IGNORED

2nd Gen Fuel Filter

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have almost 13K miles on the bike. In the not so distant future, I plan to replace my fule filter since it is cheap preventative maintenance for my bike. I've read about the NAPA 3011 fuel fitler, but not sure if this if for a 1st Gen or 2nd Gen. At any rate, I may opt for an OEM type filter or go for a 'car' fuel filter.

What do you guys recommend and the best place to order online?

See my post "Inline Filter" 2/20/2011. DanC It might help you. Go to the nearest Napa and save shipping and get it immediately, :cool10:

The answer is there somewhere but I'm half blind with exhaustion tonight, could someone help me out with this one?

After seeing the photos of the fuel filter under the seat which makes it so EASY to change, that would mean having to lengthen the hose from the pump up to the new location.. Do you purchase an off the shelf hose then and cut the existing one to where you want the new location of the filter to be? Or simply cut the hose under the seat area, put the filter there and move the hose down to the pump? Not sure how that would work, seeing how the hose bottom of the filter is bent and all.. ?

Slightly confused how this works..

Oddly enough, does the filter performance change if it's laying on it's side than upright?

The answer is there somewhere but I'm half blind with exhaustion tonight, could someone help me out with this one?

After seeing the photos of the fuel filter under the seat which makes it so EASY to change, that would mean having to lengthen the hose from the pump up to the new location.. Do you purchase an off the shelf hose then and cut the existing one to where you want the new location of the filter to be? Or simply cut the hose under the seat area, put the filter there and move the hose down to the pump? Not sure how that would work, seeing how the hose bottom of the filter is bent and all.. ?

Oddly enough, does the filter performance change if it's laying on it's side than upright?

After changing out my fuel filter last week, I repositioned it so that it sits comfortably up under the seat in front of the battery box, nestled in with the myriad of other hoses and tubes that occupy that space. There was plenty of slack in the bottom hose that runs between it and the fuel pump to do this. It is not in a straight up-and-down vertical position as it was in its original position, but it's not laying horizontally either. More at a 45 degree angle now. I've put about 1,000 miles on it since the change out, and no issues whatsoever. Where it is now, I can get to it for future replacement and only have to remove the seat.

I haven't done mine yet but plan to. I got a length of neoprene gas line hose and will just route that from the new filter position to the fuel pump. Can even use the existing clamps plus one extra.

Because you all convinced me to change my fuel filter with this thread, I did so. Now after finding out that there was nothing wrong with the existing filter (no restriction for air flow), there is no clicking on the fuel pump and the bike will not turn over. Main fuse is OK and the ingnition fuse is OK, now where do I go?

:farmer:

Because you all convinced me to change my fuel filter with this thread, I did so. Now after finding out that there was nothing wrong with the existing filter (no restriction for air flow), there is no clicking on the fuel pump and the bike will not turn over. Main fuse is OK and the ingnition fuse is OK, now where do I go?

You might see if your emergency shut off switch is in the run position, and maybe check the ignition switch to see if the thing is plugged in...??? Just a thought....

Did you inadvertently disconnect the fuel pump electrical?

Ya, as Condor mentioned... check your kill switch .... that lil sukka has fooled many of us... LOL

I am soooo embarresed, it was the emergency switch and I had it running before the work started I must have hit it. I thank you so much Condor and SilverT. I was having a senior moment and was about to go ballistic. Started up fine and all is good. Unless my mechanic changed the fuel filter a year and a half ago, then this is the original. I put in the Purolator F100024. Last week I replaced the thermostat, hoses, o-rings and radiator cap. BTW my bike has 135,000 miles. I want to make sure that I can ride another ten years on Sylvester. In April I will put another 5K on him.

I am soooo embarresed, it was the emergency switch and I had it running before the work started I must have hit it. I thank you so much Condor and SilverT. I was having a senior moment and was about to go ballistic. Started up fine and all is good. Unless my mechanic changed the fuel filter a year and a half ago, then this is the original. I put in the Purolator F100024. Last week I replaced the thermostat, hoses, o-rings and radiator cap. BTW my bike has 135,000 miles. I want to make sure that I can ride another ten years on Sylvester. In April I will put another 5K on him.

heh... you're now part of a VERY LARGE CLUB.... LOL

glad that's all it was!

After changing out my fuel filter last week, I repositioned it so that it sits comfortably up under the seat in front of the battery box, nestled in with the myriad of other hoses and tubes that occupy that space. There was plenty of slack in the bottom hose that runs between it and the fuel pump to do this. It is not in a straight up-and-down vertical position as it was in its original position, but it's not laying horizontally either. More at a 45 degree angle now. I've put about 1,000 miles on it since the change out, and no issues whatsoever. Where it is now, I can get to it for future replacement and only have to remove the seat.

