IGNORED

Too OLD for a tire change?

Venture n Dixie

Asked local Yamaha dealer to quote new tire with them doing the labor on my 83 Venture. They won't work on bikes older than '85! Afraid if they break something they can't get parts. Now I see why folks are parting out much nicer bikes than mine. Guess I'm gonna have to get brave and do this myself. Studied the process but still uncomfortable. Would like to see a video with shaft/spline, brakes, ??? maintainance included. Wonder if I could find some help here... http://www.barbervintagefestival.org/ this weekend.

if you were closer I would help, I have had my 88 and 87 apart a few times, once all the plastic is gone, the bike doesn't look so intimidating. the secret is to get baggies each time you take a part off and tie the hardware to the piece you just took off, or back in the holes once the parts are off, that way you don't scratch your head later as to where they go.if you hit the archives of this forum.... you get great advice. good luck

Asked local Yamaha dealer to quote new tire with them doing the labor on my 83 Venture. They won't work on bikes older than '85! Afraid if they break something they can't get parts. Now I see why folks are parting out much nicer bikes than mine. Guess I'm gonna have to get brave and do this myself. Studied the process but still uncomfortable. Would like to see a video with shaft/spline, brakes, ??? maintainance included. Wonder if I could find some help here... http://www.barbervintagefestival.org/ this weekend.

Lack of experience, know how and patience breaks more stuff than age does

Yes, either go to a indy shop or take em off yourself. I have done it twice so far. Using the directions I found here. Takes about a hour or so the first time. You will need a tie down strap and foot long piece of 1x1 to hold the front up once your up on the center stand. I put it under the cross bar above the oil filter to lift the front tire up off the ground. Then you ease the forks down,,,with a helper. onto something that wont damage the fork ends. We got your back. Screw the stealer..... Oh yeah.... I suggest the Dunlop E3s.

Edit: The 2nd time I did it I took off the left side bag and muffler. It made it a easyer job, to torque the axle nut etc. Good time to change the fuel filter too.

Edited by ddoggma

If you want to have some help changing it out, I could meet you in Bogalusa Louisianna @ Kbrans and we could change tires out there as he has a tire machine. Just mention to him that I threw him under the bus and set a date that works for you both and I'll shoot over from Houston and we can get er done!

If you want to have some help changing it out, I could meet you in Bogalusa Louisianna @ Kbrans and we could change tires out there as he has a tire machine. Just mention to him that I threw him under the bus and set a date that works for you both and I'll shoot over from Houston and we can get er done!

Yea, that could work. Don't mind at all.

Asked local Yamaha dealer to quote new tire with them doing the labor on my 83 Venture. They won't work on bikes older than '85! Afraid if they break something they can't get parts.

Do you not think that this dealer could easily find out, they can get parts. Also wondering why they think something they might break something. I would be a bit concerned about giving these people any business

BRad

Thanks for the invites but the threads are showin and the truck transmission is a goin. I'd prefer to tackle it myself instead of dealer for $ reasons and to know how to handle it. Just never messed with a shaft drive before and know it needs to be serviced. The Yamy shop quoted $140 including tax (I think) to mount and balance an Elite 3 if I brought the wheel in. That seems like a good deal to me. They said they'd have to order it so I assume it's fresh. Think it's funny that an '85 1st gen meets their requirements. Glad you mentioned the fuel filter ddoggma. This project is growing! Hopefully between the tutorials on this site and a little help from my friends I'll pull it off...and get her rolling again.