IGNORED

I'm getting tired....

Condor

I'm sure, just like every other 1stGen owner, I always thought that if I ran into a clean newer 2ndGen at a steal price, I'd buy it. To be honest I'm getting tired of working on bikes. I know a lot of members are going to jump all over that statement, but I would really like something that takes normal service and runs down the road. Maybe there's no such thing? But I don't want to be a slave to a source of intertainment. I wanna ride. After reading about all the problems that 2ndGens are having.... both with dealer service, and common repeating problems.... I don't think a 2ndGen is much better than a 1st, and doesn't have much of a track record either. I get the feeling that it's buy a Venture, and become a mechanic. New or old...it doesn't make much difference. Another thing that's making me leary about the 2ndGen is it seems to be designed more for someone that's smaller. I've read a bunch about taller riders doing all sorts of things to create extra leg room, and I'm at the upper end of the horizontally challenged scale. I'm going to start broadening my search and start looking at other brands. There's got to be an answer out there somewhere.......I'm just getting the feeling it's not with Yamaha.....

Become a mechanic, pay a mechanic, or make monthly payments/insurance on a new scoot under warranty.

If there's a 4th option, I'd love to know about it.

I understand what you're talking about. I have never heard so many complaints about the Ventures as I have read about here on this forum. I have looked at the other V-4 forums, and they imply that its a good reliable bike, with little trouble, and they enjoy riding them. I have had no trouble with mine, and absolutly enjoy riding it. I just came back from a 1500 mile trip to Arizona on the most comfortable Bike I have ever owned. Seems ashamed that you will have to look else ware. You may actually be better off looking at the Harleys. The seat is lower, and they really are reliable and comfortable. Check out the older bikes, the prices are more reasonable, since the owners are looking to upgrade to bigger cubic inches.

Leonard

I myself am not 100% satisfied with my Venture, but I do like it a lot, and I mean a lot..

I have owned many a bike over the years as many here have.

Such as a KZ900 that I raced for 6 years on the drag stip in Savannah, Ga.

I dont ever remember working on that bike near as much as I have on my new (05) Venture. But yet that bike was built for speed and muscel, and not near the weight of the Venture.

I have given many a thought of moving on to a GW or a HD, but both have thier problems, and even BMW has thiers.

For the time being, I will keep my Venture for now, but this may only be because I have not reached the point that you have with yours. :whistling:

Condor, I totally understand what you're saying and for some people, that's ok. Personally, I like "tinkering" but I can honestly say that both my '85 and this one ('87) for the most part, required not much more than normal servicing. For the most part, I could hop on them and ride anywhere. That being said, one would think that a newer scoot, say around 2003 would require less tinkering. It seems to me that many of us who ride are a) overly fussy & b) perfectionists. Seems to me that in some cases, we "dream up" things to tinker with and we don't necessarilly follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Bikes are not like cars. We ride them during the "season" and in the off-season, we tinker with them. Cars, on the other hand, are in many cases, just transportation from point A to B.

I've also read all the stuff about the various problems with the 2nd gens but that hasn't put me off enough to not consider one to replace my '87. In fact, a 2nd gen is on the top of the list. Just like 1st gen's, there are as many 2nd gens that are problem free as there are those with various "issues". My goal when I go searching is to find one of the "problem free" ones.

Regardless of my opinion, you gotta do what feels right for you.

Become a mechanic, pay a mechanic, or make monthly payments/insurance on a new scoot under warranty.

If there's a 4th option, I'd love to know about it.

Yeah, find a company... that does it's R&D product testing in the lab before producing a bike, and not rely on reports of failures from it's customers....and then still do nothing about making any changes.... Harley seems to have taken a pride in their workmanship and service. Maybe there's something to being 'Made in the USA' again.....