Thanks for the response (Silvt as well).. funny enough, after I posted my query about the filter positioning, I had gone out to do maintenance on my VStar and behold, it's the exact same fuel filter under the seat, mounted horizontally.. well how about that, totally forgot about that.. so yeah, there ought not be any probs mounting it under the RSV seat either.

I'll give it a pull and a tug when I go to do the fuel filter on the RSV and see if I can relocate it up higher under the seat as you have, might give it a fuel proof neoprene wrap or two to keep it from knocking.. If the fuel filter is easy to access then changing it the once a year now becomes even that much easier..

Thanks again to all.

Thanks for the response (Silvt as well).. funny enough, after I posted my query about the filter positioning, I had gone out to do maintenance on my VStar and behold, it's the exact same fuel filter under the seat, mounted horizontally.. well how about that, totally forgot about that.. so yeah, there ought not be any probs mounting it under the RSV seat either.

I'll give it a pull and a tug when I go to do the fuel filter on the RSV and see if I can relocate it up higher under the seat as you have, might give it a fuel proof neoprene wrap or two to keep it from knocking.. If the fuel filter is easy to access then changing it the once a year now becomes even that much easier..

Thanks again to all.

:clap2:

How do you reset the emergency kill switch if it is bumped during filter installation? Do you just switch the ignition off and back on to reset or is their a reset switch some where else? Thanks

If I am not mistaken, its JUST a matter of putting the Emergency Kill Switch (red switch) back to the "run / on" position.. that's all... to close the circuit again.. simple as that..

Unless I am mistaken.. but something tells me I might not be.. regardless what my missus says.. I'm sometimes right.. not often but sometimes.. yes.

I'll be doing my filter today (cold heavy rain warnings today.. then ice and snow..)

My 04 had 14k on it when I bought it, and now has 57k. I never have changed the fuel filter. Is it time?

HUGELY so my friend!! I change mine every year as part of the winter maintenance.. Mind you, I put over 30,000 miles on my bike the past two summers.. ;)

Though it IS a pain in the assets to access, it will save you huge in the long run.. if it starts getting clogged, the fuel pump has to work that much harder to suck fuel through it, then causing the pump to fail prematurely.. which was the case for me..

I bought my bike used with 20,000 miles on it.. 2 yrs old.. no one had previously changed the filter.. I started having fuel starvation problems when the fuel in the tank got below a certain level (above the RES level).. the filter was clogged badly enough that it required the head pressure of a full tank to assist the pump in getting fuel.. after a lower level it couldn't cope and the bike starved of fuel.. A few months later, the fuel pump packed it in..

Change the filter.. they aren't expensive.. but hard to access.. Follow the thread how to get to it..

Well I did my plugs and changed the fuel filter today, and tried the new location people mentioned in this thread.. and well it was easier than I thought..

I kept the sleeve around the new filter (pink!) and tossed the old filter (black!) out, I placed the filter where the photos showed it. The lower hose needs to be snaked and turned around a bit for proper routing that won't allow any accidental pinching or crushing from the other lines in there.. But it does reach from the pump up to the new location.. I haven't cut the inlet hose, but looped it large around and under the frame brace in case I wanted to return the filter to it's original position.. again, making sure no kinks or crushing will occur.. Impeding the flow of fuel is not a good thing..

Did you guys CUT the inlet hose to length?

So now, its gonna be a lot easier to change that frikken filter!! As you can see from the photo, the filter needs to be changed more than just once a year, seeing how many miles I'm actually putting on the bike.. erk!

Plugs are all the same colour, not sooty, little darker than light tan.. but look uniform..

Cheers

Well thanks to this thread I decided to change mine (15,000+ miles) yesterday. Not too difficult and I do think it was time. The old one was rusty colored, maybe from the ethanol? Remove top hose clamp and pull filter out through bottom. What surprised me though, is that no fuel leaked out of the hoses. I do always shut the petcock and the bike hadn't been ridden for a few days, but I would have expected the lines to be full.

Guys, this is the post that made this job a relatively simple one. I had tried everythig to get that filter out of there, finally came back in to re-read this thread. Went thru the whole thing, then went back to find this one post that said it wasn't too difficult. Everybody else, including me, seemed to have a real fight out of it. He's right. Take the top clamp and hose off, and push the filter DOWN. With the 2 bolts out of the fuel pump, I could get the filter out far enough to get the hose off the bottom, and out she comes!! I'm still going to relocate the filter to just under the seat to make it easier the NEXT time I change it, but Leland hit on the best way to change it the FIRST time anyway. I did have the middle cover loose on the left side of the bike, and the center screw on that cover out. It gave me a little more room to work, but I'm not sure it was necessary. Thanks Leland, and good luck to everybody else who tries this service themselves.