IGNORED

How do you use your scooter?

straycatt

A couple of these ATGATT threads got me thinking (oh nooooo).

What do you use your bike for? If you need to run to the corner store for a gallon of milk, and your an ATGATT kind of guy (or girl), do you gear up or do you just not ride a motorcycle?

What's your cut off point on riding, gear up for a 30 minute ride but take the car for a 20 minute jaunt?

The reason that I ask, is that I don't.

Wear all that gear that is. If I'm in the yard washing the dog and she tips over the dog shampoo, and I need to run up town for another bottle....I'm going in what ever I happen to be wearing at the moment and I'm going on a motorcycle.

If I going to the beach, I'm riding there in shorts and taking a towel. I ride everywhere I go, for the most part.

So, what do you do?

This doesn't need to be a big, safety gear debate (probably turn into one though). I'm just curious how you decide whether or not to ride. :biker:

I use my bike for work and fun. I usually wear my full face helmet but sometimes the half. But am usually in a mesh or jean jacket with armour and try to wear my kevlar jeans most of the time. Gloves are usually a must, except in really hot weather.

Brian

Guest scarylarry
I prefer the bike over any other form of transportation and I wear what I wear on a daily basis. Jeans and boots. Most of the time I wear a helmet.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:And blowing away seashells ventures on the highway....

I am generally an ATTGATT type but if I am only going to the store here in the small town I call home I will ride the DR in shorts and a tee shirt. Thats the way I ride a bicycle and in town The speed isn't that much different. Especially since when I am dressed that way I ride slower than I normally do.

I have to wear boots, chrome shifter is set a little high so running shoes just dont work. Jeans and (I know this will bring a mountain of tsk's) whatever the temperature dictates from full armoured nylon, or jean jacket or even sleeveless tshirt. I hate gloves, as soon as I can remove them, I do. Actually down to a tshirt this aft. which is rare for April in Canada!! Saw a HD dude in shorts and wifebeater, going along the lakeshore too, he must of been cold!

I live only two miles from our small town where I can do a few matters of business. I will usually ride there and back home in whatever I have on and no helmet. If I go any further than that, I will grab the jacket, jeans and full face helmet. Occasionally I will think that I'd like to ride without the helmet that time, just once in a while. Or I'll wear the beenie helmet we have. But I get further than two miles down the road and I realize I don't like the lack of wind and dirt protection for my face and eyes and I wish I had the full face helmet on anyway. So most of the time I put it on from the start.

If my wife isn't going with me, I will always choose to ride, unless it is raining or about to rain. Even if it is going 1 mile or 20 miles to a store or whatever.

My GW had 42,042 miles on it when I got it last May. ...It now has 63+K on it...

That is a guesstimate of about 11+K this past year, but dont forget, I was laid off for 6.5 months too..so I had to lay a little "low" being we had no income to speak of..

If my wife isn't going with me, I will always choose to ride, unless it is raining or about to rain. Even if it is going 1 mile or 20 miles to a store or whatever.

My GW had 42,042 miles on it when I got it last May. ...It now has 63+K on it...

That is a guesstimate of about 11+K this past year, but dont forget, I was laid off for 6.5 months too..so I had to lay a little "low" being we had no income to speak of..

Um, Eck....

-42042=

---------

20958 +

Just sayin.....

:think:

I live in a suburban area. To get to lots of stores all I have to do is wind through my neighborhood residential streets for about a mile and a half, and then cross one major street. That being said, I always throw on my gloves, 99% my helmet, about 90% my leather or armored mesh jacket. But I won't always change clothes, so I might run a quick errand in shorts and running shoes. That probably doesn't make sense, but I assumed you wanted the facts. So I guess I'm not really an ATGATT guy. Sort of a MOTGMOTT guy. Oh, and if I'm in a hurry, I'll take the cage.

In my personal opinion, its a pain in the ass to put your helmet on everytime you ride. Thats why i hate being younger than 18 and living in nebraska. I always take my bike everywhere, even when i go swimming. I've ridden in trunks 20 miles before, its fun. Just dont let the wind pull your shorts up too high. The girls are usually in awe :scared:

My round trip to the nearest store is about 30 minutes on different types of road. Always put the helmet on. Tried riding a couple of times without it and like my brother use to say "he just ain't right" and that's pretty much how it felt. Gloves always also. Don't usually wear shorts but the couple of times I did and used the bike I decided the bike was just too hot for shorts and sandals. Try to use the bike for anything and everything as much as possible.

Edited by BuddyRich

I suit up every time I go out into traffic. I have taken her up and down the street after working on it. I'm in a high traffic zone with lots of clueless nuts on the road. I dont trust em....at all.

Everything I possibly can! It's my daily driver. Weather permitting anyway. Trips to the grocery store, Lumber yard (that usually gets some odd looks), Junk yard (engines & tranies, etc.), Hauling other cycles, snow blowers, tillers, riding lawnmowers, etc. When I was hauling the snow blower one day, a guy asked me if I was sure what season it was.

I live maybe a mile from the beach. I jump on the bike every chance I get, usually shorts, short sleeved tropical print shirt, and a ball cap. I hv noticed a trip to the post office in a cage takes 15 mins round trip, on the bike 1-4hrs. I rarely stray far from hm, I'm on call 24hrs a day, so I hv 2 stay close 2 hm base. If I ride farther from hm I'll wear jeans, boots, long sleeved shirt, helmit, then gloves n jacket pending on weather. So I'm prob no gear 90-99% o time, minimum gear rest o time. I think I'll go check the PO box now!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

i drive the truck as little as possible. most of my miles are on my bikes year round. if it ain't raining and the streets aren't slick i take one of the bikes most of the time. this morning i went out for breakfast and used a tank of gas in my nomad. probably ride 200 miles for breakfast tomorrow morning. i do most of my engineering and planning on my bike. :2133:

I ride everywhere, weather doesnt usually matter. I bought my TD last May new 0 miles and a year later I'm at 19000 miles and counting. I've rode in downpours, ice, blistering heat and it doent matter where I'm going unless what I carry wont fit then I'll take the cage. Let me add that my 6 hour trip on ice was due to me having to be at work the next day. I dont make habits of riding on ice. That trip was only supposed to be 3.5 hours. I do make a habit of wearing leather and always a helmet when I ride.

Edited by bluerstd08

I wouldn't go skiing in my swimming shorts or swim in my motorcycling boots......

So why would I ride without proper gear?

It only takes one mishap and you could be lying there like a turnip on life support for years and years.....being a burden on your family and friends and with all that time to think "why didn't I take the 5 minutes to dress right?"

The only time, thank God, that some idiot came out of a side street and tried to make me into hamburger was half a block from my driveway!!!! If I hadn't been wearing a helmet I wouldn't be writing this because there were tire marks on the shattered helmet..... I got away with scuffs on the side of my chin and elbow....