IGNORED

Do Rev Limiters take the fun out of it?

craigatcsi

While talking with my Son-in-law yesterday, the subject came up about when he had his 'CrotchRocket'. He mentioned a couple of times about the Rev Limiter. I know that my Venture has one also.

Back in my younger days, around 1980, I used to go over Red-Line MANY times on my old 2-Stroke Kaw H1 500. I eventually exploded a piston doing this. But, I did go beyond Red-Line MANY times before that. It always felt like walking a tightrope, knowing that I could blow the engine sometime. Plus, the little extra power it gave got the adrenaline up.

Of course I would NEVER do that on THIS bike, but I still don't like someone else keeping me from being stupid. To me, it's kind of like the Helmet Law, if I want to be stupid and ride without one, it should be my right to.

craigr

Hmmmmm, interesting point! My response, sure, helmets should be optional, but having gone down you'll never catch me not wearing one. Therefore, rev limiters are a good thing, and are set high enough that I've only hit it once...

It would be nice to be able to disable them though but I guarantee all warranties would be off!!

I would rather ride than rebuild. I have a '72 Sportster in the shed that needs rebuilding for the third time that I do not want to do because I am mad at myself for not changing my behavior. Have have rebuilt this motor twice without putting electronic ignition on it to get the rev limiter.

But in the meantime I do have the RSV, that I can ride harder that I could ever ride that Sportster. Rev limiter: 1st - 40+, 2nd - 60+, 3rd - 70+, 4th - ? Ain't found rode for this.

Guest seuadr
While talking with my Son-in-law yesterday, the subject came up about when he had his 'CrotchRocket'. He mentioned a couple of times about the Rev Limiter. I know that my Venture has one also.

Back in my younger days, around 1980, I used to go over Red-Line MANY times on my old 2-Stroke Kaw H1 500. I eventually exploded a piston doing this. But, I did go beyond Red-Line MANY times before that. It always felt like walking a tightrope, knowing that I could blow the engine sometime. Plus, the little extra power it gave got the adrenaline up.

Of course I would NEVER do that on THIS bike, but I still don't like someone else keeping me from being stupid. To me, it's kind of like the Helmet Law, if I want to be stupid and ride without one, it should be my right to.

craigr

it is way simpler than helmet laws.. the only concern i have is with helmets is, i don't want to (as a taxpayer) have to fund that stupid.

on the other hand, i would wadger that bike companies have put a rev limiter on bikes simply because they don't want to have to honor the warranty work without one. probably not so much of a problem with our bikes as the crotch rocket crowd.

You could get a Dyna3000 and turn it up high enough to be dangerous. Mine's set at 7250. I've bumped into it occasionally, but not very often any more. I went from a First to a Second Gen and I'm getting my senses trained. I had it set for 7500 but figured that was pushing it with these valve springs.

How high can you take the rpm's before shifting? I've never hit my rev-limiter.
Ahh, but you should. At least a couple of times. Otherwise how will you know how tight you can wind one? I think the stock red line is 6500 rpms, though I've read one person who quoted 6400. The real point is that the engine is quite happy to run that rpm. It may not be the most economical point on the throttle, but the engine doesn't mind.

Most of the folks who come to the Venture from V-twins tend to under-rev this engine. I met a guy once who told me he liked the Venture, but had trouble keeping up with his buddies on Harleys. I said "Wha...?" I told him to bump against the rev limiter and learn his engine. He did. Now they have to work to keep up with him.

Interesting thread. I've had the '83 up in the high eights a few times, but I haven't had a chance to get the '99 up there yet. If and when I do bump into the rev limiter I'll do something about it. Untill then I'll try not to think about it..... :)

Isn't there some sort of Power Commander that can be added to the bike to change power curves and red line a bit??

The rev limiter protects you in more than one way. It protects you when you are being overly aggresive, and if you accidentally miss a shift.

If you are in a hard acceleration and try to shift from 1st to 2nd and hit neutral instead, the engine can hit the rev limiter in a hurry. No rev limiter, you are walking from that point to get home.

