IGNORED

2nd Gen Valve Adjustment

shh ! don't tell OBB. He'll raise his price.

Hopefully I'll have it in hand in a few days and can confirm, but BuddyRich confirmed the 1st gen and 2nd gen tools are the same, which is what I gleaned from looking at the special tools list and xrefing part numbers.

Is this the same tool needed for the 2nd Gen? The OBB fitment guideline did not include the 2nd Gen bikes.

RR

I just checked the service manual for the XVZ1200, and the valve tool it shows looks very different than the one for the 2nd gen (different part number too). There is always a chance the tool would still work on both motors, but it is not the same tool. Of course, there were only 72 different models of those old antique 1st gen bikes, so there might be multiple different valve tools for them too! My expertise, such as it is, is limited to the RSV. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

UPDATE: The XVZ13DS supplementary service manual for the 85 models DOES show the same tool as the 2nd gens use. So that keeps the question wide open - apparently SOME antiques use the same tool as we do, but not all of 'em.

Edited by V7Goose

I just checked the service manual for the XVZ1200, and the valve tool it shows looks very different than the one for the 2nd gen (different part number too). There is always a chance the tool would still work on both motors, but it is not the same tool. Of course, there were only 72 different models of those old antique 1st gen bikes, so there might be multiple different valve tools for them too! My expertise, such as it is, is limited to the RSV. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

UPDATE: The XVZ13DS supplementary service manual for the 85 models DOES show the same tool as the 2nd gens use. So that keeps the question wide open - apparently SOME antiques use the same tool as we do, but not all of 'em.

I would recommend waiting until I receive my tool from OBB and can confirm its the right tool. Its been 2 weeks since I placed the order, so it should be here soon.

shh ! don't tell OBB. He'll raise his price.

Hopefully I'll have it in hand in a few days and can confirm, but BuddyRich confirmed the 1st gen and 2nd gen tools are the same, which is what I gleaned from looking at the special tools list and xrefing part numbers.

Well, keep us posted. If it turns out to be the right tool, I'd consider buying one and putting a shim kit together just to have it here in North Texass.

Goose

With my experience with overhead gaskets, but not on motorcycle gaskets, I recommend applying a small amount of RTV on the bends of the gasket and not so much on the straight sections as well and off course the lump sections will need RTV.

Goose, I'll be doing mine in the next month or so, I'll take a bunch of pics to add to your write up.

Buddy,When you do it give me a yell,Ill bring the camera and be that 3RD hand..Need to go thru it all again.Tom

GREAT info Buddy! But I edited your post to change the number. 3462 and 3470 look the same in the picture, but the web site says 3462 is for the xvz1200/1300. I think I'll order one at that price!

Goose

3462 is what i use for Vmax and 1Gens. You probably need to hollow out the Back of the Cam Profile because there are Protrusions in the Casting of the Cyl.Head which can prevent full depressing the Bucket. I needed to do this, because the Valve Clearance was so tight, we couldn't get the Shim out of the Bucket without modifying the Tool. I'll take a Pic tomorrow.

Squeeze, Did you try going in from the other direction. I used the same tool on both first and second gens with no problem. Changing the direction you go in from and the position of the lobe can make a big difference on getting or not getting the shim outta the bucket

Squeeze, Did you try going in from the other direction. I used the same tool on both first and second gens with no problem. Changing the direction you go in from and the position of the lobe can make a big difference on getting or not getting the shim outta the bucket

Yes, we tried both Sides, but when inserting from the inner Side, the Cam was just not high enough to get the Shim out. It worked from the outer Side, but only after hollowing (grinding out behind the Cam Profile). It was about 1/100 mm away from pulling the Camshaft. That was an 1 Hour PITA-Job only for that single Shim. It went from 285 to 255, from what i saw there, the Valve never closed fully.

btw

I'd recommend using a 32mm Socket to turn the Flywheel directly, not to use the 19mm Head of the Flywheel-Bolt.

Guest HdHtr
I'll have to check Larry, to see what's in there after last weekend. I'll let you and Tom know a couple of weeks ahead so we can plan this.

Let me know when too, I'll come over/down. Probably should check mine ... been a few hundred miles since we did mine last.

Oh yeah. When you plan this one don't forget to include stopping by the drug store for a lot of Advil.

Let me know too - if there's beer there, I'll be happy to help drink it while I stand around and make snarky comments about any bike that looks or acts better than mine!

(and I've been know to turn a wrench or too, occasionally)

Goose