IGNORED

Thank God for the VR list on the GPS

Vanantwerp

Was going to Marietta,Ohio with some friends on our annual ice breaker ride. Wasn't going to take my trailer, but my wife changed my mind at the last minute. I had pulled it around Lake Michigan last summer with no problem. Got to about Athens,Ohio and the right wheel fell off. It broke the weld where the axle was welded to the frame. Found Dave 0317 name on the list and was only 10 miles away. By the way, this was at 10 at nite. Dave 0317 came with his truck to pick it up. Asked him if he knew of somebody with a welder so I could fix it. He made a couple calls and an usher at his church had one. So we took off to get it fixed. Got it done even checked other side to make sure it wasn't cracked also. Said our thanks and goodbyes and got back on the road and wouldn't you know we only got 10 miles down the road, on the other side of town, and the other wheel came off, snapped the axle. Called Dave 0317 back, he still hadn't made it home yet from the first time. He came to pick up the trailer to take back to his house so we could finish our trip. I will be going one day next week to pick it up. Just wanted to praise God for Dave 0317 signing up on the website and for coming to my rescue.

As just signing up as a new member I was really pleased to see the VR List, what a great idea. Is there a place to put in GPS co ordinates that I may have missed? Also if you are planning a trip how is the best way to know what members are along your travel route?

aww sucks it weren't nothing...I had a great time meeting the guys and was happy to help out. Made for a exciting night (for me...cuz I didn't have the problem:smile5:)

Glad the rest of the trip went well...look forward to seeing again!

Wit great anticipation and all 3 of my GPS charged and ready I too await this answer I have yet to break down on either of my bikes, but it could have happened easily this weekend when a bearing went south on my Vulcan. Even if closest member had no facilities to fix, just having a safe friendly place to leave the bike would be a Godsend!

I am another one that hopes to never have to use assistance, but if I do, it would be good to have some friends tucked away that could help me. How does this work; I don't carry around the listing or have my laptop with me.

Come on guys and gals; help me out.:thumbsup:

Was going to Marietta,Ohio with some friends on our annual ice breaker ride. Wasn't going to take my trailer, but my wife changed my mind at the last minute. I had pulled it around Lake Michigan last summer with no problem. Got to about Athens,Ohio and the right wheel fell off. It broke the weld where the axle was welded to the frame. Found Dave 0317 name on the list and was only 10 miles away. By the way, this was at 10 at nite. Dave 0317 came with his truck to pick it up. Asked him if he knew of somebody with a welder so I could fix it. He made a couple calls and an usher at his church had one. So we took off to get it fixed. Got it done even checked other side to make sure it wasn't cracked also. Said our thanks and goodbyes and got back on the road and wouldn't you know we only got 10 miles down the road, on the other side of town, and the other wheel came off, snapped the axle. Called Dave 0317 back, he still hadn't made it home yet from the first time. He came to pick up the trailer to take back to his house so we could finish our trip. I will be going one day next week to pick it up. Just wanted to praise God for Dave 0317 signing up on the website and for coming to my rescue.

Thats why I will stay a member in good standing; it only takes once to need a friend you've never met to come to your aide.

That would be alot of work for the boss. So I looked up a site that you can punch in address's and get the co-ordinates so you can put them in your GPS. Says it's easy. I just have a bunch of address's in my GPS, plus I have plenty of phone numbers in my cell. Here's the site, hope it helps you guys out.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?form=address

Margaret

That would be alot of work for the boss. So I looked up a site that you can punch in address's and get the co-ordinates so you can put them in your GPS. Says it's easy. I just have a bunch of address's in my GPS, plus I have plenty of phone numbers in my cell. Here's the site, hope it helps you guys out.

Margaret

The multiple address geocoder looks really promising!

Dave

Margaret

I took the Excel list and put the city, state, and country as the first three columns. Then I saved the list as a .CSV (comma separated). I copied the first handful of lines and pasted it in the multi-address box. Voila, approximate GPS coordinates!

The page lets you save it as a .GPX file, which I can load into MapSource. Here's the result:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4521457886_1500e70cbb.jpg

I might create State-based GPX files using this method. I'd personally load them as POI files. If I could figure out the format, it would be better to have name/handle/phone differently done in the waypoint information.

Would there be any interest in this? Thanks Margaret for the idea.

Dave

Folks, I think it is a great idea and would even load it into my own unit but I just don't have the time to put it all together. If somebody wants to take the project and run with it, I'm all for it. If not, I promise I will put it on my "to do" list but it will likely be a while until I get to it.

Folks, I think it is a great idea and would even load it into my own unit but I just don't have the time to put it all together. If somebody wants to take the project and run with it, I'm all for it. If not, I promise I will put it on my "to do" list but it will likely be a while until I get to it.

I'll generate state maps if someone can tell me that they work for them. I have decent tools that makes generating them simple, if tedious. I just want to know that I'm not wasting my time and giving false hope.

I'll attach the TX map, that I made for my own use. BTW, I use the POILoader program from Garmin to store them as findable points of interest in my GPSr.

Dave