IGNORED

2nd Gen Fuel Filter

Glad to hear you have replaced your Fuel Filter with success, LeLand. You beat me to it. I had planned to replace my filter this weekend, but I ended up cutting the grass, pulling weeds, car wash, bike 'wipe' :thumbsup2:, and family errands. Next thing I know, it is already 8 pm Sunday night....I really need to get to it tonight for the weather is turning out to be nice for the next 5 days. :Venture: Safe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night, I finally got the chance to change my fuel filter. It took me just under an hour after unbolting the cover, fuel pump, and that small black plastic that is to the left of the filter. What is that part called that is left of the fuel filter and a relay type looking piece just in front of the fuel filter?

As I was putting everything back together, I discovered that the bolt that fastens the white clamp as depicted on the picture has a bolt behind it...it was almost impossible for me to put it back together without dropping the back bolt so I decided to use a plastic plug to hold the clamp in place and I don't think it is going anywhere.

At the end, it took me longer to wipe around the hoses and parts...it sure is pretty dirty in there. As a preventative maintenance, I am thinking every 15K miles my fuel filter is going to be replaced.

Last night, I finally got the chance to change my fuel filter. It took me just under an hour after unbolting the cover, fuel pump, and that small black plastic that is to the left of the filter. What is that part called that is left of the fuel filter and a relay type looking piece just in front of the fuel filter?

As I was putting everything back together, I discovered that the bolt that fastens the white clamp as depicted on the picture has a bolt behind it...it was almost impossible for me to put it back together without dropping the back bolt so I decided to use a plastic plug to hold the clamp in place and I don't think it is going anywhere.

At the end, it took me longer to wipe around the hoses and parts...it sure is pretty dirty in there. As a preventative maintenance, I am thinking every 15K miles my fuel filter is going to be replaced.

I never unbolted the fuel pump, so why are some of you doing this?

After the first time takes about 20 mins, have not done the relocation project yet.

After the first time takes about 20 mins, have not done the relocation project yet.

I used the OEM filter and relocated mine up under the seat several months ago so I don't think I'll have too much of a problem changing it again when needed. I left the rubber around it to help absorb any kind of shock that might occur but I really don't think it's necessary. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to check or change from here on.

For just two 10mm bolts, I figure it is worth it to have more working space in as tight as the Venture. With the fuel pump out of the way, I can easily have one hand holding the hose and a pliers on the other hand. The next time I replace my filter, it may take me about half hour with no competition around me. :Cool_cool36: Good Luck on your relocation project and let us know how it went.

I used the OEM filter and relocated mine up under the seat several months ago so I don't think I'll have too much of a problem changing it again when needed. I left the rubber around it to help absorb any kind of shock that might occur but I really don't think it's necessary. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to check or change from here on.

Thanks for the pic. The relocation of the fuel filter is ok. Well done!

Just bring the original into a parts store and make sure the diameter isn't to big and hose ends aren't to small. I even put the original rubber sleeve over it. works just fine for $2.47 it a fuel filter just like what a car would use.

• 8 months later...

New question:

I finally removed the old fuel filter to put the new one in - - and yes, it was a colossal PIA getting to it, but I finally got it figured out - - and as suggested in this and prior threads, I bought a new Purolator F10024 replacement filter. All I can say is that they don't even remotely resemble each other. Pics attached. The new filter (silver) is on the left.

The new one seems to be much larger in all respects, especially the openings on each end.

Any suggestions? Should I be overly concerned about their differences? This is the first fuel filter change-out I've done on this bike, and obviously it's WAY over due.

Thanks.

interesting, I need to change mine, but will wait and see what kind of response you get, thanks for the pics

New question:

I finally removed the old fuel filter to put the new one in - - and yes, it was a colossal PIA getting to it, but I finally got it figured out - - and as suggested in this and prior threads, I bought a new Purolator F10024 replacement filter. All I can say is that they don't even remotely resemble each other. Pics attached. The new filter (silver) is on the left.

The new one seems to be much larger in all respects, especially the openings on each end.

Any suggestions? Should I be overly concerned about their differences? This is the first fuel filter change-out I've done on this bike, and obviously it's WAY over due.

Thanks.

OK, scratch that. I'm a dumba$$. That black thing is not the fuel filter. Apparently it's some kind of vacuum, as the hose connected to the bottom of it just dangles down through the bottom of the bike and is not connected to anything.

Back to square 1 trying to get the actual fuel filter out.

:(

Sorry but had to smile at that!!! aint it fun??

