IGNORED

It's getting to be that time!

Trader

Brrrrrrrrr!

Just checked the thermometer. IT'S ZERO (= 32 F) outside!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I just bought the insulation and wall covering for the garage so guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

I don't want to take on stripping and working on the blonde beast when the wrenches are so cold you can't even hold on to them!

I envy you southern folk....you can ride all year, don't have to pay for furnace oil or snow tires, and never have to shovel 10 inches of "partly cloudy"

......what can I say.....

I don't want it to be winter!!!!:95:

Brrrrrrrrr!

Just checked the thermometer. IT'S ZERO (= 32 F) outside!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I just bought the insulation and wall covering for the garage so guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

I don't want to take on stripping and working on the blonde beast when the wrenches are so cold you can't even hold on to them!

I envy you southern folk....you can ride all year, don't have to pay for furnace oil or snow tires, and never have to shovel 10 inches of "partly cloudy"

......what can I say.....

I don't want it to be winter!!!!:95:

I just checked, prior to this reply & it's still 16 deg C in Wainwright (8 hours riding time, due south to the border). :stirthepot:

Last year, we sent the southerners a bunch of snow & we had a milder winter (no minus 50 deg C at all). Were they ever griping, over that white stuff. Maybe we can do it again, this year.....

:snow::snow::snow::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: :canada:

I was wondering about the portable propane heaters...do you have to worry about carbon monoxide with them?

Any suggestions on a COMPACT heat source that is reasonably efficient?

There are a couple of thermostat controlled electricals on the market. I run a Lasko tower in the insulated barn/office. Keeps everything toasty. I also have a larger Lasko unit for the wife in her office.. she gets cold easily... I actually bought it to heat the front of the house for a few days when we lost the heater last year during the winter. It also did a great job. I wouldn't suggest any open flame type heater for the garage if you're going to be working in there....

PS: When using an electric you can leave the thermostat set at a lower temp and it keeps everything from freezing. Get one that warms up the air, and it's OK as long as you're just breathing. Tools, bike, and floor are still ice cold for hours. I set my thermo at 55f during the night and bump it up to 65 during the day.

Edited by Condor

Man, I know what you mean about "winter", but I am actually looking forward to it here. But I must admit these "Fall" temps are chilling. It was a really chilly 49 F. this morning, and they're forcasting for a cool high of 73 F today. Don't know if I can wait until 4:30 to ride today. Might have to take off at noon before it gets too hot !!! :rotfl::cool10:

I was wondering about the portable propane heaters...do you have to worry about carbon monoxide with them?

Any suggestions on a COMPACT heat source that is reasonably efficient?

If it burns fuel and does not vent outside then you have to worry.

You also have to worry about it using up all of the O2 (oxygen) in the garage to furn the fuel and not leaving much left for you.

Some heaters do have O2 sensors and will shut down when the O2 level starts to drop. You can add a CO (carbon monoxide) detector to keep tabs on that level.

Back when I was building a stock car over the winter in the garage, I used a one of the big kerosene heaters that sounds and looks like a jet engine, 250,000btu, I then put a piece of 2x4 on edge to hold the door open a little for fresh air.

You also need to watch out for open flame or red hot heating elements if you will be using any kind of flammable paints or solvents.

I have a heater like the picture below. Does a good job of heating up my 20x24 garage in a short time. Uses a 20lb propane tank and has a blower.......a bit loud and yes I leave the door open a tad for air. On sale @ Princess Auto for $119 I believe.

Keith

I love living in the south. Where I live in GA we usually only see winter mix (rain/sleet/snow mixed) once every 2-3 YEARS. I have done a winter in Alberta and a winter in PA, never again will I travel to the great frozen north in winter much less live there. Some love the winter wonderland, me I look at it as a death trap. I can definitely see myself falling on ice and breaking a leg or worse.

file:///C:/Users/CARLNO%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.pngfile:///C:/Users/CARLNO%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png

This the heater I put in last year and am quite happy with it. Bought it at Princess Auto for about $400.00. Heats my garage, 750 sq ft with 8 ft ceiling just fine. I keep the garage at about 55 or maybe lower if I'm gone for a few days. My house is about 1400 sq ft and I heat the basement, have a gas stove, demand water heater and a gas furnace. My most expensive month last year was $108.00 for all my gas. Now last year was a warm year so I expect the cost to be higher this year.