I must be missing something, or just don't read enough. I have had no problems with my 2006. maybe I should add so far but it reaaly seems to run fine and do what it was designed to do. As for the room, I'm just a bit over 6' with a 34" inseam so quite a bit of my height is in the legs. Leg room seems fine to me. I do need to add a set of highway bars for rides longer than an hour or so but I've seen very few tourers of any brand that do not have them. I guess I had better go knock on wood after saying all this but so far so good.

I must be missing something, or just don't read enough. I have had no problems with my 2006. maybe I should add so far but it reaaly seems to run fine and do what it was designed to do. As for the room, I'm just a bit over 6' with a 34" inseam so quite a bit of my height is in the legs. Leg room seems fine to me. I do need to add a set of highway bars for rides longer than an hour or so but I've seen very few tourers of any brand that do not have them. I guess I had better go knock on wood after saying all this but so far so good.

Al, I really hope you never have to turn a wrench on the '06 other than lube, oil, and filters. There are a lot of 2ndGens that are running great. There's also a lot of 1stGens that do also. But from what I've read the chances of something happening in the future are pretty good. So many in fact that I've gotten gun shy....

It's funny that you mention the Venture as being small.

One of the reason's that I bought this bike is because it felt larger than the Harley or the Gold Wing. I'm 6'3" and feel very comfortable on it.

Never said the bike was small. I said that it seems to be built for smaller riders with not much leg room. Inseam is subjective to how much built in padding your A$$ has. 34" and no butt isn't the same as 34" and lots of padding.

I understand what you are talking about when you get to riding vs. wrenching. I don't mind the latter as long as I do less of it than the former. But not everybody like to work on their bikes. One thing to keep in mind is that this site is dedicated to people sharing their experiences. The problems you see are a reflection of the entire nation, not just a few riding buddies. You'll see more problems discussed because that is what we do here. It doesn't mean all bikes will have these issues. I'm happy with the reliability of my 05 RSTD, with only one warranty claim in a little over two years.

As far as reliabiltiy goes on bikes, I think most of them require more maintenance than a cage. Cages have so much higher production volumes, and have had much more money invested in R&D over the past decades dedicated to just this issue, low maintenance and high reliability. That investment, taken with the huge number of suppliers available to the automotive world, it makes some sense that bikes, with their low volumes, may be a behind the curve by a generation or two. I'm sure car makers like Honda and BMW can translate some of this to their bikes, but it would take a concerted effort by their management. I'm not sure that priority is there given the huge variety of products the bike makers support. Only a small minority of us use the bikes for mega-mile applications like touring where reliability over time is an issue. So many riders use their bikes only in the summer or on the occasional weekend.

Given all that, I'd be interested in what you finally decide on. Some well supported research on this issue would be illuminating to us all.

By the way, my RSTD has plenty room for me and my bride, and I'm 6' 4" and 300#. (I would not divulge my bride's numbers in the interest of self preservation, even if I knew them.)

I can understand where you are coming from I'm tired of working on my toys and have been updating them lately. My 2001 has 63k miles on it and it has had 2 needed repairs done the rear shock and the fuel sending unit were both replaced under warranty. Thats it absolutely no other repairs have been done a more reliable motorcycle does not exist. Mine has the famous widely *****ed about whine I heard it when I test drove it and I consider it the nature of the beast and I would not waist 5 minutes to attempt to change it. The venture has more rider room than any other motorcycle. you can not fit on a 1800 wing your knees will hit the faring you you can fit on a harley but it is alot more cramped than the venture the 1500 wing is fairly roomy and is reliable but they are getting old. Good luck.

'nuther thought... the past 3 bikes I've owned all had in excess of 100,000 Km's on them during the time I rode them. My '85 had over 160k...that's 100,000 miles! ...when I sold it. Let's face it, most cars/trucks with that kind of mileage require as many repairs and maintenance as out scoots do.

Hey, Jack - I thought I would never hear the day that you were tired of wrenching - or tinkering around - with your (3) or (4)? bikes. Having said that, though, I can understand.

