IGNORED

Cracking AVON Venoms

Condor

I ran Commanders on my '93 VR. I liked them a Lot except the rear seemed to be somewhat loose in the wet. They gave me good and controllable Drifts, though. :D :D :D

You gotta keep in Mind, my Expectation on Grip Level are somewhat higher, since I'm always running recent "superglue's" on my other Rides...

Since they were on the Bike when i bought it, i have no Idea how the Mileage on the Commanders was. I would have gone for another Set, but these are not allowed in Germany on the VR (no Paperwork) and i wouldn't want to go through another major Hassle and half Fortune spent to get them inspected/permitted, like on my turbo and the '99 Max. Changed to ME 880(these are certified here)....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly being in the tire business, everything but M/C tires I ask what kind of cracking? Why I ask this is if its a surface cracking you would most likely find that on all tires. I see that very often on car and truck tires and it raises no alarm. If you start seeing deep cracking like the material is pulling apart and exposing the fabric under then I would be more alarmed. The strength in a tire is in the fabric and not in the rubber. Now tell me if this is the same for a M/C, I think so. I know light cracking would raise no worry for me on a car and as far as the Avon I think if you look hard enough at the other brands you may find this too. Its just right now we have Avon under the microscope. Its not that long ago we had large square chunks breaking out of the Metzlers from delamination.

Honestly being in the tire business, everything but M/C tires I ask what kind of cracking? Why I ask this is if its a surface cracking you would most likely find that on all tires. I see that very often on car and truck tires and it raises no alarm. If you start seeing deep cracking like the material is pulling apart and exposing the fabric under then I would be more alarmed. The strength in a tire is in the fabric and not in the rubber. Now tell me if this is the same for a M/C, I think so. I know light cracking would raise no worry for me on a car and as far as the Avon I think if you look hard enough at the other brands you may find this too. Its just right now we have Avon under the microscope. Its not that long ago we had large square chunks breaking out of the Metzlers from delamination.

I gotta agree with you, the strength of a tire is in the casing, but.... handling is a direct result of rubber condition. Throwing a tread on a MC tire will be a lot more dangerous than throwing one on a car or truck at 65mph. Perhaps one of the reasons something catrostrophic hasn't already occured is because Avon is under the microscope, and I bet that the knowledge of Metzlers seperating at one time may have saved a few mishaps with that brand. Avon wouldn't be waranteeing their sidewall cracked tires if it wasn't a possible problem. I have to tip my hat to the Avon Warantee Dept, and their treatment of the problem, but I think it may go deeper than that. Product liability might be the biggest motivating factor.

I sent an email to Avontyres yesterday after leaving my last post to tell them about the cracking on my rear. Shortly after, I got a responce back.

--- On Tue, 3/30/10, Corbett, Kevin A. wrote:

> From: Corbett, Kevin A.

> Subject: RE: Contact us (avontyres)

> To: a1bummer@yahoo.com

> Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 12:47 PM

> Hi Bill, I will need to know the

> tread depth of your tire, the size and a picture to start a

> warranty.

> Kevin

I'll send him the requested information and see what happens next.

Mmm avon say's cosmetic huh! Maybe we should be talking to dunlop and other manufactures instead of Avon . Let them know that they need to get with it and start displaying the new cosmetic hair line cracks. I am sure it would do wonders for there sales.

Whites walls are out, Hairline cracks are in.

:rotfl::rotfl::doh::bang head:

Dunlop E3 Series tires !! Nuff Said :thumbsup:

This Avon Problem has been going on for about 3 years now, OK, I got suckered into buying a Set of Avons. ( I admit that )

But Never Again !! I had a 3/16 length little Stone, go thru the Front Tire !!! Slow leak, yes, But as far as I am concerned, that,

and all the other complaints, and the Photos just posted here,

NO WAY, Will I ever buy another set of AVONS, Why Take the Chance ?????

Why, is this even being discussed ?? Over and Over, Avon has Blown it!!!! As far as I am concerned,

I have had ZERO, Problems with Dunlops !! Even the Cheap ones, they just wear out faster--

I have a near new set of E3's on now, and I have been pushing them to the Limits, on the road. Zero Handling complaints !!!

( yes I know, they handle great, -- Until ???? then what ?? )

Edited by GeorgeS

Guest studiojma

Finally got to check the date code on my rear tire. 2909. 1000 miles on it. Didn't even think to try to use a warrantee because they were put on by a previous owner. Just got my new tires in the mail. Decided to replace both at the same time. To my horror, the date code on the rear is 2909, a one week difference and the front tire is 2909, the same week as my defective rear. Wonderful.

Finally got to check the date code on my rear tire. 2909. 1000 miles on it. Didn't even think to try to use a warrantee because they were put on by a previous owner. Just got my new tires in the mail. Decided to replace both at the same time. To my horror, the date code on the rear is 2909, a one week difference and the front tire is 2909, the same week as my defective rear. Wonderful.

Where did you get the new ones from?

Ok...so what is the real issue? Since I no less than everyone else about tire mfg; is it poor quality control, made in China, poor pours, material and design cannot handle the environment, poor molding, wrong temp pour, inexperienced/unhappy workers, poorly engineered molds, etc.... :puzzled:

Warrantee seems not to be an issue with the company as they seem to willingly offer replacement. Maybe they should be offering Dunlops? If I had known what I know now, maybe I should have insisted?

Mine aren't as bad as Bummer's. Mine are more in the middle of the tire, and look more like spider veins. They're not deep. so I am not really worried about them. I will run them until June, then I will buy a set of E3s.

