IGNORED

My Metzeler is failing

MiCarl

My rear tire, a Metzeler ME880. 8 or so of the lugs are starting to lift. The damage is visible inside the carcass as raised lumps, but they are too slight to photograph.

These tires were on the motorcycle when I bought it so I don't know if they were abused or the mileage. They have about half the tread left.

I wonder if that is were I was getting the burning rubber smell from When we were coming back from MD because I didn't get it on the way down or anytime after, only got that smell when i was following you and never again after that. I was thinking later that maybe your trailer tires were scrubbing and bits were hitting and landing on my exhaust pipe, but maybe it was pieces coming of your Metzlers. Just a thought.

Looking at your pictures it looks like tire srubbing I've seen that many times on transport trucks when the tandems arn't aligned properly, causing tire scrubbing. I am thinking your trailer may be the cause of this.Possibly its tires are toeing in or out or may not be true to your hitch center.

Edited by saddlebum

Lost me there Bum. I have heard of it just not enough experience with them to know that much about it. You mean the trailer is not lining up the way it should with rear tire? Would be a constant out of line pull on the tread? It would make sense for this to damage tire if it was continious pull on it.

It does seem we are having more than our fair share of bad reports on tires lately???

I have never gotten mileage others have claimed from tires but I have that thing with my right wrist.

I wonder if that is were I was getting the burning rubber smell from When we were coming back from MD because I didn't get it on the way down or anytime after, only got that smell when i was following you and never again after that. I was thinking later that maybe your trailer tires were scrubbing and bits were hitting and landing on my exhaust pipe, but maybe it was pieces coming of your Metzlers. Just a thought.

Looking at your pictures it looks like tire srubbing I've seen that many times on transport trucks when the tandems arn't aligned properly, causing tire scrubbing. I am thinking your trailer may be the cause of this.Possibly its tires are toeing in or out or may not be true to your hitch center.

Well, my trailer isn't even assembled yet and the problem is on both sides of the tire. Perhaps you are confusing me with MARCARL who is the better looking one?

I haven't had a Metzler on my bike for two years. Originally I loved them but on the third set the belts broke internally and I could not see the damage on the outside. I was having left turn noises, the front would drift out and it was squirrely on the straight. Had it removed and the dealer told me I was very lucky to be alive.

:farmer:

Good thing you caught it Carl...I have said it before and will till I die. The 880 Metzler on a Venture is JUNK! Period. After all that folks have read on this forum they still buy these crap tires (Thats not directly aimed at you Carl)

But here's the good news, you dont have to bother calling Metzler, I'll tell you right now what they will say.....you didn't have it properly inflated (Yes that is said with lots of sarcasm)

Glad you got it off your bike Carl....what did you put on it?

Good thing you caught it Carl...I have said it before and will till I die. The 880 Metzler on a Venture is JUNK! Period. After all that folks have read on this forum they still buy these crap tires (Thats not directly aimed at you Carl)

But here's the good news, you dont have to bother calling Metzler, I'll tell you right now what they will say.....you didn't have it properly inflated (Yes that is said with lots of sarcasm)

Glad you got it off your bike Carl....what did you put on it?

I have been watching them like a hawk, gave it a thorough going over before leaving for Maintenance Day.

I replaced it with a Kenda Kruz.

I dont know if the kenda tires down south are the same as the ones they sell locally but the only time iI rode with 1 it was the sliperiest tire ever in the rain. I sure hope they are not the same for you. Good luck and please keep all informed how they work for you.:puzzled:

I have been watching them like a hawk, gave it a thorough going over before leaving for Maintenance Day.

I replaced it with a Kenda Kruz.

It's sad that it's an all of a sudden thing, I know other here that it happens just like that and I know they are good with their maintenance on the tires. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Kenda's.

We'll have to work on getting hooked up again, good seeing you at MD :thumbsup2:

Well, my trailer isn't even assembled yet and the problem is on both sides of the tire. Perhaps you are confusing me with MARCARL who is the better looking one?