I'm not sure how much you would like the Tour Deluxe - like mine, it is fairly roomy. I was trying to think back to last year when we were at the IMS Show - and you sitting on most of the newer bikes. Seemed to me the only one that 1/2 fit you was the Venture - I don't recall the other new ones fitting ya that well. The Tour Deluxe - by virtue of the seat (which I would recommend changing) - would probably give you more leg room - as it isn't dished out like the Venture?

Jack I dont understand the statement you made about having to wrench on your bike too much.As many here know I am a firm believer in the if it aint broke staement. I got my bike in Nov of 04 and it had little over 44k on it and now it has 129k.Yes I had to do 2nd gear and at Vogel this year my U Joint was making noise an dhad to be replaced.But for the milage I put on it in just over 3 years that aint bad, You do what makes you feel good and stick around. I dont think that you will find another bike that has this kind of track record on reliability.

Let us know

Jeff

What ya gonna do with the scoots you have now?

I'm also not sure what across the board problems your reading about with the second gens. The posting in the Tech Library of Known Problems are not problems that occur on ALL the second gens. Those are a compiled list of problems members here have had. Some of those problems are one time issues with one bike. Others are reoccurring problems and may relate to a bad dealer in the area. My 99RSV only has the chirping noise that is pretty much an issue across the board. Some whine about it, others turn up the radio. Others complain about gear whine. When you have tightly machined gears your going to have gear whine. When they are straight cut gears like we have your going to have gear whine. Gear whine is a high performance engine sound. It's the sound of power! Again, my engine has been solid and it has 72,000 miles. The frame and body are almost in like new condition.

On dealers: In the Twin Cities there are many Yamaha dealers. One or two of them are good. The rest suck. If you're in a part of the country where you only have a single Yamaha dealer and he sucks. Then maybe going to other brand is a good idea. It's a sad thing to have to change brands just because the local dealer sucks, but it happens.

On Wrenching: You or someone else will have to wrench on any machine you own. These things require maintenance to stay working. So, either you have a warranty and have repairs covered or you pay someone to make repairs or you do them yourself. Maintenance is always an extra cost not covered under warranty. Either you pay to have it done for you or you pay with your free time and do it yourself. That's life. Deal.

And as I've always said - Ride them all and buy the one(s) you like!

:usa::biker::checkeredflag:

Is there really a Problem on the 2Gen's ??

What i've read, there is the Whine Thing, rear Brake too sensitive, ungreased Splines and ?? ??

Ok, some have other Problems, Ignition Lock, electrical Issues, which nobody knows for where they origin from and several other minor Things on single Events.

But, does this make you think about another Brand ?? Yamaha is giving you 5 Years Warranty on a normally rock solid Bike with KNOWN!!! Issues ... What makes you think there are no such Problems on other Bikes ?? They all have their own Problems. ALL of THEM ... HD, Yammi, Honda, Kawa, Zuziky, BMW, KTM, you name it, i tell you about the Problems the Owners have or complain to have ....

See, there is no other V4 Motor to have, and you sure will miss it.

Look At How Many People Are On This Site And Compair It To The Complants I Pesonaly Have Put 14000 On My Rsv Since Feb. And I Love Evrything About It And I Mean Everything And Until Yamaha Puts An 1800 In One I Wont Own Anything Else!!!!!!!! Someone Once Told Me You Eather Make Payments Or Repairs If Your Doing Both It's Time To Trade!

My 99 RSV is one of the most reliable bikes I have ever owned. Someone on one of the posts said that we tend to get a bit anal with maintaining our bikes and I tend to agree with that statement. Every bike has some issues, some more than others. Most of us put many miles on our bikes and of course they are going to need maintenance. I recently got into a discussion about maintenance issues with a gold wing rider at work. He wondered why I put so much time into my maintenance procedures (the anal thingy). Was there something really that wrong with the RSV's??

