IGNORED

Why do they haul their bikes?

Kirby

Hey c'mon guys it was just a question. No need to get your panties all in a wad. Seriosly this is the response I was expecting . I'm sure everyone that hauls their bike has a good reason. I'm not saying we should ride everywhere we go. But yet isn't thast why you bought the bike in the first place? Or was it simply because you wanted to be a B-I-K-E-R. Some people just like so SAY they own a bike. In my case, Ill be glad when I get to the point in my life that I can take off from work long enough to ride all 49 states and Canada. Until then I'll just have to make do with 1000 to 1500 miles on a weekend. After all you've got to have the PASSION for riding! Or, just be CRAZY, like me!! I told you all in the beginning that I was going to stir it!! Thanks for all the responses. Now enough talk, Let's go ride!!!

My bad.... I thought you posted the question to 'stir things up'.....

Trailer on!!! Arrrgh..... :sign20:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: the trailering part... I trailered my RSMV home from Calgay last Nov when I bought it because it was just too danged cold to ride it. I wanted to cover it up for the trip so nobody would see that it wasn't a Harley! :rotf: :rasberry:

RE: buying a bike just so you can say you own one... my son lived and dreamed to own a Harley. Finally he got enuf for a down payment and got his '03 Anninversary Edition Sporty 1200. He didn't even know how to ride it so I had to ride it home for him from the dealer. He didn't ride it much that year but in '04 he put about 8,000 km's on it. Since then it's been sitting either in his house or in my garage with the odd day out for a ride. It sits because he can't afford the insurance due to his bad driving record. His buddy bought a Road King at the same time and added about $10 grand of goodies to it... he's not even put 5,000 km's on it since he bought it. It sits in his living room LOL

Neither of them hesitate to mention that they "own a Harley" whenever the opportunity arises LOL

If I am going someplace for a weekend or long weekend I will ride and stay in Motel. If I am going for 4 days or more I trailer behind my Motorhome and stay in campgrounds. Have all the comforts of a motel, plus get to sit around campfire at night and cookout. It is all about enjoying yourself.

I used to have old cars, only low mile unrestored ones. I trailered them to the far away shows, and got some of the "trailer trash" talk, but hey, I have the right to do what I want with my money and time in the old USA! I respected the other owners and drove my cars more than many people with similar vehicles. I now have "driver" quality and don't trailer hardly at all.

As for bikes, a lot of Harleys I see on trailers are chrome/custom/modified bikes that frankly just aren't useable for the long haul, and they may want to go into the bike show without spending their entire vacation cleaning it. That's Ok by me. I haven't hauled my bike except when I first got it, and it needed some TLC that I couldn't do, and I hauled it to the shop.

The wife and I may haul our bikes to some far away destination because one or both of us may decide we would rather ride the roads there fresher and have back up if something happens. If someone makes fun of me, I will remind them that they are a jerk and that is MY opinion! :stickpoke:

It is about enjoying the ride, no matter how you get there.

When I go on a long trip and want to take the bike my choices are to trailer the bike or leave my wife home. I've been known to chose both ways. I trailered the Yamahawg up to Minnesota after labor day and had a Harley road glide pass me. The rider turned around and waged his finger with a big grin on his face. Having the trailer option means I have more opportunities to ride rather than less. At least I have the option when I get where I'm going. It's not my favorite choice, but sometimes its the only option.

I like the way Kent (V7Goose) put it: "Hauling rice". I like that. I think I'll name my trailer the "Rice Wagon".

It's whatever makes folks happy. My wife and I love to ride and we find excuses to ride. We've been on a 1000 mile trip before and wouldn't consider trailering. We have a 3000 mile trip planned for next spring and are looking forward to it. The thought of why people trailer bikes has never corssed my mind. We did go to a rally once and it was very crowded. There were a lot of trailers sitting around the rally and my wife did ask me "why do you think people trailer a bike from a far with open roads to get here to try to ride in almost no go congested traffic then trailer the bike back home?" Although it was an interesting question I didn't have an answer for her and we have never thought about it since.

Here is something that will give you some laughs: We have an 03, 34 foot 5th wheel camper with 2 slide outs that hasn't been used in 3 years. We'll throw a tent on the bike and take off and not look back. We'll ride through rain, cold and everything but ice and snow. We're not trying to "show out", the both of us just love to ride. While we are out on a trip, just about every night my wife and I will get a good laugh at being in a tent with a NICE 5th wheel camper at home. But for us, it is the passion for riding.

Well I've been known trailer from ocaisionally. I do ride about 20,000 miles per year and my wife rides with me on most of the trips, be it to Utah, Montana, Colorado or wherever. However, because she tolerates my trips she gets a beach vacation as well and she wants to take the umberllas and floats and the kitchen sink. So in order for me to get some riding time in on those vacations I need to trailer and I'll be doing it again in a couple of weeks. So if anyone sees this poser going down I-75 next week, honk and wave.

