IGNORED

How much mileage is too much on a used Venture?

Humbucker

I don't own a Venture as of yet but it has to be on the top of my list for my second bike. It's an awesome machine from what I can tell and is definately a bargain(especially used) compared to the other popular baggers out there, Harley and Goldwing.

I was wondering how much mileage can you get out of these Ventures?

Here's an ad posted in my area for a 2000 Venture with what seems to me to be fairly high mileage:

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-2000-Yamaha-Royal-Star-Venture-W0QQAdIdZ238464566

That 139450 klms is 86,650.21 miles BTW, just to clear that up.

The price seems pretty decent and the bike looks to be in good shape, it's just the mileage that kind of concerns me.

I know that the seller is a stand-up guy, a machinist by trade and also a motorcycle mechanic. He wheels in deals in buying used bikes, fixes them up and only sells them when they have a clean bill of health. So, I wouldn't hesitate buying a bike from him, that's a plus.

But again, what about the mileage?

Hello Humbucker, and welcome to the site!

A friend of mine out in Osoyoos, B.C. has over 270,000 k's on his bike. He has always rode two up, and pulls a pop up tent trailer as well. No burning of oil, no lack of power...and just regular maintenance, brakes, fluids etc.

I have over 104,000 k's on mine, almost every K riding two up....and it runs better than new thanks to this site and the knowledge that is here.

So...what's too high? I don't know....depends on the $$$$ for the bike.

gunk:smile5:

And just how does one carry all of those K`s...thats alot of K`s...:confused24::duck:

Hello Humbucker, and welcome to the site!

A friend of mine out in Osoyoos, B.C. has over 270,000 k's on his bike. He has always rode two up, and pulls a pop up tent trailer as well. No burning of oil, no lack of power...and just regular maintenance, brakes, fluids etc.

I have over 104,000 k's on mine, almost every K riding two up....and it runs better than new thanks to this site and the knowledge that is here.

So...what's too high? I don't know....depends on the $$$$ for the bike.

gunk:smile5:

As long as its well maintained and any outstanding potential issues fixed up, thats not too many miles on the Venture. Many riders have to replace the rear shock by that many miles. Valves should have been checked and clearances brought within spec. brakes pads should be ok. Many riders have to have new clutch springs by that many miles. fluids fresh all around. Front fork tree should be solid. Has the seller lubed the drive shaft and splines? any leaks in the forks?

But its not too many miles on this bike.

I wouldn't bat an eye lash at 100,000 on a venture engine (I have more than 86,000 on my 2005). In fact, I would MUCH rather have that bike with 100,000 miles than 20,000, considering it's age. Sitting and rotting is much harder on a machine than using it. In addition, that kind of mileage increases the likelihood that it has actually been maintained and serviced appropriately.

I'd ask the owner for maintenance records (if he has had it all done at authorized Yamahaha shops, they will have them all in their computer for you). If you cannot get the records, then I'd be extra careful on the inspection, maybe even consider a compression test, but I don't think that is necessary at under 100,000 miles. And I would absolutely have the valves adjusted after the purchase if there is no proof they were done in the last 30,000 miles. And beware, this is an EXPENSIVE service on the RSV - will cost between $300 and $600 if you have the shop do it.

I'd be a lot more worried about the condition of the steering head bearings and the swing arm bearings than I would about that engine.

Goose

I've done a bunch of shopping for a 2nd Gen over the past few weeks and I wouldn't be concerned at all about the mileage. However, the price on the bike does seem to be a bit high. I've seen bikes in the 2003 range with less than half those miles for the same money. You might want to keep shopping, but hey what's more fun than shopping for a new bike??

You want over priced? Sorry if it is someone from this forum but $18k for a 2004? Even with 1200km...

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-2004-Yamaha-Royal-Star-W0QQAdIdZ230049869

I paid $14,500 for my 2009 that was purchased by the original owner in March of this year, and by me in July. Had 2500km when I got it. 8500km now.

2004 with 152k km for $10,000.

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-touring-2004-Yamaha-Venture-Royal-Star-White-W0QQAdIdZ237232144

1985 with 96k km for $2,000.