Dunlop E3 Series tires !! Nuff Said :thumbsup:

This Avon Problem has been going on for about 3 years now, OK, I got suckered into buying a Set of Avons. ( I admit that )

But Never Again !! I had a 3/16 length little Stone, go thru the Front Tire !!! Slow leak, yes, But as far as I am concerned, that,

and all the other complaints, and the Photos just posted here,

So George.... What are you trying to tell us??? :rotf: But just for the record, when did you experience sidewall cracking on yours...:confused07:

Well I did not have cracking, as I installed the Rear, in April, and Removed the rear in DEC, because it was at 10K and not enough wear left to get thru the Next season.

The FRONT, I Installed in Aug that year, went about 2800 miles, In Dec, I found a small 3/16 sharp stone had penetrated the Tread, and had an Extremely Slow leak.

Yes I could have patched it, But the fact that the small stone had penetrated, was enough for me to Throw both the AVON's in the Trash Bin !!!

But, SO many folks on this web site have reported sidewall Cracking, over a period of about 3 years now !! And with the Photo's just posted, and the Rears Don't wear any better then the average brand. And Avon does not seem to have fixed the problem, Why Bother With Them ????

E3's, run to near 20K on the Rear, they have higher Wgt Rateing, They handle just as good as the Avons, So why Bother with Avon's ????

( And the Dunlops, don't suck up little sharp stones )

Dunlops-- ZERO PROBLEMS --- It don't get any better then that, and 20K on the Rears ! Handling, and brakeing is just fine !! And Half as much time Spent Changing the Tires. ( half the expense for those who pay dealer to changer their tires )

The FRONT, I Installed in Aug that year, went about 2800 miles, In Dec, I found a small 3/16 sharp stone had penetrated the Tread, and had an Extremely Slow leak.

Yes I could have patched it, But the fact that the small stone had penetrated, was enough for me to Throw both the AVON's in the Trash Bin !!!

If the Avon weren't so much of a handling improvement over Dunlops, I woulda done the same thing George. 10,000 on a tire isn't a deal breaker. And the stone leak... Let me tell you about my truck tire. Armstrong Rhino 10ply 1200/16.5 M&S. Went 4 wheeling up in Nevada and ran thru some shale. Had a piece penetrate an inch of tread, the overlay, and all 10 plys of nylon, out in the middle of nowhere. So that can happen to anyone... and any tire. I don't think Avon was at fault.

What is a glaring problem is the sidewall cracking. So far there are 24 tires on the list and doing the math that's 1% of 2400 tires. That would equate to about 1 out of 4 members running the Avon Venoms. And I bet there's a lot more members who have had cracking problems, they just haven't chimed in yet. :group cheers:

So George.... What are you trying to tell us??? :rotf: But just for the record, when did you experience sidewall cracking on yours...:confused07:

Or put it this way Jack . Read thru all the postings on this thread, one more time.

Then ask yourself, why would anybody in his right mind ever buy another Avon??

I got a reply to my last email to Avon yesterday asking for my address so they could send out a new tire. We'll see how this next one holds up.

If anybody is interested, here's the website to Avontyres that I found the contact information. http://www.avonmoto.com/

And here is the name of the guy who helped me out with the warranty and his email address. Corbett, Kevin A.

Due to the guys email address, (@mickeythompsontires.com), Condor had pointed out that this guy may only be a dealer. He also posted a tele # in an earlier post to call them directly. I never did find out for sure if he was a dealer or actually working for Avontyres. Either way, I don't really care as long as their willing to send me a new tire under warranty.

Here are some pictures of what my tire looks like.

Or put it this way Jack . Read thru all the postings on this thread, one more time.

Then ask yourself, why would anybody in his right mind ever buy another Avon??

You're right George. That's the reason for this thread, and that's why I started it. I don't have to re-read it. It seems that Avon is trying to avoid the obvious. A recall on all Venoms sold in the US. Fortunately no one has been injured or killed yet. Their warantee approach to the problem has been above and beyond, but from what I can see... so far... the problem still exists, and if they have tried to resolve the problem, they haven't been very successful. One or two cracking problems would be isolated incidences. 24 cracking problems, and counting, is a potential design defect.

Edited by Condor

I got a reply to my last email to Avon yesterday asking for my address so they could send out a new tire. We'll see how this next one holds up.

Here are some pictures of what my tire looks like.

Yep, that's what my first front tire looked like with less that a thousand on it. The second built within 2 weeks of the first started cracking too, but not as bad. It was also waranteed. This third front tire has been doing good.... I have around 6000 on it... and so far so good. I bought a front and rear the first time around, and didn't actually replace the rear until just before Cody. Keeping a watchfull eye on it....

I put an Avon Venom on late last year, so only about 1,000 miles on it so far. I just inspected it closely, and see no problems with it. As I am close to needing a new front tire, I'm going to order a matching Venom front. That sounds like a gamble based on what's being posted in this thread...

I see that there is both an H and a V rated rear tire in size 150-90/15. I have a V rated rear. I wonder if that might make a difference? V=rated at a higher speed than H.

I put an Avon Venom on late last year, so only about 1,000 miles on it so far. I just inspected it closely, and see no problems with it. As I am close to needing a new front tire, I'm going to order a matching Venom front. That sounds like a gamble based on what's being posted in this thread...

I see that there is both an H and a V rated rear tire in size 150-90/15. I have a V rated rear. I wonder if that might make a difference? V=rated at a higher speed than H.

Order the E3, Front . One more thing about the Dunlops, The Caseings are about twice as thick !!! I know, cause I cross cut them to check !!!!

A 3/16 inch little stone will not puncture the Dunlop, like the Avon Front I had.

And they last longer !! And they cost about the same price,