IGNORED

How far can you go on a tank of gas ?

XV1100SE

I have an '09 Venture. Bought it 4 weeks ago with only 2500km on it and now have almost 4400km on it. I've been keeping track of mileage and it has been consistent.

Question I have is how far can I go on a tank of gas ?

What I'm finding is that :

1) low fuel light comes on about 255km (158.45 miles) - mix of city/highway driving (and I do like to take advantage of the revs on the engine !)

2) with fuel cock still "ON" I can go another 21km (12.8 miles) before the engine starts to sputter and stall

3) if I pull into a gas station immediately after switching to "RES" it only takes 16.433L (3.615 Imp gal, 4.341 US gal) to fill it up (fill so it just touches the bottom of the neck)

From the specs on the bike, fuel tank capacity is 22.5L (4.95 Imp gal, 5.94 US gal) with a 3.5L (0.77 Imp gal, 0.92 US gal) reserve (I take it the fuel capacity includes the reserve).

So... if the spec says 22.5L and I put 16.433L in to fill it up when I finally switch to reserve, does that mean that there really is a little over 6L of fuel still left ? I was on level ground and on the highway when the engine started sputtering and riding in a straight line. If the "Reserve" is 3.5L does that mean that 2.5L (15 % !!) in the main tank isn't available without sloshing the bike around to get it picked up? If that is the case, is 3.5L really available in the Reserve or is some not picked up as well?

Working out the mileage....

I'm getting an average of 47.448 miles/Imp gal or 39.505 miles/US gal - 5.954L/100km

Based on a 22.5L fuel capacity does that mean I can expect to go 378km (235 miles) if I run it totally dry ? I like the sounds of that on a touring bike !

(sorry for all the conversions but this is to a mixed measurement forum ! )

the most i got until hitting reserve was 192 miles. turned on reserve and stopped at next gas stop and put in about 4.5 US gallons.

the least I got was 130 miles when hitting reserve. i had been hitting the throttle and needed a carb tune. when I filled up, I put in 5 US gallons.

so, your mileage will be a result of horsepower used. ride gentle and you will go farther. ride hard and you get where you are going quicker, but with an extra gas stop along the way and a smile on your face.

Recently when I went to Asheville, NC on the way down I got about 42 to 43 MPG at about 65 MPH actual. Riding around the mountains I was getting 45 to 47 MPG.

Coming home I was riding at 75 to 80 MPH actual and the MPG dropped to 36 to 38 on average.

I am saying actual because that is what the GPS was reading, my speedo is about 8 percent inaccurate.

BOO

Most I've put in so far was 19L and was already well into the reserve. Based on the specs I should have had 3.5L left but didn't want to take the chance of running out of gas on the way.

One of these days I'll put a gas can in the trunk, start with a full tank and see how far I get and how much gas is really in the tank ! I know mileage differs based on driving style, head wind, whether it is city or highway... but knowing how much gas the bike holds and how much of it is accessible would be good.

Knowing there is # L of fuel left once the engine starts cutting out would be good to know !

Most I've put in so far was 19L and was already well into the reserve. Based on the specs I should have had 3.5L left but didn't want to take the chance of running out of gas on the way.

One of these days I'll put a gas can in the trunk, start with a full tank and see how far I get and how much gas is really in the tank ! I know mileage differs based on driving style, head wind, whether it is city or highway... but knowing how much gas the bike holds and how much of it is accessible would be good.

Knowing there is # L of fuel left once the engine starts cutting out would be good to know !

Four years ago I filled up in Orillia, and headed towards Elliot Lake. I fully expected to fill up just west of Sudbury. Lo and behold...the gas station had closed up since I had last been that way. I continued west....and finally filled up in Nairn Center. I don't remember the exact mileage, but it was a heck of a long ways, approximately 200 miles. I still had gas in the tank, but I was frettin' just a wee bit. This was travelling at an average 90 kph.

Remember, the faster you run, the more your mileage decreases.....push some pretty big air with these bikes.

I can do a round trip from Amherstburg, ON to Port Stanley, On and not have to fill up, running #3 highway......an impossibility running on the 401. Bottom line, your mileage will vary, but for what this bike is, the fuel economy is pretty darn good.

Congrats on the new ride!

gunk:big-grin-emoticon:

I have an '09 Venture. Bought it 4 weeks ago with only 2500km on it and now have almost 4400km on it. I've been keeping track of mileage and it has been consistent.