Dennis

Guest BluesLover

Only time any of my bikes get on a trailer is if I need to get out from the snowbelt and head south.

The 06 RSV had 52,000 miles on her when she was written off last October and the 09 Ultra, bought last October 25, has 25,000 miles on her now. And, I'm still managing to get some miles on the 99 Virago 1100 and the Honda 500. That's not bad considering I live in a part of the world where the riding season is 6-7 months long, at best. Don't think any of them are "garage queens".

By the way, here's some simple math for ya (if you can understand it):

• let's say that there are 10 times the number of HD's out there than there are RSV's
  • if 10% of ALL riders trailer their bikes, then
  • you're likely to see 10 times more HD's on the back of the trailers than you would see RSV's

Cheers,

Edited by BluesLover
the 85 Honda Shadow is a 500, not a 400

Poser?? Hey dude, I've trailered. You calling me a poser?? If you have to ride around sweating or freezing your a$$ off, and picking gnats out of your teeth to meet your definition of a 'true biker' so be it, but count me out. Endless miles of mostly the same scenery just to get to the photo-ops and you think that's fun?? Enjoyable?? I think it's boring as he!!... You want the wind in your face go sit in front of a fan... So just because a member wants to trailer in comfort, and ride when they get there, doesn't make them any less a rider, or a poser (sic). It makes them smart....:stirthepot:

http://www.spaceg.com/multimedia/collection/motorcycles/bugs%20in%20teeth%201.jpg

hey condor, i would'nt waste my breath on an a-hole like goose. i would'nt lower my self to his level. i was riding when he was a thought in some ones mind. a bad thought at that. :stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: snarley bill

I would always rather ride my bike than trailer it. BUT, last summer I hadnt had the bike very long and really didnt trust a 24 year old bike to go on a 4 to 5 thousand mile trip to California and back. Eespecially when parts seem to take a while to show up for these 1st gens. So i just trailered it to Sacremento and rode with Condor and Lone eAGLE and a few others down to Venture West in LOS OSOS.

As it turned out it was probably a good thing as it broke while I was in Los Osos. Jercoupe and Bev hauled my bike in the back of their truck back up to Condors place so I could take it back home and get it rebuilt.

Brian

Hey c'mon guys it was just a question. No need to get your panties all in a wad. Seriosly this is the response I was expecting . I'm sure everyone that hauls their bike has a good reason. I'm not saying we should ride everywhere we go. But yet isn't thast why you bought the bike in the first place? Or was it simply because you wanted to be a B-I-K-E-R. Some people just like so SAY they own a bike. In my case, Ill be glad when I get to the point in my life that I can take off from work long enough to ride all 49 states and Canada. Until then I'll just have to make do with 1000 to 1500 miles on a weekend. After all you've got to have the PASSION for riding! Or, just be CRAZY, like me!! I told you all in the beginning that I was going to stir it!! Thanks for all the responses. Now enough talk, Let's go ride!!!
hey kirby, i ride about 25,000 miles a year, when i go a distance over 200 miles, and i take my wife with me i trailer because she has major health problems,(like 4 brain aneurysms) and can't go any farther than that. i hate for her to even get on the bike, but she insists on doing it for me. i ride rain or shine all year round. i'll ride till the black ice moves in. than i only ride in the daylight hours. i ride almost every day of the week. i figure i am a real biker because i live eat and sleep them 24 -7. not because i go out looking to be tough or a hard a--. i build them, ride them, dream about them, have alot of commeraderie with other bikers, and i even ride a lowly motor scooter. i don't know what a real biker is supposed to be, but i think i fill the bill. :2133: ps. if some one just wants to say they own a bike. thats their right. i will still respect them and wave at them on the road. to me they are a biker. :clap2::clap2: snarley bill

Only time any of my bikes get on a trailer is if I need to get out from the snowbelt and head south.

The 06 RSV had 52,000 miles on her when she was written off last October and the 09 Ultra, bought last October 25, has 25,000 miles on her now. And, I'm still managing to get some miles on the 99 Virago 1100 and the Honda 400. That's not bad considering I live in a part of the world where the riding season is 6-7 months long, at best. Don't think any of them are "garage queens".

• let's say that there are 10 times the number of HD's out there than there are RSV's
  • you're likely to see 10 times more HD's on the back of the trailers than you would see RSV's

Cheers,

Good come back Lou. I would still love to have the bike you have now if I could afford both. Happy to see people do what ever they want with their toys and would say most here would be hard pressed to compare to your mileage this year.

Cheers,

So, does this mean that for every RSV I see on a trailer, the next 10 will be HD's??

-OR-

does this mean that, since I've now counted 10 HD's being trailered, the next one will be an RSV?

:rotf: :rotf: :sign just kidding: :witch_brew:

Guest BluesLover
So, does this mean that for every RSV I see on a trailer, the next 10 will be HD's??

