enjoyed your time here, i like it here, its a special place to me. Lots of friendly people and everything you could imagine to do. If you get up here again, give me a call and we can get together show you around the ice cream shops. lol

After you get that insurnace money and have a new bike picked out come on up to the Intl rally in Cody WY/Yellowstone for a test ride...

Brian

Kevin, I'm sure many of us think that we are at risk of going down like that. It's so good to hear about going down like you did - without injury. Hopefully, you will be back in a saddle again soon. Good luck with fixing or replacing.

Wow...I was away from the board for a day...can't believe all the responses! Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I will try to answer as many questions as I can remember!

The crash happened at Wolcott Ave / Franklin Parkway in Castaic, in unincorporated northern LA county. The road makes a 90 degree turn to the north (as you are traveling WB). As I was leaned over, and beginning to accelerate out of the turn, I think my back tire (not stock, but a Dunlop Elite 3) hit some oil. I went back and checked, no sign of gravel or dirt. Just a poor surface appraisal on my part.

Insurance company is Geico, they have been fair in the past, I just hope that they DON'T total the bike, I really liked it, it was set up just right...Has every accessory that Yamaha sells in the Star catalog. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks again for the kind words! This father of 4 young boys does NOT need to spending any time in a hospital recovering from stupidity...

Guest RawHide
Wow...I was away from the board for a day...can't believe all the responses! Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I will try to answer as many questions as I can remember!

The crash happened at Wolcott Ave / Franklin Parkway in Castaic, in unincorporated northern LA county. The road makes a 90 degree turn to the north (as you are traveling WB). As I was leaned over, and beginning to accelerate out of the turn, I think my back tire (not stock, but a Dunlop Elite 3) hit some oil. I went back and checked, no sign of gravel or dirt. Just a poor surface appraisal on my part.

Insurance company is Geico, they have been fair in the past, I just hope that they DON'T total the bike, I really liked it, it was set up just right...Has every accessory that Yamaha sells in the Star catalog. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks again for the kind words! This father of 4 young boys does NOT need to spending any time in a hospital recovering from stupidity...

AMEN, not saying it is your fault...be smart and safe for the little ones they still need you!