Question I have is how far can I go on a tank of gas ?

What I'm finding is that :

1) low fuel light comes on about 255km (158.45 miles) - mix of city/highway driving (and I do like to take advantage of the revs on the engine !)

2) with fuel cock still "ON" I can go another 21km (12.8 miles) before the engine starts to sputter and stall

3) if I pull into a gas station immediately after switching to "RES" it only takes 16.433L (3.615 Imp gal, 4.341 US gal) to fill it up (fill so it just touches the bottom of the neck)

From the specs on the bike, fuel tank capacity is 22.5L (4.95 Imp gal, 5.94 US gal) with a 3.5L (0.77 Imp gal, 0.92 US gal) reserve (I take it the fuel capacity includes the reserve).

So... if the spec says 22.5L and I put 16.433L in to fill it up when I finally switch to reserve, does that mean that there really is a little over 6L of fuel still left ? I was on level ground and on the highway when the engine started sputtering and riding in a straight line. If the "Reserve" is 3.5L does that mean that 2.5L (15 % !!) in the main tank isn't available without sloshing the bike around to get it picked up? If that is the case, is 3.5L really available in the Reserve or is some not picked up as well?

Working out the mileage....

I'm getting an average of 47.448 miles/Imp gal or 39.505 miles/US gal - 5.954L/100km

Based on a 22.5L fuel capacity does that mean I can expect to go 378km (235 miles) if I run it totally dry ? I like the sounds of that on a touring bike !

(sorry for all the conversions but this is to a mixed measurement forum ! )

I commend you for such careful and accurate observations - most of your numbers seem to be right on. By the way, this has been discussed in great detail in many older threads - you might want to look for them.

Here are a couple of important points for you:

First, Yamaha deliberately lies to their customers - well, it is not a lie, per se, but they clearly intend to mislead any potential purchaser. The capacity of the tank is, in fact, six US gallons. But that is filled to the very top, NOT to the bottom of the filler neck! The lie is that they specifically designed the tank to PREVENT you from putting in more than 5.5 gallons (roughly the capacity at the bottom of the filler neck). So they want a potential buyer to think they are considering a bike with six gallon capacity, but they know the bike only has 5.5 gallons as they intend it to be used.

Many of us have vented the fuller neck to allow the full six gallons to be added - see the tech library for the simple procedure. It is safe and effective, but you just need to NOT fill it that full if you won't be riding about 10 miles or more before it gets parked or the engine heat and sun on the tank can cause the fuel to expand and come out the vent hose.

The second point is that the stated reserve capacity is absolutely wrong. Every single RSV with which I have experience (including my riding partners) goes on reserve with approximately 1.5 gallons remaining in the tank.

The last point is that the two sides of the tank are not connected, so in SOME situations, you can run out of gas with some left on the right side. In my experience with the RSV for over 100,000 miles, regularly pushing my tank mileage to the limit, this is rarely an issue. Normal riding on any roads except dead-flat and straight freeways cause sloshing to work all available fuel over to the left side to be used - the more curves and hills, the better this works. But if you are just droning along on a strait flat road, you will be left with some on the right side (I have never actually tried to calculate or measure how much).

Goose

Last year, my wife and I decided to test the limits, so when I was about to hit the place where I normally get into the reserve, she followed me in the cage with a 5 gal gas can until I ran totally out of gas. It was a mix of interstate and local driving, but I had my GPS running the whole time and it said my average speed for that test tank was 56mph. My '99 ran dry at 252 miles from full to empty, which calculated out to an average of 42mpg.

Like yours, my bike also hits the reserve tank (where I'm forced to throw the gas cock to the up position) at about 170 to 180 miles, which really makes the reserve tank more like 1.9 gallons and not .9 as stated in the specs. So now at least I know, and can plan my necessary fuel stops accordingly. Having said that, I rarely ever pass up a refueling opportunity when the trip meter says I've gone at least 120 miles, especially when I'm riding with others that have much smaller tanks and need to refuel more often, which is usually the case. But it's comforting to know that I can survive much further than that.

Anyone ever split the tank to see how it is divided or how it shares fuel? If it is a baffle then how much left/right or fast/slow do you need to do to do to balance the fuel when you hit bottom?

I've been on the forum off and on for the last year and regularly since I finally found a great deal on my Venture. Great group, informative, and entertaining !