-OR-

does this mean that, since I've now counted 10 HD's being trailered, the next one will be an RSV?

:rotf: :rotf: :sign just kidding: :witch_brew:

Statistically speaking Rick, you got it!

It's sorta like gambling in Vegas, eh? As soon as you have left that machine after hitting it for 100 turns, the next guy gets it on the 101st... :innocent-emoticon:

Cheers,

Statistically speaking Rick, you got it!

It's sorta like gambling in Vegas, eh? As soon as you have left that machine after hitting it for 100 turns, the next guy gets it on the 101st... :innocent-emoticon:

Cheers,

I Think I'll NOT be doing any gambling anytime soon, statistical or otherwise LOL

Oh wait... I buy lotto tickets.... and let's see, I guess I've boughten a couple hundred so that means, statistically speaking, if I buy 26 million more, the next one after that I'll WIN!!! yipppeeeeeeeee!!!!

:rotf:

After reading all the negative comments on trailers I wonder why anyone should care what the next guy does with his gear. If I choose to trailer my bike to a destination to ride for a few days I don't figure I owe anyone an explanation. Maybe some of the critics just wish they had a descent trailer?? Condor summed up the best reasons for trailering over long distances. :happy34:

We recently rode our 99RSV to Sturgis from Cincinnati, Ohio. We rode all the way on the bike with out the use of even a motorcycle trailer. We had no complaints really. The bike performed perfectly.

But if we were to ride that far again, 3600 miles, we probably would use a trailer, simply for the avoidance of strong winds, cross winds in the prairie states and the bad weather that can pick up in a flash of an eye.

Like I said, we really had no problems with the bike.

The cross winds were rough, but like I said we endured it. I guess it depends on how long of a time you have for your trip. We were gone for 8 days.

And I really would not look down on someone who does trailer their bike, because I know that we did it the other way too.

Edited by Yama Mama

OK I have to confess. I trailered my bike to the Catskills this summer from Vermont. But I had to bring a lot of stuff because we cooked four dinners and all the breakfasts for 13 to 16 people. We rented a huge house with 8 bdrms and because of the high prices in the area to make it more affordable one of the other guys and myself cooked the meals. I was a chef for 30 years and don't mind cooking in fact I kinda enjoyed getting back into it. One of the nights we had Mexican and needed a fry for it and I brought it plus outside chairs and other things we needed to cook plus food for the week. We rode in the area for 7 days and had a blast and it costs us $125 apiece for the house and $25 for food for all the breakfast and 4 meals fit for a king.

I've read all the posts and seen a bit of pot stirring also. :) Here is my opinion. I could care less if you ride your bike all the way or trailer it to where you are going. There are many different kinds of bikers. Some love the "iron butt" rides and others prefer the comfort of the auto or truck A/C and being out of the weather but LOVE the open skies ride of a bike when they get to that scenic destination. As far as I'm concerned, all are bikers that enjoy riding whether it be long distance or just for local site seeing. The only ones that are POSERS in my opinion, are those who simply bought a bike because it was the "in thing" to do and all it does is sit in their garage or once a month to a local gathering spot to show it off.

We've had trailers show up at most every VentureRider rally or major Meet that we have held. There will always be some light hearted teasing but those that show up with the trailers are just as highly regarded as those that ride thousands of miles to get there.

So, come on over to my house for Maintenance Day in June. There is always plenty of parking for bikes as well as for your trailers. Either way, we will have a great time and you will be more than welcome.

I'll add one more thing. I can think of many reasons why I would trailer if I needed to. Weather, health, whatever. I'm lucky that my wife is willing to sit on that back seat for hundreds and/or thousands of miles but if she wasn't willing to do so, I would much rather trailer if it meant she accompanying me.

The trailer thing is a joke guys, you how to you get a Harley to daytona, On a trailer

My wife has lupus she can't ride 500 miles and then enjoy herself when we get to our destination. So for long distance trip her road star rides the trailer.

Now she can do daytona 250 miles for biketoberfest, but generally pulls the trailer in the truck with my sister in-law who also has lupus. The guys ride.

Now Bobby Hancock's 07 blue electra glide, and my white 04 RSV, if you see them on a trailer, DIAL 911 they have been STOLEN.

I don't think someone who owns a hardtail pan head is going to ride 500 miles at the time.

As far as a real biker, to me its the ones that been riding for years, always had a bike.

We have several friends that had bikes(harleys) because its the now thing.

to each his own.

But remember its supposed to be a free country.

Gregg

Somebody at work asked me if I rode any over the weekend. I told them I did and that it was so pretty out Sunday that I had seen tons of other bikes out. I even saw some guys pulling their Harleys on trailers.

I just threw that last part in there because one of the guys at work has a Soft Tail and he has to change the gas when he changes oil because he rides so little.

:crackup: