IGNORED

06 Venture with a BANG! and a shriek...

Oh man did I have a good one today! I was bored out of my tree yesterday, 4 days straight of rains (nasty stuff rain) and yesterday at least it was coming down misty, straight down like, not so much horizontal.. So I decided to head north to visit the parents, 5 hours of highway..

After having the leveling links installed, hyd clutch fluid flushed, steering neck tightened and etc etc.. it was a great ride north.. no rain really.. Spent the nice but had to beat feet home this afternoon in front of a vicious squall line of T-Storms.. wow.. bright in front of me, pitch black behind me, wish I had the camera with me..

Anyway.. on the way home, I'm cruising along, all nice and happy, enjoying the ride, divided highway mode, I decided to do the last 100 miles in 4th gear doing 70 mph to see what the fuel mileage was gonna be like with the tall & wide Clearview..

So while on cruise control, I pulled a dead green filled bug from my glasses (go figure with a Tall & Wide windscreen eh?) with my right hand.. as I put my hand on the bar again, I accidentally hit the engine cut off (kill switch) OOOOPPS!!!

I had never had that happen to me before and for the hell of me couldn't remember what to do next.. so like a big fat happy bike, I switch it back to on..

BANG!!! (shriek!!)

The bang was the bike detonating all the raw fuel obviously, but the shriek was from the poor lady I was passing on the highway egads.. I can only imagine the fright I gave her LOL.. Poor thing..

To be honest, that's the first time I had done that and wow.. it's a big bang at 70 mph..

Question is.. Does that cause any damage to anything? If I were to do this as a stunt 'every blue moon' kinda thing, am I risking harm to my bike?

Otherwise it was a fantastic ride.. didn't get wet and enjoyed Nature's fury from a distance =)

Years ago when I was a lad, musta been about 45 years ago when cars didn't have steering locks or power steering and power brakes, my dad would turn the key switch on our old car off and back on. It would make a huge backfire and make my 2 brothers and me laugh.

I had forgotten about it until I read this post.

Years ago when I was a lad, musta been about 45 years ago when cars didn't have steering locks or power steering and power brakes, my dad would turn the key switch on our old car off and back on. It would make a huge backfire and make my 2 brothers and me laugh.

I had forgotten about it until I read this post.

Man does THAT bring back some great memories!

Nice to know we can do that with the Venture too.

Boomer......who's gonna BANG the heck out of a few dumb-a$$ed cagers with this one yes sireeee..........:D :D

My Corvair was a '66 Corsa convertable (actually was my father's but I got it when he passed away in '68). It had the 4 single barrel carbs and cost me $100 to get them rebuilt ($25 apiece). It was a great car and still kick myself for trading it in on a new '72 Nova 350 SS when I got out of OCS (they gave me chump change for it on the trade).

I've done this alot myself. I have blew about 3 mufflers apart by doing this on a couple of trucks I had. But it's fun. Especially when a dog comes out chasing you.

Mufflers are easy to replace, I busted the whole exhaust on my Honda 90 scaring a dog.

Mufflers are easy to replace, I busted the whole exhaust on my Honda 90 scaring a dog.

Good thing I still have my OEM slipons tucked away hehe

I have to get someone to follow me to tell me how much of a flame it makes..

The trick to make it go boom is to feed some fuel before turning it back on.. When I accidentally killed the ignition, I had twisted the throttle a few times not realizing it was dead..

Did that on occasion with my old manual tranny Corvair

Wish I still had my 61 auto 2 door, or my 64 Spyder convert

I had a '63 Corvair. Fun little car

My Corvair was a '66 Corsa convertable

I had a '64... I've never seen this many people in one place who were Corvair owners.

Funny stuff, to answer your question. I highly doubt you will do any damage to the engine. What ignited was the raw gas in the exhaust pipes. That can happen on a rapid decell if you still have the AIS.

Once we were riding to a meet and eat and Krome Rose was following me on her Volusia. We got behind a combine on a two lane road with a lot of on coming traffic. Well I finally had a chance to pass with enough room for KR to go with and forgot I was in 1st gear. (combines travel very slow) Well I romped on it really hard and just as I was even with the door on the combine my bike hit the rev limiter and backfired, it sounded like a stick of dynomite detonated under me.

Well I kept waiting for KR, and waiting, and waiting. Finally she passed the combine, when we stopped at a red light she was laughing so hard. She said that when I pulled out, so did she but the backfire scared the old man driving the combine so bad that he jumped out of his seat and the cigar in his mouth went flying. She started laughing so hard she couldn't pass the guy. It took her a couple minutes to collect herself and then had to deal with traffic to pass the old codger. I can only hope that I didn't take too many years off his life.

Funny stuff, to answer your question. I highly doubt you will do any damage to the engine. What ignited was the raw gas in the exhaust pipes. That can happen on a rapid decell if you still have the AIS.

Once we were riding to a meet and eat and Krome Rose was following me on her Volusia. We got behind a combine on a two lane road with a lot of on coming traffic. Well I finally had a chance to pass with enough room for KR to go with and forgot I was in 1st gear. (combines travel very slow) Well I romped on it really hard and just as I was even with the door on the combine my bike hit the rev limiter and backfired, it sounded like a stick of dynomite detonated under me.

Well I kept waiting for KR, and waiting, and waiting. Finally she passed the combine, when we stopped at a red light she was laughing so hard. She said that when I pulled out, so did she but the backfire scared the old man driving the combine so bad that he jumped out of his seat and the cigar in his mouth went flying. She started laughing so hard she couldn't pass the guy. It took her a couple minutes to collect herself and then had to deal with traffic to pass the old codger. I can only hope that I didn't take too many years off his life.

Now THAT was a funny story.. I could just about see it =)

I had a '64... I've never seen this many people in one place who were Corvair owners.

If any of ya'll are interested, there's an old corvair for sale on the road to my dad's. guy wants around $1000 for it and I'm told it runs. been for sale for a while as it's not exactly the busiest of roads as it dead-ends about three miles down.

Used to do that in a couple of my GTO's. That was about the time I learned to quit using clamps on my exhaust and started welding the pipes together.

Any of you guys ever install spark plugs in the exhaust pipes? My dad showed me that one. Wired up a couple of coils to a switch on the dash and the plugs in the pipes, kill the motor for a few seconds and then hit the switch for the plugs and turn the key back on.

Boomer and a fireball!

Loved my dad. He was aways right next to me in the courtroom. LOL!

Edited by Snaggletooth

The bang was the bike detonating all the raw fuel obviously, but the shriek was from the poor lady I was passing on the highway egads.. I can only imagine the fright I gave her LOL.. Poor thing..

Most Damage probally to her underware!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Edited by Yammer Dan

Used to do that in a couple of my GTO's. That was about the time I learned to quit using clamps on my exhaust and started welding the pipes together.

Any of you guys ever install spark plugs in the exhaust pipes? My dad showed me that one. Wired up a couple of coils to a switch on the dash and the plugs in the pipes, kill the motor for a few seconds and then hit the switch for the plugs and turn the key back on.

Boomer and a fireball!

Loved my dad. He was aways right next to me in the courtroom. LOL!

Had two stacks facing upward on an old pickup. Spark plug in each. Wanted to hear the backfire, but forgot we were under some trees while crusing. The trees were set on fire. Decided to terminate the plugs. Those were the good old days.

My first car was a 63 corvair convert. 4sp great little car, had it all "hopped up" headers and glass packs it was loud as hell, had a blast in that thing. Craig

OK I'll post in this "Corvair" thread. Mine was a '65 Monza 110 convertable that was a blast to drive but for the 6 short months I owned it I paid twice as much for repairs than I did for payments. It was only 3 years old at the time. Traded it for a 66 Galaxy convertable with the 390. Lasted me 5 years...