IGNORED

Heli Coil Kit

Hmm in a bit of a pinch here.. A whilst back a local shop that did a front tire change managed to pooch my front axle.. The shop that did the most recent tire change discovered the damage and advised me that though they were able to clean up the threads, the threads in the fork end is not '100% correct' and should look at putting in a Heli Coil and if possible replace the front fork?

The Heli coil is a 18mm x 1.5 pitch and no one in town here carries any so that means I have to purchase a kit which costs anywhere from $180 to $280 depending where it's purchased.. I've never seen this operation done before, are these kits expensive in the USA, readily available?

Anyone have information as to how these are used, how it works etc? I'm heading down to the USA in a week or two to have my neck bearings done under warranty and hoping the same shop is going to be able to do this task at the same time.. But I can't seem to find out more about it online.. ?

I cannot say for sure about the specific size you need. but Helicoil sets are generally a little hard to find, and especially metric ones. Specialty businesses that focus specifically on nuts and bolts will always be the best chance of finding this, but if you are just looking to try and pick something up in towns you ride through, look for NAPA auto parts stores. In my local area, they are the only one that had any metric sets at all.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

A helicoil is a piece of cake to do. The price you found is way to much. The whole kit should be under $50 anywhere. You get the correct drill bit, an installer tool, and several "coils". What this does is remove the original threads then you thread the hole with the enclosed tap. Then use the special tool to install the new threads that are made of steel. It sounds more complicated than it is.

Check out this link for more info.

http://www.helicoil.com.sg/HeliCoil-Installation-Instructions.htm

HeliCoils are not hard to do, IF you have the right stuff.

The process is;

1. Drill out the old threads using the specified drill size.

A drill press works better than a hand held drill.

2. Tap the new hole using the supplied special HeliCoil tap.

3. Using the tool supplied screw the HeliCoil in till it is 1 to 1.5 threads below flush on the side that the bolt will come in from.

4. Using the supplied tool break the drive tang off of the HeliCoil.

That's it, you have new threads that are stronger that what was there.

You can order a kit from McMasterCarr. Still not cheap though. It is the large size that makes it expensive, most of the cost is the tap.

The M18x1.5 is a common spark plug thread. It is common to strip the spark plug threads in an aluminum head. Many auto repair places will have the kit and you may be able to sweet talk them into doing this for you for just a couple of bucks or a case o beer.

I never even thought about what size he said he needed, so didn't realize it was a common spark plug thread. But of course you are right, and that should make it much easier for heim to get this fixed.

Goose

At some of the better hardware stores you should be able to find the Helicoils and needed tools for installation in the nuts and bolts section. You can buy single pieces that way. Where I'm at you can buy a single coil and the proper size install tool for about $20.00.

Another option is a threaded steel insert. Much more available. It depends on how much meat you have around the damaged hole and how deep you can go. I've used these on the motor cases and side covers on a lot of bikes. Pretty simple. Drill out the damaged hole to the proper size, tap new threads, I like a blind tap for the shallow holes, a little red loctite on the insert and screw it in with a standard screwdriver. You will never have to do it again.

Helicoil is about the same process but ya need the special tool.

I keep an eye on the local "tool surplus" warehouses to. Every now and then I can find a kit with a dozen coils and an install tool for $5.00. Kind of like stealing them at that price. Sadly I don't have any in that size right now or I'd send some up to ya.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Hey thanks for the great info guys, much appreciated.. I have several local shops willing to do the job, once I purchase the kit.. I just gotta find a good kit, at a great price kinda thing.. sigh..

i have purchased several kits over the years, my local Ace hardware store keeps them in stock, and the average price is $35.00 and comes with everything needed other than the drill.

check the ace store where your going??

mike

Hey Pete,

I checked around and because This is a BIG Metric thread, the best price I found for a kit with the Tap, (NO DRILL) Install Tool and 6 inserts was $89.99 plus shipping.

I have purchased from these guys before, good people.

If you are interested in the location, let me know.

Sorry, this is the best I could come up with,:confused24:

Earl

Thread Repair Kit (6 inserts) - 18x1.5 $89.99

Hey thanks for the great info guys, much appreciated.. I have several local shops willing to do the job, once I purchase the kit.. I just gotta find a good kit, at a great price kinda thing.. sigh..

You may have missed the whole point of the suggestion. Since this is such a common size for spark plugs, most established auto repair shops probably already have the necessary kit to do the repair, and it has long since been paid for. Their only actual cost is the cost of one insert - probably $1.50 or so. You should check with various auto repair shops to see if they can do the job on the cheap, maybe as just a special favor for a nice bottle of booze or somethin'?

Goose

You may have missed the whole point of the suggestion. Since this is such a common size for spark plugs, most established auto repair shops probably already have the necessary kit to do the repair, and it has long since been paid for. Their only actual cost is the cost of one insert - probably $1.50 or so. You should check with various auto repair shops to see if they can do the job on the cheap, maybe as just a special favor for a nice bottle of booze or somethin'?

Goose

A machine shop, would also be a good place, to check as well. :2cents:

No need to purchase the tool. Many auto parts stores also have a machine shop. I would check around to see if one of them would install the Helli-coil insert for a more reasonable fee. I usually pay 15 to 25 dollars.

Mike

Goose

Ever see that movie "Oh Brother where art thou?" with George Clooney trying to find Dapper Dan pomade, "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere" I called a few places that do auto works and machine shops etc.. and no one, but not one yet that I have contacted have that specific kit lol.. wow.. When I mentioned that it should be a 'common spark plug thread' the reply was "apparently not common enough huh?" lol would take about 2 weeks to get it in at a cost of around $200 more or less..

Egads..

