IGNORED

insurance ripoff

saddlebum

I just opened my invoice for my motorcycle insurance which I received in Fri mail:mad: My insurance has just increased by just over 40% to $962.00 for the year:mad: and I don't even carry collision coverage, this is strictly liability :mad: At a time when few people are lucky to even get a 2% wage increase, assuming they still have a job, how do they even justify it:mad: The Company I am currantly with is KINGSWAY GENERAL INSURANCE and you can bet I will be switching.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM CANADIAN RIDERS WHO TO CHECK OUT.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!! I know my Canadian friends are showing prices in Canadian dollars but that really seems high. I have Progressive insurance and I pay 228.00 (USD) full coverage for a 1 year policy, and $12.00 of that is for roadside assistance. Using current exchange rates you guys are close to 550 - 600 (or more) a year US. And add to the fact that your riding season is a bit shorter than ours as well. Someone is making lots of money north of the border.

I feel for yall up north. My insurance is with grange here in ga.

My RSV, the wife's road star both with full coverage, cl 360 and the cl 100 have liability only. and my insurance payment is $290 yearly for all 4 bikes.

Ofcourse the biggest things is what ins companies don't tell you, my motorhome ins was $85 per year for liability, I thought full coverage would be to high, but after hearing what windshields for them cost I decided to check on full coverage. To my surprize it was $124 a year. The old travco now has full coverage plus. I don't really know what the plus included but for $144 a year I thought great. The windshields are $3000 installed, $144 dollars yearly would be cheap if they were to get broken.

Gregg

I don't know if Grange is in canada, but If they are check them out.

I pay approx $360.00 a year for pl/pd and passenger coverage on my 84. I am with RBC insurance and got a quote online. I found them a bit less than Primmum. My local company which has my other vehicles was almost double the RBC quote. Not sure why we have to pay so much in Canada especially when we don't tend to be as 'litigious' as our American friends.:080402gudl_prv:

I was with Kingsway, they jacked my rates so I went for quote to Dalton Timmes in Ancaster, saved me about $300.00. They didn't tell me who they used, but I took it, That was last year. Guess what, when the slip came in the mail, it was Kingsway.:think: This year my broker for my car, van and house offered me a better deal, seems Economical decided to start writing MC, so now I paid about $450.00.

I have 3 bikes all over 1100cc but just have basic liabilty on all because each is 25 yearts or older. I'm paying about$160.00 a year.

I'm curious because I no nothing about the Canadian insurance industry. Aren't there more than one company even if the government is in partnership with all of them? There should still be some kind of competition between them?

I was with Kingsway, they jacked my rates so I went for quote to Dalton Timmes in Ancaster, saved me about $300.00. They didn't tell me who they used, but I took it, That was last year. Guess what, when the slip came in the mail, it was Kingsway.:think: This year my broker for my car, van and house offered me a better deal, seems Economical decided to start writing MC, so now I paid about $450.00.

I think Dalton Timmies uses 'Road Wings'. They were the least expensive that I found but I still think I'm paying too much, $898. for full coverage with clean record. That quote just came in and is up $50. from last year with no claim. I asked why my rates went up and they said it's because of what they've had to pay out (funny that the rates never go down for the same reason). I don't like that I have to pay two full insurances for two vehicles when I'm listed as the only driver and can only drive one vehicle at a time! :confused24: :mo money:

I ain't touching this one!! My opinion on Insurance companies is not appreciated.

I'm with you, this can go soooo many ways. I just can't beleive they charge so much up there for ins. All I can say is UNBELEIVABLE. WOW. I bet you get a lot of "unisured motorist" claims from those who are insured.

WOW i only pay $233 a year for full coverage on my 87VR with Geico

You might want to talk with your Geico rep and ask him if your insurance will "pay as you go" if you have any Dr. or hospital bills related to an accident..

Geico does not pay as you go... you have to pay out of your own pocket until you are ALL better... then send them the bills. They then send you all kinds of paperwork asking you to list ever Dr. you have ever seen over your life span and what hospitals you have gone to for whatever ailment...dates, and why you went. They will drag it out for a long time until you get so discusted you just say the heck with it and tell them to forget it.

This is how they can give you such low rates..ask me how I know..They STILL have not paid a darn thing for my accident since March 26th of this year.

I have paid everything out of my own pocket..

and they just sent me a premium payment bill for another years coverage...HA..

Ok so I get on the phone with kingsway this morning. The woman I spoke to assure's me that I have the highest possible rating with all the available discounts, it's just because in may they had a rate increase (this is were Gomer Pyle probably would have said SURPRISE, SURPRISE , SURPRISE). I have not heard back from my broker yet either. I did an online check and Primmum was 729. and Riders plus was 621. I informed of this but that did not seem to stir anything, almost like they want to get out of the Motorcycle Insurance bussiness.:think:

Edited by saddlebum

I pay 1400 bucks for government insurance here in Manitoba....no other options either!

:sick:

Let's see... ICBC insurance costs me $192/month.... thats .... thats.... OMG!!! thats TWO THOUSAND, THREE HUNDRED AND FOUR DOLLARS A YEAR!!!

And gas is around $1.12/litre (appx $4.24/US gallon).

I NEED A RAISE! ... it's no wonder I've had to reduce my beer consumption!

Isnt' all insurance in Canadian government run? And isn't that why premiums are so high.

Only some provinces are government insurance. Alberta, I believe, is still private ins. Here in BC, you have to get your basic 3rd party liability and your plates thru ICBC (govn't ins) but I believe you can purchase all the rest from private ins but I haven't really looked into that.

I've got this one figgered out......

You guys in the Great White North pay so much for your governmental insurance, because you need to help defer the costs of your socialized health care. And by riding motorcycles (you fools!!!), you are involving yourself in a high-risk, inherently dangerous activity.

(It's a good thing you ALL don't play hockey....that would send your premiums through the ROOF!!!!) :stirthepot::rotf::stickpoke:

your socialized health care

Here's a classic example of how our socialized, government run health care system works....

Last week my wife's daughter who is a bartender, sliced a good chunk off the end of her thumb while cutting up lemons. She went to a clinic... they told her they couldn't help her because they'd already reached their "daily quota of patients". She went to another clinic... it was supposed to be open but wasn't (probably for the same reason)...then she went to a 3rd clinic... the doctor was an idot, did a terrible job of bandaging and she had to have her boss re-do it to properly stop the bleeding. That whole process took her about 2 hours. Now, had she gone to the emerg at the hospital, she would most likely have had to sit and wait for 5 hours before anyone would even look at it.

Yes, we have government medical and in many ways it is a good thing but in many ways it isn't.