IGNORED

Motorkote comments and tracking??

Got the MotorKote yesterday and put 8oz in the 08RSV and 10oz in the pickumup truck. Will put some in the XYL's car tomorrow and while I'm at it just for the heck of it I think I'll put some in the lawn tractor...

Question on filters???:: Back about40 yrs ago or so, seems to me my uncle was selling AMZOIL and said that it required a special filter that I believe was made from cotton fibers?? Was that so, and is it so now?? Or can regular oil filters be used (Fram,Purolator etc)?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the MotorKote yesterday and put 8oz in the 08RSV and 10oz in the pickumup truck. Will put some in the XYL's car tomorrow and while I'm at it just for the heck of it I think I'll put some in the lawn tractor...

Question on filters???:: Back about40 yrs ago or so, seems to me my uncle was selling AMZOIL and said that it required a special filter that I believe was made from cotton fibers?? Was that so, and is it so now?? Or can regular oil filters be used (Fram,Purolator etc)?

Amsoil is no different than other oils as far as what filter is used; however, I think Amsoil produces filters so that could have been a "sales gimmick"...???

let us know the results on your scoot re: adding the MotorKote.

NOTE TO ALL:

MotorKote will NOT REMOVE this whine some of us have,

It will just make it more tolerable and make the whine

range tighter and more Quite mainly in 3rd , 4th and 5th.

Did I describe that right? :scratchchin:

I just do not want folks to thing this stuff will remove

it all together.

However, I am very impressed that after all this time , that

there IS now something out there to help us deal with this

problem a little bit better.

I am now interest on the posts on what oil types are working

with the sound range even more so. :detective: I myself have been using

Amzoil and some comments are saying Rotella is even more Quite! Ummmm

hard to believe.

Jeff

I told ya wrong, I'm using rotella 15-40 which I figured ya knew what I meant. Still haven't noticed any difference in the clutch whine. But, if it helps with the dry starts then I'm happy. I wish Yamaha would man-up and recall all of em. I like the looks and the ride but will be hard pressed to buy another one for that one reason.

I want to thank everyone for the info and posts. Very interesting.......

I have more miles now and each time I ride there is a subtle difference in the amplitude of the noise and the duration band before it goes away.

I started with terrible whine in third that lasted about 10mph on the speedo and in fourth the range was from just over 40 to drive you nuts at 55 to 60. Now the noise just starts to increase to a level of noticing it and you brace for the SCREAM and it never comes.

Third gear is stronger and bike is so quiet I can be doing 60 and not realize it. fourth is still my noisiest gear but only lasts from just over 50 to about 55 if that.

I am always looking for the noise and in all honesty feel that if I had never heard and read about it would not think what I have now is really anymor annoying than any Yamahhhaaa I have owned from the early 80's to today.

I think in another month this noise will just be background and blend in with the pipes and other noises.

I am surprised about the Rotella being quieter than Amsoil and will have to investigate this next oil change.

Jeff, Where do you get the Rot syn? any news on cluth basket???

I will be adding Motorkote to my truck and lawn mower next delivery.

The results for the gentleman that hears no difference may appear when he gets to the 500 mile plus level.

Havea good weekend and keep the info coming. We will be getting into the more interesting area of long tme use and continued results.

Thanks to all who are posting

Dan:fingers-crossed-emo

Dan, that is a perfect way of saying it.

(amplitude of the noise and the duration band before it goes away)

Joe is the person that did his basket change this past week.

Joe gets is Rotella at walmart I believe.

I myself use Amzoil but wanting to try Rotella maybe on

the next change as well. just for my own piece of mind.

Otherwise I am sticking with Amzoil if there is no change of difference.

Jeff

I want to thank everyone for the info and posts. Very interesting.......

I have more miles now and each time I ride there is a subtle difference in the amplitude of the noise and the duration band before it goes away.

I started with terrible whine in third that lasted about 10mph on the speedo and in fourth the range was from just over 40 to drive you nuts at 55 to 60. Now the noise just starts to increase to a level of noticing it and you brace for the SCREAM and it never comes.

Third gear is stronger and bike is so quiet I can be doing 60 and not realize it. fourth is still my noisiest gear but only lasts from just over 50 to about 55 if that.

I am always looking for the noise and in all honesty feel that if I had never heard and read about it would not think what I have now is really anymor annoying than any Yamahhhaaa I have owned from the early 80's to today.

I think in another month this noise will just be background and blend in with the pipes and other noises.

I am surprised about the Rotella being quieter than Amsoil and will have to investigate this next oil change.

Jeff, Where do you get the Rot syn? any news on cluth basket???

I will be adding Motorkote to my truck and lawn mower next delivery.

The results for the gentleman that hears no difference may appear when he gets to the 500 mile plus level.

Havea good weekend and keep the info coming. We will be getting into the more interesting area of long tme use and continued results.

Thanks to all who are posting

Dan:fingers-crossed-emo

I agree with Cougar.....Dan, you described it very well.