But I shall keep hunting, Thanks Goose!

Hey Pete,

I checked around and because This is a BIG Metric thread, the best price I found for a kit with the Tap, (NO DRILL) Install Tool and 6 inserts was $89.99 plus shipping.

I have purchased from these guys before, good people.

If you are interested in the location, let me know.

Sorry, this is the best I could come up with,:confused24:

Earl

Thread Repair Kit (6 inserts) - 18x1.5 $89.99

Well it's tons better than what I could find around here!! Worse case scenario is that I get this done later in the winter period.. Thanks Doc..

I gather you're feeling much better than a couple of months ago?

Cheers M8

Advance Auto Parts sells these kits in various sizes. Here is one size...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Fix-A-Thread-Kit-Alcoa-Fastening-Systems_9020045-P_N3482_T%7CGRP2016____

"Kits include everything required to repair stripped or worn threads. Handle provides a base for the tap and it also installs the insert and breaks the tang. "

Napa has the inserts here. http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=BK_7703079_0006396280

EDIT: Here is the complete kit from Auto Zone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-M18-oxygen-sensor-repair-kit/_/N-26gb?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=thread+repair+oxygen+sensor&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=94872_0_0_

Edited by Monty

Seaking

Did you check with any heavy equipment shops ? John Deere, Komatsu. I'm sure they must have some sort of thread repair and prob all kinds of metric on those machines ?

Keith

Edited by KeithR

OK, how about plan 17.45C :whistling:

I did a search for "HeliCoil M18" on ebay and came up with the tap and helicoils for the M18-1.5 thread.

Tap, ebay item 220248586715 - $28.75

helicoils, ebay Item 300433204516 - $11.99 for a 6 pack

Unfortunately this is 2 different sellers, You can try to contact each of these sellers to see if you can get both from the same place to save some shipping.

The tap is piloted to fit the existing damaged thread and is not supposed to need a drill, that will save you the cost and the extra step of buying a drill and drilling it out. Be sure to use lots of oil on the tap.

The M18 thread is big enough that you should be able to get away without the "special" Insertion tool or tang removal tool. To install the coil there should be enough room to just use a pair of needle nose pliers to turn it in. The tang removal tool is nothing more than a punch that just fits the inside of the thread so you can use a small hammer and big punch to break off the drive tang. Just hold the punch tight against the inside of the thread at the end of the tang with the bend, NOT the free end. If you look you will see a notch in the wire which is where it will snap off.

If you do this yourself you can get away with not having to pull the fork apart. If you go to a shop you will most likely have to bring them just the fork.

I am not sure about the length of thread engagement, if the coils are to short you can put in 2 to get the hole fully threaded, if the coils are to long you can cut them off with a Dremel. If it is somewhere in between, put in 1 coil and cut off the second.

Good luck

It appears that Auto Zone sells the kit. It's called an oxygen sensor thread repair kit.

Yes, it is M18 x 1.5

Auto Zone loans all of their tools, so see if they will sell you an insert from the kit, or if you have to replace the insert. You just go and tell them you want to borrow the kit, and they make you leave a deposit, which is the price of the kit, then when you return it, you get the money back. I've used it many times.

It appears that Auto Zone sells the kit. It's called an oxygen sensor thread repair kit.

Yes, it is M18 x 1.5

Auto Zone loans all of their tools, so see if they will sell you an insert from the kit, or if you have to replace the insert. You just go and tell them you want to borrow the kit, and they make you leave a deposit, which is the price of the kit, then when you return it, you get the money back. I've used it many times.

OOOH thanks guys, a wealth of information here.. The shop I go to in Maine is not too far from an auto zone.. so I can drop there and see about 'borrowing' the tools..

Cheers!

I'm quite sure the Thread on the Axle is M17x1.5, NOT M18x1.5.

That said, a Helicoil won't work and won help you at all. That's because you need to be able to pinch the Insert with the Pinch Bolt and that won't happen with a Helicoil. You could use a Time-Sert Insert, which is more a Sleeve and after the Insert is seated, you use a Saw and cut the Insert open through the Groove which is already there. Or use a Dremel with cutting Wheel.

I'm quite sure the Thread on the Axle is M17x1.5, NOT M18x1.5.

That said, a Helicoil won't work and won help you at all. That's because you need to be able to pinch the Insert with the Pinch Bolt and that won't happen with a Helicoil. You could use a Time-Sert Insert, which is more a Sleeve and after the Insert is seated, you use a Saw and cut the Insert open through the Groove which is already there. Or use a Dremel with cutting Wheel.

On point #1 - I have no idea what size the axle thread really is, since I have never measured it. UPDATE: I just measured an axle; the threads ARE, in fact, 18 x 1.5.

But on point #2 - seems like you are way off in left field somewhere on that one. The axle goes through the right fork and screws into the left fork - that is where the threads are, in the bottom of the LEFT fork. The pinch bolt that keeps the axle from turning after it is torqued is in the RIGHT fork, next to the head of the axle, not in the fork with the threads.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Sorry, yes, Goose, you're right about the full Thread in the Fork Leg. I mixed it up with other Forks i worked on recently. Must be the Heat Wave we're suffering, makes the Brain work slowly and finally it's dried out ...

I just got done changing a front tire on an RSV, and while I had the axle out I took the time to measure the threads. I can absolutely confirm that Seaking's original post was correct. The threads are 18mm x 1.5.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

I just got done changing a front tire on an RSV, and while I had the axle out I took the time to measure the threads. I can absolutely confirm that Seaking's original post was correct. The threads are 18mm x 1.5.

Goose

Was there ever any doubt? ;) but thanks for confirming it for me though, before I spent the money on a purchase lol..