IGNORED

2nd Gen Fuel Filter

I have almost 13K miles on the bike. In the not so distant future, I plan to replace my fule filter since it is cheap preventative maintenance for my bike. I've read about the NAPA 3011 fuel fitler, but not sure if this if for a 1st Gen or 2nd Gen. At any rate, I may opt for an OEM type filter or go for a 'car' fuel filter.

What do you guys recommend and the best place to order online?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't replaced mine on the RSV yet but I did on my Road Star. I did a little research and found this one. The reason that I picked this particular one is two-fold...

First, it filters down to 12 micron where most others that I have found are 40-80 micron. And flow is not a problem. I took the pump off of my Roadie and am gravity feed only and it provides all the fuel that it needs.

Secondly, it was less than $5. :hihi:

EDIT: LoL I just checked and the 33011 WIX is the NAPA 3011. Sounds like the way to go!

BigBoyinMS, good info. Looks like the NAPA 3011 is possible. I guess using a car fuel filter does not really matter, if one uses it on a RSV. As long as they are the same size and the spec is comparable to the OEM filter, this is probably the way to go since I pass by NAPA every day 5 times or more a week.:motorcyclehelmet:

I use an automotive type filter in mine. I bought one which was slightly thinner than the stock one so I dont have the hassle of getting it out of the holder. I just pull up on the fuel line and un-do the clamps. Makes replacement much easier.

This is what I found online...

SKU: 1FK-24560-10-00

FILTER ASSY1$9.12

# 28 under 'Fuel Tank' drawing. http://www.foxyamaha.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx

The cheapest shipping option is $12.00 for UPS ground. Pretty typical. To me, these type products are usually cheaper at your local dealer if you have one close by. I can buy the filter for about $12.00 including tax from my local dealer as opposed to ordering it online for a total, including shipping, of about $21.00.

I use an automotive type filter in mine. I bought one which was slightly thinner than the stock one so I dont have the hassle of getting it out of the holder. I just pull up on the fuel line and un-do the clamps. Makes replacement much easier.

Hello Ruffy. Just curious. What type of car filter did you use on your Venture?

The cheapest shipping option is $12.00 for UPS ground. Pretty typical. To me, these type products are usually cheaper at your local dealer if you have one close by. I can buy the filter for about $12.00 including tax from my local dealer as opposed to ordering it online for a total, including shipping, of about $21.00.

I contacted SHSPowersports.com and got a price for the filter of $8.00. Robert at SHSPowersports.com said that he will discount shipping down to $4.00 since it is a small part for a total of $12.00...pretty close to your cheapest find. I appreciate your input and you do have a point on getting the filter locally as opposed to having it shipped...later on today, I'll be calling my local Yamaha dealer and find out how much will a Fuel Filter cost. I will post this afternoon for the local price.

Edited by N3FOL
Wrong Business Name

Ruffy,

Thanks for the part number and took note of it. The next time I replace my fuel filter, Purolator will be my next choice.

I just placed my order yesterday at SHSPowersports for an OEM fuel filter for $8.78 + $4.00 S&H, total of $12.78 shipped in front of my door. My local Yamaha dealer 16 miles away has the same OEM fuel filter for $15.05 a filter. So it was a no brainer for me to order the part online and have it shipped.

A few minutes ago, I inquired on the Purolator F100 24 that you posted as a replacement and our local Advance Auto sells the filter for $4.00 each...much better price. :sun:

Take off the left and center cover behing the battery and you will see the fuel pump. Next to the fuel pump to its right (if I am not mistaken) is the fuel filter.

For you at 15K miles, I say go ahead and replace that with the F100 24 Purolator Fuel Filter for around $4 dollars.

FWIW, I change the fuel filter on my tractor every year no matter how much I use it. I plant to replace my Venture's fuel filter every year as well.:thumbsup:

Take off the left and center cover behing the battery and you will see the fuel pump. Next to the fuel pump to its right (if I am not mistaken) is the fuel filter.

For you at 15K miles, I say go ahead and replace that with the F100 24 Purolator Fuel Filter for around $4 dollars.

FWIW, I change the fuel filter on my tractor every year no matter how much I use it. I plant to replace my Venture's fuel filter every year as well.

As one of those unlucky to discover his bike's previous owners never change fuel filters on his 2006 Midnight, I religiously change mine each year now. I had such a clogged filter last summer that it caused a lot of strange symptoms and most likely caused the premature failure of the fuel pump..

It's a nasty job to change it.. but not as nasty as what I went through last summer..!

