IGNORED

Cracking AVON Venoms

Condor

Order the E3, Front . One more thing about the Dunlops, The Caseings are about twice as thick !!! I know, cause I cross cut them to check !!!!

A 3/16 inch little stone will not puncture the Dunlop, like the Avon Front I had.

And they last longer !! And they cost about the same price,

OK, I was wondering about mixing up my tires, but may do this.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wear photo my E3 at 9,060 Miles.

Also, if you cross cut an old E3 Caseing you will find the caseing is almost 1/2 inch thick under the Tread.

The Cheaper Dun 404 Series tires, have a caseing thickness of about 1/4 inch.

Edited by GeorgeS
add photos

I got my warranty replacement yesterday via UPS. Date code is 3809. We'll see if this one lasts any longer. Now I just have to go burn off the rest of the old tire so I can get this one on. Have there been any reports of any accidents happening due to the cracking?

Condor:

Since you switched the table over to that linked my information was transferred inaccurately.

I have corrected your entries on the table below:

LilBeaver, 1F, 1000, YES, 2005, 05/2009, REPL'D AVON

LilBeaver, 1R, 1000, YES, 2005, 06/2009, REPL'D AVON

LilBeaver, 1F, 10k, YES, 2008, 05/2010 , REPL'D NON AVON

LilBeaver, 1R, 9.5k, YES, 2008, 05/2010, REPL'D NON AVON

Front and Rear tires (Avon Venom), cracked sevearly, less than 1,000 miles on each, replaced under warranty, Tires dated 2005

Replacement tires Dated late 2008, within the last 2 weeks started showing lots of cracks on sidewalls and in some places within the treads. Will replace but will not be Avons.

I don't know if cracks are the right word for it, but definitely checked.

I bought my set in may of 2008, put a good 14K on them and just our right love them...until yesterday when I noticed that the front had some type of slice across the front tread and SEVERAL bulges in the tread.

The really sad part is that I really like the tires, handled great and wore nicely: I bet i could have easily got another 3K to 5K miles out of them. But I don't trust them now, especially after reading the various forums/blogs...AND the really, really cruddy part is that they are White-Walls. Very hard to find anymore.

And with that said...$210 to be spent for a set of Michelin Commanders: good price, but in black...."Always bet on Black"

Enjoy!

:buttkick:

I don't know if cracks are the right word for it, but definitely checked.

I bought my set in may of 2008, put a good 14K on them and just our right love them...until yesterday when I noticed that the front had some type of slice across the front tread and SEVERAL bulges in the tread.

The really sad part is that I really like the tires, handled great and wore nicely: I bet i could have easily got another 3K to 5K miles out of them. But I don't trust them now, especially after reading the various forums/blogs...AND the really, really cruddy part is that they are White-Walls. Very hard to find anymore.

And with that said...$210 to be spent for a set of Michelin Commanders: good price, but in black...."Always bet on Black"

Enjoy!

:buttkick:

Have any pics of the damage. From your discription it sounds more like tread damage than a sidewall problem?? 14K out of any tire is good...

Add one to the list of cracking sidewalls. While checking brakes and tire wear tonight I found three cracks on my sidewall of the front tire. I have already ordered a Dunlop E3 for the rear, but the front has almost all the tread left. When I talked to the Avon rep, I was informed that new tread depth on the front is 4.7mm, mine is at 4.0mm checking with a depth guage. Any chances they'll replace it with a Dunlop E3?! I for one really like the handling of the Avon, and was a little worried to go to a Dunlop on the rear with my Avon on front. After doing some reserch on this site, I feel a little better about it. However for those of you that have had both Avon and E3, how is the E3's nimbleness at slow speed turns compared to the Avon?:confused24:

Thanks in advance,

Big Mike

Add one to the list of cracking sidewalls. While checking brakes and tire wear tonight I found three cracks on my sidewall of the front tire. I have already ordered a Dunlop E3 for the rear, but the front has almost all the tread left. When I talked to the Avon rep, I was informed that new tread depth on the front is 4.7mm, mine is at 4.0mm checking with a depth guage. Any chances they'll replace it with a Dunlop E3?! I for one really like the handling of the Avon, and was a little worried to go to a Dunlop on the rear with my Avon on front. After doing some reserch on this site, I feel a little better about it. However for those of you that have had both Avon and E3, how is the E3's nimbleness at slow speed turns compared to the Avon?:confused24:

Thanks in advance,

Big Mike

You added to the list MIke. Fill us in on the details when you get them.