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-1985-Yamaha-Venture-Motorcycle-W0QQAdIdZ231744215

2009 with 5600km for $18,000

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-touring-2009-Venture-motorcycle-W0QQAdIdZ221971589

Local dealer - 2005 with 72k km for $11,000

Thats all I could find within 1,000km of Kitchener, ON.

READ THIS ONE !!!! Ventures APPRECIATE in Canada !!!

2005 with 36k km... and ONLY $109,995.00 !!!!!!

http://hullygully.com/2005-YAMAHA-1300VENTURE/tabid/75/Default.aspx?adid=9112398&cat=Motorcycle&sortPrice=ASC#top

If i were you I would check in the states, and with our dollar being almost par now, you can probably find something for about the same price with about half of the mileage if you dont mind travelling to pickup a new bike.

I am kinda thinking of looking stateside for a mid 2000 machine myself (sshhhhh!!!!) and I hear that importing a bike is pretty straightforward and easy as long as you have your paper work done properly. Quite a few have done it around here and are very willing to help walk you through it. Just take your time and get the right deal for you.

Brian

Hey guys, thanks for all of your posts, that's a big help!

Yeah, I kind of had a gut feeling that that example that I posted wasn't a deal to write home about but it's good to know about mileage not being a huge concern on these bikes. That's good to know.

Speaking of high prices on used Ventures, there's a guy in my area selling his 2008 Venture with 15,700 klms (9,755.53 miles) for $19,500 CDN (19,015.33 USD)!!! He says that he added $4,000 dollars worth of Star accessories but wow, $19,500?!!!:whistling:

Our local Yamaha dealer has a leftover 2009 Venture in two-tone red and black that's been sitting there for two years and it's now listed at $17,000 CND ($6,200 CND off their original price), not bad I guess but they still want to tack on another $1,000 over and above that $17,000 for freight and P.D.I, that brings it back up to $18,000. That kind of spoils it IMHO. I'll bet that they'd wave the Freight & PDI if a guy went in there waving cash around.

Here's an internet pic of the color scheme of this 2009 leftover:

http://www.autoevolution.com/moto-image/yamaha-royal-star-venture-2009/6914.html#image

So, you can get a brand new 2009 bike for right around $17,000 with five year warranty or you can pay this other guy an extra $2,500 for his 2008 used Venture. What are people smoking these days anyways?!:smilies6:

But, I agree that there's nothing more fun then shopping for a new bike, I've got a lot of cold winter months coming up to study the market and try to land a killer deal. That'll help pass the time.:Venture:

Edited by Humbucker

My feeling is that while the chrome stuff looks nice and costs lots when new, it really doesnt add a lot of value to the bike. It does add a bit, but nowhere close to the dollar spent on the chrome or add on so dont let them say it adds value cause it doesnt add too much.

Brian

The bike in question looks clean but it doesnt have many add-ons. Only items I see are the luggage rack and saddlebag rails. I bought my 99 back in 2003 with only 9500 miles on it for 9500 USD and it was pretty much loaded with accessories, including new Avon Venoms. Look around some more. Im sure you will find something soon enough.

Hmmm, maybe ill take my bike up to Canada and sell it there.....At those prices I may be able to retire sooner...:smile5:

Looking for a good deal you can go south of the border, if you don't mind driving. Paperwork to import is quite simple and a few of us can walk you through it.

If you want new you can go South as well. Can probably find a new one for better than here, and the Dolar is helping a lot. The only issue is that the warranty is not transferable to Canada. Not a big deal if you can do the small stuff yourself. The cost of most repairs is low, but warranty is still good on the South side of the border.

Happy hunting and welcome to the site.

Brad

Thanks again guys for all your posts!

I've toyed with the idea of going Stateside to get a bike but I guess I'm a bit lazy, I figure that sooner or later, there should be a sweet deal on one of these used Ventures in my area. I'm in no hurry to buy, so time is on my side.

I'd like to get a fairly new one with a reasonable amount of miles on it. It's fun to look.

Hell, with that being said, I think that I'll have a look at what's available in the States, if there are some crazy good bargains, I'll go through the hassle of going down to get me one.

I'm in Atlantic Canada, so I'd prefer to not go a whole lot further then say, New England.

Any suggestions as to where to look online for bikes in the States? Kijiji perhaps?