IGNORED

rattle noise under stator cover.

I just dont seem to be having any luck this year. I finally got the new brakes working. Talk about a nightmare but we wont get into that. The bike has been in the air for about 3 weeks now while I change the rear diff, Rear shock to a Works and add the R1 brakes. Finally I got to test drive it tonight and barely made it down the block and there is a hell of a rattle and rubbing noise under the stator cover. Now it came on all of a sudden and I dont have a explaination. Last year I added a High output stator but that was a year ago. I havent taken off the cover yet so Im just looking for some Ideas and things to look for.

PS if I put a screwdriver against that cover I can actually feel the hitting.

What do you think?

One of the guys I work with did a stator on his honda and later on it made the sound your talking about come to find out his stator came loose he said it was not pretty when he removed the cover.....

Im actually starting wo worry a little. I though last night in the middle of the night while laying there not sleeping that maybe I had put the washer in backwards. You know the one. The one with the ridge. Now by reading Im thinking maybe I should have bought the Yamaha bolts. Im reading about a staked bolts. I just used stainless bolts with a little locktite blue. Fortunately the noise just started so I doubt there is any real damage in there but I was hoping not to have to pull off that cover.

Any other Ideas?

Starter engage clutch shouldn't make any racket like that after the bike is running. I've had two fail on my '84 and man they sound like they are beating the motor to death when they split while cranking the motor over. Once the bike is running you would never know there was a problem. Not a sound.

The staked bolts you are reading about......are they the ones that attach the engage clutch to the rotor? If ever replaced they should be new and staked in. Don't remember if you ever did an engage clutch......just the upgrade stator right? If the engage/rotor bolts work loose that will cause a rattling noise and slipping when cranking.

Now if the stator is coming loose and that would have to be all the bolts, that might be a problem. I'm interested in what you find.

Mike

Sounds pretty much like one of the three Bolts Holding the Stator in Place has worked itself loose. The Head touches the Flywheel and the Bolt Heads of the Starter Clutch.

If so, nothing too worry too much about

Just got it apart today and Im still a little confused. If I grab the stator it shouldnt move at all right?. Tight to inside of the cover right? If so then I need to tighten it an then seal it back up.If I grab stator it will move around some. I dont see any visible damage. If it is supposed to be able to move a little then what else??

I spent some time on the phone with John at PCW today and went over a few things. During the conversation he asked a few interesting questions. Thal les me to go home and take a few measurements. Now everyone needs to take note on this on, in my case the replacement stator is 1/16th of an inch narrower and though the bolts are the correct ones the thinner stator led to the fact that even though the bolts were bottomed out the stator had a little play. Tomorrow Im going to get some shorter bolts and put it all back together.

BTW I bet the water pump noise I was chasing last year was the stator too. Just couldnt trace it right until it got bad enough. We will prove that too. I just got used to the noise.

Ok guys I finally got it all back together but now it wont start. So far Ive checked fuel and spark. Im pretty sure I dont have any spark.

So far I have checked the connections in the front of the battery where you solder in the stator to make sure I didnt tug any of the connections loose. They are good as far As I can tell. I didnt pull any of the wires much when I took off the cover. I checked the ignition fuse and its good. Are there any other connections I could have disturbed and if so where are they? Is there anything inside that cover I could have disturbed that would cause a no start? And what is the best way to check for spark?

HELP!!!!!!!!

I think the pickup coil for the ignitor is right in there, so that would be primary suspect. I don't know where the plug is for it, bit I'd guess it is close to where the stator plug was. Check the resistance on the pickup coil against the manual, then if it is good, check and make sure it is still where it should be.

As for checking spark, just pull one of the plug wires, clip it on a spare plug, and use a short jumper wire to ground the plug to the frame (if you don't care to simply hold it and test for spark with your skin!). Cranking the engine over should produce a very healthy spark. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

5 wire cable, comeing from the pickup coil under the cover you removed and replaced.

follow that cable, untill you come to the dissconnect plug.

Carefully check the cableing under the rear cover plate that you removed and replaced, make sure its not been pinched or damaged.

Ok guys I wish this all took a little less time. I really want to be riding it. I tested the pick up coil tonight. No continuity so there you go. I put the Ohm meter between the gray and black at the two plug connector and nothing. No contact. So it all comes apart again. I plan to order a new one tomorrow but I know that will cost me. I really want to ride this weekend. I bet I either pinched the wire between the cover or pulled a little hard when I was taking the cover off and broke a wire internally. Thing that still sucks is that I still have no confirmation that I fixed the original problem. I plan to ride for my birthday so Im gonna pay whatever shipping I must to get it by weds.

Well guys I have had a huge setback. I tried to order a new pick up coil yesterday and all I got from all sources checked is its on Intergalactic Backorder!!! None in the US at any of the depots or at any dealer on the dealer parts locator service.

Im going to pull the cover back off friday and am hoping to find a wire bad or something that I can fix on it. If not then I guess its parked for a while. This really SUCKS!!!

If any of you can check with your local dealer let me know and I will call them and order it. I could use the help.

Scotty

Thats it and great find!!! Funny thing is I checked Pinwall yesterday and didnt see this!!! Just ordered.

I hate ordering used electronics but it will get me riding.

I tried to order the one Ruffy had a lead on but like all the others it turned out backordered.