You know what? Your Right I did :bang head::bang head::bang head: as far as who is better looking I don't think I will touch that one

Carl, that tire looks like a victim of low air pressure and straight line riding, with no leaning at all. I had one Metzler wear like that once and found it was due to low air pressure. Since I bumped the pressure up to 42 PSI, I haven't had any trouble with the wear. I'm getting about 11K miles out of the rear and 20K out of the front. I've run nothing but ME 880s for the last five years without any problems at all. :thumbsup:

Carl, that tire looks like a victim of low air pressure and straight line riding, with no leaning at all. I had one Metzler wear like that once and found it was due to low air pressure. Since I bumped the pressure up to 42 PSI, I haven't had any trouble with the wear. I'm getting about 11K miles out of the rear and 20K out of the front. I've run nothing but ME 880s for the last five years without any problems at all. :thumbsup:

Since I've owned the bike the rear tire has been kept above 40psi. Since we were 2 up heavy for Maintenance Day it was at 50PSI when it started to let go. I have not idea what the PO might have done to it though.

You are right that it's been mostly straight line riding recently - almost all of the recent riding has been 2 up on the freeway.

How old were the tires, since this was a used bike?

for instance: if 1303 is the dot code (manufacture code) the tire was in a batch made in the 13th week of 2003

The tire is at the shop, but I believe they were only 1 1/2 years old when I got the motorcycle. That would make them about 3 years old now.

Here's what I figure the load on the tire was the last 300 miles:

Motorcycle is about 800 lbs. A bit more with fuel - call it 500 lbs on the rear tire.

My svelt self is 235 lbs. Put 150 of it on the rear wheel.

SWMBO claims to be 150. Right over the axle call it 150.

Add another 100 pounds for gear and crap in the bags.

That puts the total load on the tire at 900 lbs, right at it's limit of 908lbs.

The tire is a 77H, which means it's rated to carry those 908lbs. for an extended period of 130mph riding. Since I watch my speed pretty carefully it probably hasn't seen more than 80, and then only for a very short distance.

Since I've owned the bike the rear tire has been kept above 40psi. Since we were 2 up heavy for Maintenance Day it was at 50PSI when it started to let go. I have not idea what the PO might have done to it though.

You are right that it's been mostly straight line riding recently - almost all of the recent riding has been 2 up on the freeway.

The tire is at the shop, but I believe they were only 1 1/2 years old when I got the motorcycle. That would make them about 3 years old now.

Sounds like the perfect reason to go to the Dark Side. Its what I did when my Metz gave it up.

Same here. I run 40lbs in rear and at least 60 in the rear suspension. I've put 10's of thousands of miles on Metzlers and never had a problem. I really like mountain roads, so I really use the edges on mine.

Sounds like the perfect reason to go to the Dark Side. Its what I did when my Metz gave it up.

Nope, sounds like the perfect reason to go to the Elite 3 for the 1st gen. Of the Metzlers, Elite 2's and Avons I have run, I feel the most stable I have had yet is the Elite 3's. Not as nimble as the Avons but a lot more stable. Your wear pattern was typical for me on the Metzlers.

RandyA

Here's what I figure the load on the tire was the last 300 miles:

Motorcycle is about 800 lbs. A bit more with fuel - call it 500 lbs on the rear tire.

My svelt self is 235 lbs. Put 150 of it on the rear wheel.

SWMBO claims to be 150. Right over the axle call it 150.

Add another 100 pounds for gear and crap in the bags.

That puts the total load on the tire at 900 lbs, right at it's limit of 908lbs.

The tire is a 77H, which means it's rated to carry those 908lbs. for an extended period of 130mph riding. Since I watch my speed pretty carefully it probably hasn't seen more than 80, and then only for a very short distance.

Did you have the tire at max preasure for the tire? the 908lb rating is at the tires max air preasure not the preasure the bike asks for.

So Carl, you go from a Metzeler to a Kenda Cruz???? You first genners really scare me sometimes.........:rasberry:

But, I will say this to all of you Metzeler faithful: two out of three sets that I had on my 99 lost rubber AND I ran the proper inflation. Both German and Brazil made too. Tires are not designed to delaminate just because of a few lbs of air pressure difference. If your tire pressure is that low to do that kind of damage then you would have had a really lousy handling bike in the first place. For those of you who have had no issues with your 880's, more power to you, but keep checking them for cracking/chunking/delamination/(fill in the blank)......:fingers-crossed-emo

How do you suppose mixing a ME880 on the front with a Venom x on the rear would make a bike feel? Sometimes mine feels like jello in the rear. I checked the rear wheel and I can feel a tiny bit of play. I'm guessing I shouldn't feel any. So I ordered some rear wheel bearings & seals. I'll see how it feel after that. I also wondered if that may be why I only got 6000 miles out of the rear ME880. Hoping to have them in before the 2nd.