I told him that when he takes his wing down to a dealer or shop to have those new tires and brakes installed, do they really go the extra mile to make sure that the bearings are greased, wheels are given a deep clean, like getting into all the nooks and crannies to make sure its clean? Brake fluid is flushed for new fluid? (I usually flush mine at the first sign of the fluid darkening). (the anal thingy again). While said wheel is off does the dealer really look everything over like we would do? My point being...we tend to overdo it sometimes on our bikes but you know what? I know that it will far outlast most other bikes on the road.

As far as HD's go, yes, they are a very good bike if you can get past the price. A friend bought a 2004 Ultra with a Screaming Eagle kit on it. Plenty of chrome, power, etc. He also paid 24k for it!!! And now, just 1 year later he was sure glad he had gotten an extended warranty (which also cost him a pretty penny) as his upper end disentigrated on a long ride. And yes, Harley Dealers do give good customer service, but you sure do pay for it!!

Never said the bike was small. I said that it seems to be built for smaller riders with not much leg room. Inseam is subjective to how much built in padding your A$$ has. 34" and no butt isn't the same as 34" and lots of padding.

The 2nd Gens have plenty of room for extra "padding." Juggler and I have tested some Harleys, but they just don't offer as much room for padding as the Venture does.

I haven't heard of a driver yet that didn't have enough leg room. Highway pegs are usually all they need. Passengers with longer legs, like me, on the other hand, have issues with leg room. But I'm willing to bet I would have the same problem on a 1st gen too.

Your best bet would be to sweet talk a 2nd gen owner into a test ride to see if you like them. Or a dealer, if you can find one on the showroom floor.

Never a problem with mine and It has been ridden to the west coast 2 times all over Texas and NEVER a problem.Yes it has the whine but all bikes have some quirk to them. The west coast trip was running mostly 75-80 all the way,nevr burned a drop of oil,nothing but good service.I met ya at Ft Collins and if you get to Texas take mine for the week,go to Big Bend and that way you loose nothing. Ive got good Insurance. Tom

Yada -Yada _yada...

Jack... I Hear you... Go and Sell those 4 1st Gens and buy yourself new one with 5 year warranty ..... nobody gonna say anything about going to dark side.....

Exept some Honda Traitor :rotf::rotf:

Never have a major problem with mine.... Few Nails in rear tire....bad coil...and couple loose screws :whistling: Whine never bother me, any way I'm using 3/4 or full face helmet with tunes playing.

Go and Get Your Baby.....I Know that Blue / Black 07 is killing you.

We just did a 2100+ mile trip up the Cal coast, across the state and back down the other side. Saw a few broken down HD's and all we had to do is fill her up once in a while and wipe the dew off in the am.

I have been riding for over 45 years. Mostly Honda, Norton, more Honda and most recently Kawasaki..... So far this RSMV is about as trouble free as I've had. There is nothing that will convince me to ever ride a HD, YUCK!

Frankly, as much as I try to buy American, I am not a masochist. I have no faith in American vehicles. I think our engineering is first class, our design is more than acceptable but the execution;assembly, quality control and finish work are typical of "union work" everywhere. We refuse to see that this is what killed the automotive industry in the UK and what makes european cars the tin cans they are.

I have owned many cars and with the possible exception of a 77 Coupe DE Ville have found all of them , including El Dorados Suburbans, Tahoes etc... to be CRAP.

These days, I buy only after checking the vin # and making sure that it indicates a 100% Japanese production. Such as the RSV , Lexus etc...It's the only way to insure you don't become an unwilling mechanic - slave to a poorly assembled heap of badly manufactured metal.:stirthepot:

O5 with over 52,000 miles, 2 new rear shocks, and the 'Y' on both exhaust, front cowling and windsheild (cracks), and relay switch burned out, all repaired under warranty.

Guess what, I am not complaining one bit, love the bike, and the guys (gals) that know us, know we ride (mostly 2 up all the time).

Me keeping this one, until it totally craps out.

:bighug: