IGNORED

Rk muffs on venture not what i expected!

Just finished putting Harley Muffs on my 2009 RSV. Made my brackets, bought the wide clamps, spent 4 hours gently persuading the muffs on, cleaned them, put the bags back on and started the bike. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! Could barely tell the difference. My wife says she can tell but wants it louder. I guess now I have to drill them out.

By the way, I haven't seen anything in any of the threads on this subject that discusses the fibre exhaust gasket on the RSV that you have to distroy in order to put the Harley's on. If you use 1/4" aluminum to make your brackets, you will have to get 3/4" long bolts for the muffs as the 1/2" arent long enough. Best to get these before 10:00pm. I used Drag Specialties clamps and they cost $9.50 each and are available almost anywhere.

Anyway, just my thoughts on this mod.

This is the best site ever!! Thanks Freebird.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much agree with you. I had them on my bike for a while and found them to be very close in loudness to the stock mufflers. As for the gaskets though, I didn't destroy mine when I did it. You actually don't use them with the Harley Mufflers. One of mine stayed in the stock muffler and the other stayed on the pipe but I was able to slip it off and re-use it when I went to stock RSTD mufflers on my bike.

As for loud. I had Samons for a while and they were VERY loud. I also used Khromewerks for a while and they were a bit quieter than the Samons at first but got about as loud after the packing burned out. I never did get around to re-packing them but just got tired of loud and went back to stock.

I'm very satisfied with the RK sound on my 2008, the thing is, it's necessary to remove the baffle plates fore and aft. I suggest aft first. If not loud enough, remove the front one. I will be modifying another RSV this weekend for a friend. I make the brackets and punch the baffles as per the likes of my riding friends. Reason to use RK's for me was to keep/store the stock muffs "IF" I ever want to put them back on for some reason. No sense destroying a perfect stock set when you can get RK's for $10 to $20 bucks a set!

Renne

Well, I don't know.... my RK's are definately LOUDER than stock muffs. I think the pair I got are burned out but they certainly aren't drilled out. Fact is, considering the sound they now make, I don't think I'd want to be drilling them out. I'm not complaining... I like the sound they make.

I just put a set of Road King pipes on my 2008 RSTD. I installed them in about an hour the first time with no modification. I will say that at that point I was not impressed. I pulled them back off and went to the Delphi forum and printed out the instructions on doing all 4 stages of modifications. Started with Stage 1, drilled 4- 1/2" holes in the inlet baffle plate. Re-installed, still wasn't enough sound. Went to Stage 2 drilling the 1 1/4" baffle plug out of the outlet side. Re-installed them again and there it was exactly what I wanted. I get compliments all the time. Went to a bike night Monday night and a guy riding a RKing recognized the pipes and wanted to listen. He said it sounded like an old '54 Bel Air with glass packs. I am very pleased and if I ever want to be louder I still have Stages 3-4. I will agree that without modification they are not much louder than stock.

As for gasket, didn't need one. The chrome v-twin clamps most of us use are notched on the inside. Mine sealed perfect, no leaks. Except on the header pipes at the Y, but that is a yamaha defect that alot of us had.

I ordered my mouting brackets out of the classifieds here and they came with all the new bolts needed to do the job. I got about $80 in the whole setup.

If you want more sound try the mods, if you want nasty loud, get the baron's 4-2-4 or bag slash nasty boys. I had these and they were too much for me.

My only regret is not going with the RK mufflers first. Just my 2cents.

Safe riding to you!

I bought my 2006 RSTD used. Previous owner had done the RK mod.

Pipes were quiet as stock (I think). But more important, these RK pipes would drag pretty easy, especially 2-up (sorry honey). These were big diameter cans.

He also had a lowering kit that was a near constant drag (or bottom out).

Had to go back to stock height.

A friend had taken some nice RUSH RK slash pipes off his HD.

They worked great. But still had to keep stock height so they would not scrape.

Oh, THEY SOUNDED GREAT,, perhaps loud for some. More of a deep roar than 4-2-4.

So, wanting to do a half way lower (fabricated dog bones), I decided to go to the

Barons 4-2-4. These are actually quieter than the Rush. That's okay.

Pretty happy with the 4-2-4 now.

I gave the Rush RK pipes and the mounts to a friend for his R*. Now he's happy too.

Mike G in SC

I pretty much agree with you. I had them on my bike for a while and found them to be very close in loudness to the stock mufflers. As for the gaskets though, I didn't destroy mine when I did it. You actually don't use them with the Harley Mufflers. One of mine stayed in the stock muffler and the other stayed on the pipe but I was able to slip it off and re-use it when I went to stock RSTD mufflers on my bike.

As for loud. I had Samons for a while and they were VERY loud. I also used Khromewerks for a while and they were a bit quieter than the Samons at first but got about as loud after the packing burned out. I never did get around to re-packing them but just got tired of loud and went back to stock.

I put the RK mufflers on my 06 Midnight (and K&N Filters) and love the sound.. throatier and louder.. I read where some people find these mufflers quiet and unimpressive.. I wonder if the air filters make any difference to the sound? The pipes make a nice roar on decel.. and gets impressively throatier when it's cooler outside.. nice..

Mind you, the fuel mileage hit is to be considered but the bike is peppier than before..