RR

Y'all really ought to try hitting the rev limiter a few times. It doesn't get scary until 2nd. LOL There is a sweet spot at those upper RPMs that just seems like a power boost. I hit my rev limiter almost every time I go out.

Yesterday I found myself riding two up and stopped at a red light with a Road King two lanes over. Those Screamin' Eagle pipes of his were pretty, too. He was riding solo and blipped his throttle and looked at me. Light turns green and off he goes. He shot a good 10' in front of me, but I just had the throttle pegged until I hit the rev limiter. I shifted and kept at it until I hit the rev limiter again. He was pretty funny, ducking beneath his windscreen to be as fast as possible, but I was still walking away.

But that's when my real rev limiter came on. She was screaming over the intercom and pounding my back. I shifted to third, fourth, and O/D right away and just let him run away. I reckon he needed some pride after getting beat by a Tour Deluxe riding two up.

Dave

Since Yamaha gives a 5 year warranty with the bike, they probably don't want someone walking a tightrope all the time on whether or not they are going to blow the engine and then want the warranty to cover it.

I bet there is still room for stupid with the limiter.

The rev limiter protects you in more than one way. It protects you when you are being overly aggresive, and if you accidentally miss a shift.

I've gone over 8k (unintentionally) on my First Gen and hit 7500 a few times on the Second. I set the Second at 7250 as insurance. Don't want to get there too often.

If you are in a hard acceleration and try to shift from 1st to 2nd and hit neutral instead, the engine can hit the rev limiter in a hurry. No rev limiter, you are walking from that point to get home.

RR

That may be a bit of an overstatement. There may be no need to walk. Depends on how high for how long, and whether the valves wind up floating as a result.

I have run my 1st gens up to the 8K mark on numerous occasions, I dont like the factory rev limiter set where it's at on the G2. Your loosing well over 1000 useable rpms on the motor, and this bike WILL still pull good @ 8K, I will be getting the Dana 3K when this '99 is back on the road.

I tend to ride by sound and feel. Hardly look at the tach even though I have one. I would rather be watching whats going on in front of me than to be looking at the tach. So for me a rev limit is a good thing. I'm outta warranty in a month, so I'll be putting on the dyna also but keep it below 8k.

You could get a Dyna3000 and turn it up high enough to be dangerous. Mine's set at 7250. I've bumped into it occasionally, but not very often any more. I went from a First to a Second Gen and I'm getting my senses trained. I had it set for 7500 but figured that was pushing it with these valve springs.

Are these valve springs really that soft? The original V-Max engine these engines are derived made peak HP at 8500 RPMs, not sure what the redline was. The new 1700 V-Max redlines at 9500.

Are these valve springs really that soft? The original V-Max engine these engines are derived made peak HP at 8500 RPMs, not sure what the redline was. The new 1700 V-Max redlines at 9500.

That's kind of the problem. I don't know how far they went softening up the Second Gen valve springs. That's why I've kept it at 7250.

I have a year (about) of warranty left. After that I'm thinking about changing springs and cams. Thing is, at that point the carb size starts to become an issue. The old V Boost cross connects might do the trick, but I don't know if they could be shoe horned in. Even if they fit I'd have to come up with a way to operate them. I have an '85 with 168k on it. Pretty used up, but I can use parts off of it if they'll fit. It's all pretty speculative right now.

I don't really have any doubt about the V-Max springs, I'm more curious about the difference between the Second Gen springs and the First Gen springs. Ultimately it comes down to whether to stay at 7250 or go back to 7500. I'm pretty sure I don't want to push 8k.

Redline on the 1Gen Vmax was also 9500.

It seems they used weaker Springs to help the Fuel Consumption. Plus the Cam Profile doesn't imply that much of Spring Force necesarry. Nobody does ride a big Tourer like a Vmax ... :D :D :D

At least that's what the Engineers like to think :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling: