IGNORED

How far can you go on a tank of gas ?

XV1100SE

You do know the trick about cutting a new key to work the ignition and your luggage right? If not, here it is. Just get a new key blank. Cut one side of it for the ignition and the other side for your luggage. Now you are back to only needing one key. :)

:think:

:farmer:

This is nearly the same mileage I get on the '05. Kept track when we went on the Canada Day ride with Wizard to the Muskoka's and back. NOTE-great lunch in Bala! I think my mileage was about 46 mile / Imp Gallon (thing are always bigger in Canada!)

:canada:

Will likely do a mileage calculation this weekend and on the Labour Day tour with Marcarl to Collingwood and back.

Reserve? forgot to fuel fill the other week and had to cut into the reserve. My co-pilot on the back seat, was not to happy we were out looking for gas, but made it home all safe and sound.

Ride safe!

I have an '09 Venture. Bought it 4 weeks ago with only 2500km on it and now have almost 4400km on it. I've been keeping track of mileage and it has been consistent.

Question I have is how far can I go on a tank of gas ?

What I'm finding is that :

1) low fuel light comes on about 255km (158.45 miles) - mix of city/highway driving (and I do like to take advantage of the revs on the engine !)

2) with fuel cock still "ON" I can go another 21km (12.8 miles) before the engine starts to sputter and stall

3) if I pull into a gas station immediately after switching to "RES" it only takes 16.433L (3.615 Imp gal, 4.341 US gal) to fill it up (fill so it just touches the bottom of the neck)

From the specs on the bike, fuel tank capacity is 22.5L (4.95 Imp gal, 5.94 US gal) with a 3.5L (0.77 Imp gal, 0.92 US gal) reserve (I take it the fuel capacity includes the reserve).

So... if the spec says 22.5L and I put 16.433L in to fill it up when I finally switch to reserve, does that mean that there really is a little over 6L of fuel still left ? I was on level ground and on the highway when the engine started sputtering and riding in a straight line. If the "Reserve" is 3.5L does that mean that 2.5L (15 % !!) in the main tank isn't available without sloshing the bike around to get it picked up? If that is the case, is 3.5L really available in the Reserve or is some not picked up as well?

Working out the mileage....

I'm getting an average of 47.448 miles/Imp gal or 39.505 miles/US gal - 5.954L/100km

Based on a 22.5L fuel capacity does that mean I can expect to go 378km (235 miles) if I run it totally dry ? I like the sounds of that on a touring bike !

(sorry for all the conversions but this is to a mixed measurement forum ! )