I am the one who changed the clutch basket. I now have about 200 miles on it since the change, and a small amount of the whine has come back. Actually it started coming back on the 2nd ride after changing....just a little. It seems to have pretty much leveled off now (at least I hope it has) at what I would call a "soft whine" in the ranges where it used to SCREAM. And where it used to whine or chirp there is little to none now. I just told my wife and some friends last night that I'm actually starting to kind of like the whine that it now has....sounds kinda like a turbocharger on a hot rod! Two weeks ago I never ever thought I could say something like that. :D

For ME and for THIS BIKE, the combination of Rotella Synthetic oil, Motorkote, and an I-Basket have made all the difference in the world. On our supper ride last night my wife and I both were able to just enjoy the ride, the beautiful scenery, the freedom of biking, without worrying about trying to find a combination of gear and rpm that would make our teeth quit hurting. How sweet it is!!!

:hurts:

It seems to have pretty much leveled off now (at least I hope it has) at what I would call a "soft whine" in the ranges where it used to SCREAM. And where it used to whine or chirp there is little to none now.

I wish I would have known about this stuff when I was married - I would have served a glassful to the ex at every meal! :rotfl: Interesting info, thanks to everyone for the continued posts!

Yep, still going to call you *lol*

But have to great ready for a

long ride to IL. Will you be home this weekend Joe?

I'll be home this evening (riding this afternoon), for awhile tomorrow afternoon, should be home most of the day on Monday. Unless the urge to ride becomes stronger than the need to do yardwork! :big-grin-emoticon:

I have been reading about the Motorkote saga too. I put in MOTORKOTE 4oz in the oil. (Pick it up at a Flying J in Omaha, 32 oz paid $22 for it. "They charged me wrong price the shelf said $29 but who am I to argue, right?) :whistling:

Anyway went for 75 mile ride. The wonderful chirp "even after only 75 miles" is 30 to 40% quieter. I am hard of hearing and I now hear more of the exhaust that the "chirp" was covering. COOL,,, sounds great. :thumbsup2:

I will give the "130" E3 Dunlop and the MOTORKOTE a better run for the money this weekend. This will be two up not just me.

Bryan

And where the Heck have you been Bryan ?:puzzled:

didn't get my email last month for a ride?:whistling:

You Iggying me? :crying:

wife and I have been past your town a few time the past few weeks

your hiding from me I know it! :detective:

lets compare whines one day Bro! never thought of that

when we did the IL trip.

Jeff

Bear with me as this is my first post. Thanks to everyone for this thread. I am the proud owner of one screaming machine.

New I Basket was installed this past week. Absolutely no hassel from dlr or Yamaha. Not a complete cure but a definite improvement. Especially at lower speeds. ( maybe 75% better) Higher speeds may have improved by 10-15%. I can actually hear the pipes now. Wow!

Step 2 will be an oil change. Can't wait to try the Rotella 5w40 Syn. Thanks Joe for this info. Could use some oil filter direction. This will be my first do it yourself oil chg.

Step 3 will be to try the MotorKote. But only after I have run with the oil chg for awhile.

Want to be able to appreciate and measure each chg.

I ride an 07RSV. Purchased it in July and had the warranty transferred at that time. I must say that the dlr and yamaha have been great. Replace radio controller and trunk lid in addition to the above.

Will keep you posted on step 2 and 3. Thanks again!

Bear with me as this is my first post. Thanks to everyone for this thread. I am the proud owner of one screaming machine.

New I Basket was installed this past week. Absolutely no hassel from dlr or Yamaha. Not a complete cure but a definite improvement. Especially at lower speeds. ( maybe 75% better) Higher speeds may have improved by 10-15%. I can actually hear the pipes now. Wow!

Step 2 will be an oil change. Can't wait to try the Rotella 5w40 Syn. Thanks Joe for this info. Could use some oil filter direction. This will be my first do it yourself oil chg.

Step 3 will be to try the MotorKote. But only after I have run with the oil chg for awhile.

Want to be able to appreciate and measure each chg.

I ride an 07RSV. Purchased it in July and had the warranty transferred at that time. I must say that the dlr and yamaha have been great. Replace radio controller and trunk lid in addition to the above.

Will keep you posted on step 2 and 3. Thanks again!

Oil filter: Go to WalMart for your Rotella, and while there buy their ST7317 oil filter. Rated in independent tests as one of the best disposable oil filters you can buy. And they are about $3!

Joe

Hey ProudDad....you'll find the oil change to be quick and easy too. BTW, I forgot to be explicit....the ST in the oil filter number stands for SuperTech, which is the WalMart brand.

Good luck!

Hey, if you find Monroe on your map, mosey on down this way and say HI. We'll find the nearest Dairy Queen and get acquainted!

Joe

Well, I'm amazed. It works!

I put 8 ozs Motorkote in the Ventures oil. I also added about 1 oz to the rear diff while I was at it.

Wife and I went on a 160 mile round trip ride today and when we first started out it actually sounded louder than usual. After about 15 minutes we both put on headsets so I can't comment on anything but the last 40 miles of the ride when we removed the headsets and got on the interstate. As soon as I shifted into 5th I realized that all I could hear was wind noise, the exhaust and a little background engine noise. NO whine and No chirp. NONE. I started wondering if this is what the GoldWing guys hear. :D In 1st and 2nd I still hear a little of both but they are cut by at least 1/2.

Good stuff!

Just to provide a little balance to the positive reviews... :(

I put it in about 100 miles ago, and have noticed no decrease. In fact, because I am listening for it, the whine sounds louder to me. I suspect I have been putting it out of mind, and now I am paying attention, so I hear it.

Note that I drained about .75L out of the bike after the oil change because it was over-full. Some of that is perhaps the Motorkote.

I'll provide an update after my next longer ride.

Dave