Change your filter once a year.. at least change it at some time or another ;)

does autozone or napa sell these F100 24 Purolator Fuel Filters ?

Yep, its a regular auto filter. Any auto parts stores should carry it. Its slightly narrower that the stock Venture filter and it slips into the opening nicely. Makes future changes much easier. Ive been running this filter for 5 years now. No, not the same filter...I have changed it several times....:smile5:

does autozone or napa sell these F100 24 Purolator Fuel Filters ?

+1 on any major autoparts store that carry the Purolator brand. Advance Auto particularly carry Purolator filters.

I just received my fuel filter yesterday and is made of white plastic on the outside. Installation will be this Saturday and I should remember to follow that 'Arrow' direction on the fuel filter in relation to the flow of gasoline. :think:

+1 on any major autoparts store that carry the Purolator brand. Advance Auto particularly carry Purolator filters.

I just received my fuel filter yesterday and is made of white plastic on the outside. Installation will be this Saturday and I should remember to follow that 'Arrow' direction on the fuel filter in relation to the flow of gasoline.

You mean it's not "This Side Up" arrow? lol.. just kidding!!

Today I was in an O'Reilly's store and checked on the Purolator filter F100 24. They didn't have one in stock but did have a Wix 33027 which is the equivalent of the Purolator filter. I bought it since I need to change out mine as well.

It was tagged at the sum of $4

Larry

Later today after pulling the factory filter and comparing it to the 33027 Wix I decided to check on other filters available. I ended up getting a FF3330 (G478) ( $4) from Auto Zone. Although the Wix filter would do the job I liked this one due to the fact that I can still secure it the the frame just like the factory filter was. I reused the rubber attachment from the old filter and slipped it on the FF 3330 one.

Note: my bike has 34k on it and the stock filter still worked good thou I could tell it was begining to get restricted. Blowing by mouth thru it and comparing that to either of the new ones I could feel the restriction. Maybe 25% - 30% more restriction than a new filter.

Edited by Carbon_One
up dated info

Today I was in an O'Reilly's store and checked on the Purolator filter F100 24. They didn't have one in stock but did have a Wix 33027 which is the equivalent of the Purolator filter. I bought it since I need to change out mine as well.

It was tagged at the sum of $4

Larry

Later today after pulling the factory filter and comparing it to the 33027 Wix I decided to check on other filters available. I ended up getting a FF3330 (G478) ( $4) from Auto Zone. Although the Wix filter would do the job I liked this one due to the fact that I can still secure it the the frame just like the factory filter was. I reused the rubber attachment from the old filter and slipped it on the FF 3330 one.

Note: my bike has 34k on it and the stock filter still worked good thou I could tell it was begining to get restricted. Blowing by mouth thru it and comparing that to either of the new ones I could feel the restriction. Maybe 25% - 30% more restriction than a new filter.

Great info, Carbon One. Now we have a lot of choices now. Looks like we can have:

a) OEM Filter

b) Purolator F10024

c) Wix 33027

d) FF3330 (G478) - not sure of the brand you got (Purolator?)

I am now very curious on the FF3330 filter. After doing house chores today, it may be a good time to swing by my local Advance Auto. :thumbsup:

My reasons for choosing the F100 24 filter was that it was slightly narrower than the stock filter, thereby making it easier to replace in the future. Removing that filter from its holder was a real PIA. Now all I have to do is to pull up on the hose and access the clamps. The filter still sits within the rubber mount, just not secured by it.

Great info, Carbon One. Now we have a lot of choices now. Looks like we can have:

a) OEM Filter

b) Purolator F10024

c) Wix 33027

d) FF3330 (G478) - not sure of the brand you got (Purolator?)

I am now very curious on the FF3330 filter. After doing house chores today, it may be a good time to swing by my local Advance Auto. :thumbsup:

The FF 3330 filter had the name Luber-Finer on the box. http://www.luberfiner.com/content/fuel-filters

The G478 printed on the paper insert leads me to believe it may be a name branded filter that it's compared to.

I just did a search on the G478 number. This filter is used on the Dodge Omni, Plymouth Horizon, Chevy S-10 ( 82-85 yrs), & some Chryslers. Not sure of the years for the Chrysler cars but it appears that this filter was widely used at one time.

Well thanks to this thread I decided to change mine (15,000+ miles) yesterday. Not too difficult and I do think it was time. The old one was rusty colored, maybe from the ethanol? Remove top hose clamp and pull filter out through bottom. What surprised me though, is that no fuel leaked out of the hoses. I do always shut the petcock and the bike hadn't been ridden for a few days, but I would have expected the lines to be full.