IGNORED

Unbelievable!

BigBear

Today...I noticed that the windshield on my 08 RSV was a little "loose". So I pulled the top fairing screws and removed the chrome trim.

Now I can see why the windshield was loose! Missing 2 screws COMPLETLY and 3 screws just about ready to fall out. The screw that mounts in the hole in thw windshield is one of the screws that is MIA. Closed inspection reveals that screw hole in the fairing is completely broken off. (insert swear word here).

Since it looks like the screws may have fallen inside the fairing, I decide to crack the fairing to look for the screws.

The GOOD...I found one of the screws.

The BAD??? The crossmember that the windshield screws actually attach to is held in place by a frickin' TIE WRAP! The bolt holes that SHOULD be used for mounting the windshield crossmember are rusty...which means that the two flange bolts where never installed. Worse yet, where the windshield crossmembers connects to the inner fairing, those are completely broken off as well. AND...two of the tabs on the Chrome Trim are broken....

The dealer I bought the bike from went out of business several months ago, and the dealer I'm currently has already replaced the turnk lid and left lower fairing due to cracks and broken pieces. He's gonna have a stroke..cause now he will have to replace the entire fairing (both inner and outer).

Has anyone else encountered these types of issues? I know that the bike is still under warranty, but I'm pretty sure the dealer is going to question how these things got broken.

Do you think these "failures" are due to Yamaha "engineering" or the fault of the 16-year old mechanic making $8 bucks an hour to uncrate and assemble these bikes at the dealership??

Me...I'm on the fence! :confused24:

My 05 was also missing the two large bolts holding the crossbar. They must ship with the tie wrap, and install bolts at set up.....sometimes!

As far as the windshield bolts being loose, I didn't notice that. But, I had mine off a few days after I got it to have the windshield shortened a couple inches.

Later, Scooter Bob

Those end tabs are a common breakage issue. Dealer replaced my outer on my 99 back in 03 due to it. He wasnt happy but once he confirmed it with Yamaha he had to do it. As long as it wasnt obviously in an accident there should be no reason for the dealer NOT to replace it. If he balks and tries to say that since you took it apart its your fault, stand your ground or find another dealer. Splitting the fairing isnt rocket science but obviously the tech (and I use that term loosly) never got past the paper plane stage when he assembled it the first time. Windshield should not have been loose either, obviously. Make sure he, or yourself notifies Yamaha if he refuses to do so. Its still under warranty, so........

This is in the Tech section under 2nd Gen. Guides. I believe it is the assembly manual for "16-year old mechanic making $8 bucks an hour to uncrate and assemble these bikes at the dealership". Given the sorry state of school in America I wonder if he can even read it? :whistling: :happy34:

http://www.venturerider.org/private/rsvassemblymanual.pdf

That being said, I was looking at an 07 yesterday and this makes 2 bikes I've looked at, in the last year (an 06 and now and 07) that were missing the reinforcement plates in the rear of the trunk that keep the trunk from cracking. I Looked, the assembly instructions specifically show these parts and where they go. Oh, and it DOES show on which side the CB antenna goes. :buttkick: :Bunny:

Maybe you can take this and run through the checklist and see what else your, incompetent, dealer didn't do.

• 1 month later...

OK...Dealership/Yamaha has agreed to replace "most" of the broken parts (about $1900 worth)...HOWEVER...

According to the dealer, the local Yamaha rep stated that I will have to PAY the hourly rate to have the broken parts removed, and the new parts installed?

Does that sound RIGHT?

I've read, and RE-READ the warranty information in the owner's manual, but it sure seems like this entire repair should be on Yamaha's dime?

OK...Dealership/Yamaha has agreed to replace "most" of the broken parts (about $1900 worth)...HOWEVER...

According to the dealer, the local Yamaha rep stated that I will have to PAY the hourly rate to have the broken parts removed, and the new parts installed?

Does that sound RIGHT?

I've read, and RE-READ the warranty information in the owner's manual, but it sure seems like this entire repair should be on Yamaha's dime?