OK, scratch that. I'm a dumba$$. That black thing is not the fuel filter. Apparently it's some kind of vacuum, as the hose connected to the bottom of it just dangles down through the bottom of the bike and is not connected to anything.

Back to square 1 trying to get the actual fuel filter out.

:(

No problem. I'm laughing at myself right now too. Man do I feel stupid sometimes. But I'm really operating in the dark here, and I just know I'm going to screw this thing up big time. I learn things visually, not by written instructions, so I wish there was a video of how to change this sucker out! Grrrrrrr......

well I will be of no help as I have never done it...

No problem. I'm laughing at myself right now too. Man do I feel stupid sometimes. But I'm really operating in the dark here, and I just know I'm going to screw this thing up big time. I learn things visually, not by written instructions, so I wish there was a video of how to change this sucker out! Grrrrrrr......

Mission accomplished. When push comes to shove, start pulling everything out of the way until you can get to the sucker! Anyway, I got the old one out, and it had to be the original. It was brownish-yellow and had a rubber jacket on it so it would nest in the little cradle down there where I found it, and is twice the size of the replacement, which is now safely nestled up in the nest of hoses and rubber tubes at the base of the tank, so it can be accessed without taking anything but the seat off. After I got everything back together I fired it right up and ran it for a good 20 minutes, and it sounds smooth as glass on the throttle.

I agree with whoever said to re-route the tubing between the filter and the fuel pump to make it easier to access. But the devil is in the detail, and making sure all of the clamps are on tight and the filter is installed with the "flow" arrow pointing the right way is essential.

I'll be taking a nice ride this weekend to make sure everything works properly. Damn snow is showing up again tonight and tomorrow here in the ATL. I hate winter!

Good Deal!!!

Mission accomplished. When push comes to shove, start pulling everything out of the way until you can get to the sucker! Anyway, I got the old one out, and it had to be the original. It was brownish-yellow and had a rubber jacket on it so it would nest in the little cradle down there where I found it, and is twice the size of the replacement, which is now safely nestled up in the nest of hoses and rubber tubes at the base of the tank, so it can be accessed without taking anything but the seat off. After I got everything back together I fired it right up and ran it for a good 20 minutes, and it sounds smooth as glass on the throttle.

I agree with whoever said to re-route the tubing between the filter and the fuel pump to make it easier to access. But the devil is in the detail, and making sure all of the clamps are on tight and the filter is installed with the "flow" arrow pointing the right way is essential.

I'll be taking a nice ride this weekend to make sure everything works properly. Damn snow is showing up again tonight and tomorrow here in the ATL. I hate winter!

I was gonna tell ya to come up here to Chattanooga and we could knock it out! But you got to it already. Left work tonight to find about an inch of that white stuff on my bike. Thankfully the roads were not iced, yet!

Getting ready to start with the white flaky stuff here in Marietta too. Gonna be a fast mover though, and it should be a distant memory by mid-afternoon. Thanks for the offer. I'm sure the first time I make it to a M&E Maintenance Day around her, some of the guys will get a pretty good laugh at how I put the whole shabang back together under the seat! :rotf:

Mission accomplished.

Glad to hear all went well. Great job.

I am also planning to fire up the bike tomorrow and commute to work. Need to do safety checks first - since the bike has been sitting for a month now.

It is finally starting to warm up especially this coming weekend.

Ride Safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Using ya's suggestions I replaced mine today and surprisingly found it fairly easy to remove. For what it's worth to anyone that hasn't done it, I proceeded as the previous post suggested. I didn't have to remove the center cover, just unbolted it to move it out a bit. Once the fuel pump was taken loose (most do) I worked my fingers around the filter and slid it off the two flat posts that hold it secure, pulling it from the left side of the bike. Once off the posts, I pulled it straight out the top, where I disconnected the fuel lines (plenty of slack n fuel line). After installing the new filter, I slide it down into its original position. As another posted, there are two filters in there side by side. The fuel filter is the white plastic filter (right side of the two). The flow direction or out is down. I installed the fs3330 from auto zone, it ran like a top afterwards.

Edited by jfoster

The cheapest shipping option is $12.00 for UPS ground. Pretty typical. To me, these type products are usually cheaper at your local dealer if you have one close by. I can buy the filter for about $12.00 including tax from my local dealer as opposed to ordering it online for a total, including shipping, of about $21.00.

Been doing that a lot lately on the cheaper items. Doesn't make sense to order online and pay those 'creative writing' shipping fees...