Your numbers match mine pretty close. Both of my 07 ventures did the exact same thing as far as fuel. Always two up riding I normally get 150 to 160 and the f-gauge pops up( light comes on about 5 miles later). A fill up at the f-guage point is always 4.3 us gal. Once I had to push 50 miles on the f-guage driving 40 to 50mph not knowing were the next station was and it took 5.6 gals. I still wonder how much further I could have gone since I dont know how much is usable fuel in that tank.

This does depend on if you have holes punched in your filler neck or not. :Bunny:

whats the best way to punch holes in the neck without blowing your self up?

full tank of gas to minimize fumes?

what did you use? a center punch or a big nail??

whats the best way to punch holes in the neck without blowing your self up?

full tank of gas to minimize fumes?

what did you use? a center punch or a big nail??

Here ya go. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=302 As always, V7Goose is a very helpful and well informed member here. Thanks Goose. Gonna do this myself.

I have gone 225 miles with reserve. I usually hit reserve about 170 mile and usually put about 4.3 gals in. Depending on riding conditions I have hit reserve at 122 miles and have gone as far as 180 mile before hitting reserve. If you do not alter your gas tank then when you fill up you are not putting 6 gals of gas in. My guess is if you stop at the bottom of the neck when the gas first touches the bottom of the neck you are probably riding on about 5.3 gals. When I went 225 with reserve I was out west and I squeezed every bit of gas I could into the tank. It takes a while to do it this way unless you put holes in the neck for the trapped air to bleed off. If you do this you don't want the bike to sit around and the tank get hot because the gas will expand and go out the overflow tube.

Here are a couple of important points for you:

First, Yamaha deliberately lies to their customers - well, it is not a lie, per se, but they clearly intend to mislead any potential purchaser. The capacity of the tank is, in fact, six US gallons. But that is filled to the very top, NOT to the bottom of the filler neck! The lie is that they specifically designed the tank to PREVENT you from putting in more than 5.5 gallons (roughly the capacity at the bottom of the filler neck). So they want a potential buyer to think they are considering a bike with six gallon capacity, but they know the bike only has 5.5 gallons as they intend it to be used.

Just a quick point here - and Goose, I'm not meaning to single you out here, as many folks have said it too, but for what it is worth, Yamaha isn't the only manufacture that works this way. They do the measurement of the total tank capacity REGARDLESS of actual usable volume. For example, my family has a 96 chevy 1500 with a 33 gallon tank; only 30.5-31 was usable (as we found out on a few occasions). My 94 F-150 had two tanks, the front tank is 16.5 gallon tank that I would routinely run 'dry' and only put in 16 gallons or so. etc.

Now, with that said, I do agree 100% that it is rather stupid to advertise our bikes as having absolutely 6 gallon fuel capacity, when realistically it is somewhere between 5.5 and 5.8. But hey, that's life.

While my milage has gone done since triking the bike this summer I deliberately ran the main tank down, knowing I had a auxilary fuel tank to switch over too. Having said this the tank required 5.85 gal a couple of times to top it off within an inch of the top of the neck. I have punched out a hole about midway of the filler neck.

My auxilary tank measures out to be 4 gals but real life usable amounts to about 3.5 gals if I intend to let the bike sit or 3.75 gals if I am running off the tank and intending to use it up. One reason for the lesser usable amount is the pickup tube is off the bottom of the tank. thus there'll always be some fuel in it that can't get sucked up by the fuel pump.

Larry

I got a 6 gal tank my res will come on at 167 to 170 My res is 1.92 gal cause for some reason my res neck is not in the right place all said and done till I run out is between 155 and 165 miles depending how hard I ride Ron:thumbsup2:

On the way in to work, had to switch to reserve, about 175 or so, fairly typical.

Since I had the ignition switch fail a year ago, I have two keys, one for ignition and one for the tank and luggage.

Pull into the gas station and look for my fuel key where it always is, but this time it's missing! Sure enough, left it in my other pair of pants the night before.

Long story short, I made it to work, went home at lunch, killing the engine at every light, accelerating slow enough at each green that an accord beat me!

Anyway, it took about 5.47 gals and I went 221 miles, whew, I'm glad it didn't run out.........again. :thumbsup2:

You do know the trick about cutting a new key to work the ignition and your luggage right? If not, here it is. Just get a new key blank. Cut one side of it for the ignition and the other side for your luggage. Now you are back to only needing one key. :)