NO!!! I had the same problem with my bike. The screws were also missing from the bar and it was held with a wire tie. They tried to blame it on me that I had left the screws out when I was in there installing some wires. We had a little debate about that and they ended up paying for everything. I didn't pay a cent. I had mine fixed earlier this summer.

Dennis

Did the yamaha rep tell you that or did the dealer say the rep said that?

The DEALER quoted the Yamaha rep as saying installation $$$ would be paid by me.

I'm gonna call Yamaha tomorrow to get the "straight" scoop (I hope)...:starz:

The DEALER quoted the Yamaha rep as saying installation $$$ would be paid by me.

I'm gonna call Yamaha tomorrow to get the "straight" scoop (I hope)...:starz:

I think your dealer is trying to double dip on the labor. You're making the right move.

If Yamaha does come back and say you pay the labor, I'd just ask for the parts and do it myself.

I've had many parts replaced under warranty. Never have I had to pay the labor charges. I broke the tabs off the chrome piece that goes around the bottom of the windshield but yamaha replaced it under warranty. Yamaha replace my fairing because some of the tabs that the screws go into to hold the windwhield in place were broken. I had the fuel pump replaced under warranty and I had five rear ends replaced under warranty and never did anyone mention paying for the labor.

Issue isn't just with U.S. dealers. See my issue with a used (4 month old) 2009 that I bought a month ago. Yamaha Canada has said that it is up to the original dealer to resolve and that they won't step up to bat.

The chrome piece in front of the windscreen has the broken tabs, assembly of other things was done incorrectly (including the afformentioned wrong placement of the antennas). My local dealer has said that it was assembled incorrectly and it isn't a warranty issue so they won't fix it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51728

Don't think it is an issue with inexperienced techs assembling the bike. Yamaha doesn't sell enough of the bikes for the tech's to know what they are doing. The shop I normally deal with probably has one tech in the shop that assembles Venture's. The other techs probably haven't done one yet.

After a long call to Star Customer service explaining my frustration with the dealer I purchased the bike from (now closed), and discussing "defects in workmanship" and the number of miles on the bike (what's that got to do with the price of chrome at BikeWeek), my issues are to be resolved!

Yamaha WILL be replacing all of the broken parts and absorbing the costs associated with their installation.

Kudos to SpacePort Cycles in Titusville FL for their assistance in working with Yamaha to make me a "happy customer".:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Thanks to Star Customer service (Ty) for being my customer service advocate, and nudging Yamaha to "do the right thing"!:thumbsup2:

Chad was very helpful on our forklegs and mostly helpful on our ignition switch. (He would only pay for one key instead of 2 - I argued for the better part of 1/2 hour over that but finally gave in. He did at least get my 2 main concerns taken care of - both forklegs replaced and ignition switch with key that fits the rest of the bike too.(He paid to have it double cut)

Glad they helped you out - (as the regional rep should have) in the first place.

You know maybe I'm old school or just plain stupid but I don't think we should have to negotiate our warranty claims. Either it is covered or it's not. If they think it is your fault then they should have to prove it. If they can't prove it then they should fix it. You should not have to fight for your rights. Just my :2cents:.

What I find stupid about all of this is that the final assembly of the bike prior to delivery is really the last stage of the manufacturing process. It's referred to as "pre-delivery preparation". Since it is a dealer who does this part, and they are a certified Yamaha shop, then Yamaha should automatically assume responsibility (to the customer) if it's not done right, fix the danged thing and then go after the dealer, after the fact. Unfortunately in this case, the dealer closed shop but that is irrelevant insofar as it pertains to the buyer of the bike.

Has anyone ever heard of a cage or any other vehicle under warranty where the owner has had to go back to the original dealership because of some issue that was not done right during pre-delivery. Big time B/S as far as I'm concerned.

Thankfully they owned up to it and are gonna do something about it but like as stated in another post here... we the customer should not have to fight and argue over this kind of thing.