Just finished putting Harley Muffs on my 2009 RSV. Made my brackets, bought the wide clamps, spent 4 hours gently persuading the muffs on, cleaned them, put the bags back on and started the bike. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! Could barely tell the difference. My wife says she can tell but wants it louder. I guess now I have to drill them out.

By the way, I haven't seen anything in any of the threads on this subject that discusses the fibre exhaust gasket on the RSV that you have to distroy in order to put the Harley's on. If you use 1/4" aluminum to make your brackets, you will have to get 3/4" long bolts for the muffs as the 1/2" arent long enough. Best to get these before 10:00pm. I used Drag Specialties clamps and they cost $9.50 each and are available almost anywhere.

Anyway, just my thoughts on this mod.

This is the best site ever!! Thanks Freebird.

I totally gutted my RK's, and I love the sound. Actually, Beth wanted the bike louder than stock. It's got a great sound, not too loud, but you can hear us. The slash cuts look great as well!

randy:happy34:

I can't see where you would get a louder sound out of these mufflers. Maybe a different or deeper tone. I took them off my RK bike and put aftermarkets on just to get a louder sound and different look. Although I could have messed with the baffles, I wanted a different looking style. Guess that's why they are hanging in the shop. :2cents:

I can't see where you would get a louder sound out of these mufflers. Maybe a different or deeper tone. I took them off my RK bike and put aftermarkets on just to get a louder sound and different look. Although I could have messed with the baffles, I wanted a different looking style. Guess that's why they are hanging in the shop. :2cents:

We're not talking about an ear splitting shouting above the sound of your pipes loud.. but its louder than stock..

I think the nicest sound was pulling into a crowded parking lot and overhearing the HD guys mentioning the big black yamaha coming in with the sweet sounding pipes.. pipes sound nice as you roll in.. and doesn't crack an eardrum..

Cheers

I put a set of the HD RK's on my 07 midnight RSTD. Did the stages as I went. No mod sounded the same as stock. Removed forward baffle, a little better, but not what I wanted. Removed rear baffle and could see through the pipes, really liked the sound then. Just enough to sound good, but not enough to wake up the neighbors.

We're not talking about an ear splitting shouting above the sound of your pipes loud.. but its louder than stock..

I think the nicest sound was pulling into a crowded parking lot and overhearing the HD guys mentioning the big black yamaha coming in with the sweet sounding pipes.. pipes sound nice as you roll in.. and doesn't crack an eardrum..

Cheers

Don't like the ear splitting noise myself...just a good deep sound that's unique to ones own bike. Couldn't get that sound with the stock mufflers. So quiet that I could pull up behind someone, blow the horn and scare them to death. Could have been the crossover pipe on mine...don't really know. Had to switch to aftermarket pipe with no crossover and a different baffle design. Now it's sweet!!!

I put a set of the HD RK's on my 07 midnight RSTD. Did the stages as I went. No mod sounded the same as stock. Removed forward baffle, a little better, but not what I wanted. Removed rear baffle and could see through the pipes, really liked the sound then. Just enough to sound good, but not enough to wake up the neighbors.

Are any of these mods "reversible" after you've done them? I'd hate to try something only to discover I don't like it and can't go back ya know?

Are any of these mods "reversible" after you've done them? I'd hate to try something only to discover I don't like it and can't go back ya know?

I completely understand. That is why I went in stages to make sure I knew what it sounded like each time.

I guess the mods could be reversed if you punch out the baffles instead of drilling them out. That is what I did. Used a long rod to knock them loose and then pushed them through. Could be a challenge to get the little circle back down the center and then hope it stays, but with patience, a long extension with a socket, it could be done. Good luck.

• 2 years later...
I totally gutted my RK's, and I love the sound. Actually, Beth wanted the bike louder than stock. It's got a great sound, not too loud, but you can hear us. The slash cuts look great as well!

randy:happy34:

I was trying to drill a set of HD pipes that have the honeycomb in the inlet, but after 4 hours of fighting with it, I decided to go ahead and gut them.

Do any of you think this will cause problems? Is there a way to re-pack a gutted HD muffler?

Edited by MidnightSpook

I was trying to drill a set of HD pipes that have the honeycomb in the inlet, but after 4 hours of fighting with it, I decided to go ahead and gut them.

Do any of you think this will cause problems? Is there a way to re-pack a gutted HD muffler?

The "Honeycomb" is part of the catalytic converter and really doesn't need to be removed. As far as repacking the HD mufflers, I dont think there is anyway to do that without destroying the muffler. I have ran several sets of the HD mufflers on various RSV's and always drilled the center baffle plates out with the 1 1/4" holesaw. It gave them a throaty sound when opening the throttle up but reasonable while at cruising speed. For the price you can get them for, if and when they get too loud, get another set

:)

Just got a set of Barons baggers, made by LA choppers. Have black tips to match the midnight. A little louder than I wanted but way cheaper than the Vance and Hines I was looking at. These ones are a straight slip on, no brackets to make. Deep rumble at idle, low rumble at cruising speed but real loud when you crack the throttle. They let everyone know you are not riding a V twin.

Stop wasting your time. You can change your slipons to any other exhaust imaginable but you will never, repeat, never get a 1300 four cylinder to sound anything like even an 883 twin, let alone a 80, 88, 96, 103 or 110 cubic inch twin. I tried everything under the sun and only got things louder but still very tinny sounding, sorta like a Vespa on steroids or a bored out Puch on nitromethane. Leave it stock gents.