This things hangs from the ceiling so takes up no room.

http://www.princessauto.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/8065799.jpg

My daddy was born and raised in Wisconsin, and in March, 1960 he went to Pensacola, FL for a job interview and saw palm trees and walked bare footed on the beach, while it was snowin back in Geen Bay, he called momma and told her to pack the kids and they moved to Florida and never looked back, and boy am I glad he did. The temps are gettin good here in S Florida, and who knows, maybe I can start wearin a jacket next month. Time for you northerners to ride south!!

[quote=Marcarl;522661This the heater I put in last year and am quite happy with it. Bought it at Princess Auto for about $400.00. .

http://www.princessauto.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/8065799.jpg

You wouldn't know if it was available for propane would you?

No natural gas here...(except of course my own!):whistling:

Guest Swifty

two words....

LIVING ROOM.

:sun1:

You wouldn't know if it was available for propane would you?

No natural gas here...(except of course my own!):whistling:

Yep, available in either form,, the only difference being the size of the orifice for the gas to come out. Same price as well. If you can't find one that is set up for propane, let me know, my son can probably find the right one for it.

Now Swifty is offering his living room,,,,, that made be hard to pass up.

Hmmm....maybe this was HIS living room????

I believe that's what it meant,,, and I know Swifty wouldn't talk through his hat so to speak,,,, I mean an offer is an offer, 'specially when it's posted on the Venture site.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52702

Yep that's the one, and so how it gets out of the way as well.

I walked into HomeDepot a couple of years ago, and they had these ceiling mounted radiant heaters over the registers. Was really warm.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_5840_5840

I found one at a yard sale, but have not hooked it up yet. Need to dig in about 100 feet Lp line to garage.

Been looking at this gas line

http://cgi.ebay.com/gas-Flex-tubing-pipe-METER-1-2-10353P1-/260616249441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cadf06061

There are a couple of thermostat controlled electricals on the market. I run a Lasko tower in the insulated barn/office. Keeps everything toasty. I also have a larger Lasko unit for the wife in her office.. she gets cold easily... I actually bought it to heat the front of the house for a few days when we lost the heater last year during the winter. It also did a great job. I wouldn't suggest any open flame type heater for the garage if you're going to be working in there....

PS: When using an electric you can leave the thermostat set at a lower temp and it keeps everything from freezing. Get one that warms up the air, and it's OK as long as you're just breathing. Tools, bike, and floor are still ice cold for hours. I set my thermo at 55f during the night and bump it up to 65 during the day.

Jack,That might work in Carmichael, but in Sask. in the middle of January that wont keep a closet warm...lol!

In the house the ex and I used to have together it had 2-100,000 btu furnaces, one for 2nd floor, the other for main floor and i still had an electric basboard heater for basement. The 24by 24 garage was inslulated with 6 inch deep pink and I used a 40,000 btu home furnace to heat it and put in a chimney.

Brian

BTW I am hoping that weather is a long way off yet as we are stil getting a forecast of 80-95f and clear for the next week yet. Last year I rode my bike until Nov 28th so we seem to go from one extreme to the other very quickly.

Edited by friesman

On the flats of CO, ca 82-85; up at 14,000 feet (east and up from Estes Park) it was in the low sixties. Only problem was the tundra was all brown from drout. Until now, it was just too dangerouls due to road repaving; all done to the center on top. I hope to make it at least one more time before the snow ball fights start.

Ahh, COLORADO. I just do NOT plan to move.

Regardless, let's all have a safe fall and winter, till we can meet again in CO.

JackZ

aka

Jack Tharp

Ft Collins:missingtooth::witch_brew::photographing::sun::hurts:

Don't even think of sending another winter like last year south. I spent 40 years living in the north, mostly Wisconsin. When I got the chance I moved and the wife says we are not going back. The daily snow shoveling, the slush in the boots, scraping ice and snow, you can have it. But last year we had snowfall every week for over a month. Some of the snow even stayed on the ground more than a week. There better not be another winter of weather like that or someone's in big trouble.

PrairieParson

Lubbock, Tx=The capitol of flyover country.