I don't think you'll have a problem getting the front waranteed

MILEAGE......WARANTEED(y/n).......DOT DATE.......REPLACEMENT DATE

• 1 month later...

This rear tire gave an impressive 19,623.6 miles,:thumbsup2: as you see with the photos there were no cracks blemishes etc. Tire was made 08/08 I rode it to the wear Bars

Tire was installed Sept 08

I have replaced it with another Avon dated 29/09 We will see if they will crack

I had Venoms one my 88VR and they had cracks in the tread from day one. I went back to my dealer and he said that was normal, they also put the wrong size on the front. I had around 20,000 miles on them a they looked pretty good tread wise. BUT going over Steel deck bridges were a nightmare even when they only had a fer miles on them.

Last year I was traveling with Yooper, going over the Mackinaw bridge the front end started shaking so bad that the handlebars bouncing from the extream left to right, as far as they could turn in each direction. There was construction on the blacktop so we were forced to go on the steel side. It was so bad that I told Yooper I wouldn't back across... we took the Ferry instead.

I had a new front tire ordered (Dunlope Elete II) but it didn't arrive in time so we left anyway. Also before leaving I had a new Rear Dunlope put on. When we got back to

Yoopers the front one was there. I have no problems now on them steel deck bridges.

• 1 month later...

Well, I heard there was a cracking issue. Question: has anyone determined if it happens more on the 2nd gen or 1st gen size tires? Looking at the link. I noticed more 2008 date codes with issues than others. I have Avons on my other bike as well...Roadriders.This corresponds to my Roadrider front issues. The front did develop minor cracks. But I had it warranteed before the cracks became an issue. They sent my local shop a tire that was just 6 weeks old, DOT code mid -2009. I think they had a bad run of rubber moulding in 2008. NOW on the Venture-May 2010, I replaced my VenomX @ 15k, 9 year old front , due to fear of the rubber getting old(tread cracking) and not giving good braking and safe handling. ...It had at least 5k left on it. I think now...I should have left it on the bike. Now the 5 year old rear VenomX with ONLY 10k needs to be replaced. The sidewalls of both look like new. I always check pressure at least every 2 weeks...even when not riding.43 front, 47 rear on my '87VR. New VenomX tire, I only have about 800 miles on the front with a date code- mid 2009. Looks good...so far. Sounds like I could be in for issues on the VenomX. Hope I am lucky enough not to deal with this. SO, I will hold out as long as possible on getting a rear Venom tire. PS- I have 2 bikes , thus the only 2k a year mileage on the 87VR although I did do 3500 last year. Also, this is not likely a design defect. UNLESS they have significantly changed the construction process or overall design that I am not aware of. Remember The VenomX has been around approx. 10 years. Only now are we seeing this issue in a high quantity.

Edited by jasonm.

After following any thread about tires on this board, there seems to be one tire that I just haven't heard anything bad about. Mitchelin Commanders. While doing a half fast search on Google I ran across this site. Almost makes me want to buy a set just because.... MOTORCYCLE SUPERSTORE I'm not endorsing this dealer, but their prices are comparable to South West Moto, and over $75 bucks is free shipping. Heck that would be one tire most of the time.... :)

I just checked my tire a bit more careful using an LED flashlight. DATE CODE 2309- FOUND my 1st spider crack @800 miles. SH*T, my previous Venom had 14k and the sidewalls looked like new. Since I have 2 bikes only put 2-3k a year on this bike. These tires will likely be cracked to hell before the tread is half worn. SHOOT ME NOW!:depressed:

Are commanders load rated "C" ? Now, I do not know what to get on the rear? Conti-tour ...Maybe???

Edited by jasonm.