IGNORED

Avoid Tractor Trailer Rigs

ediddy

This morning my daughter and son-in-law were going to Atlanta on I75 in their car. They were next to a tractor trailer rig when a tire blew on the rig. The tire hit their windshield and it shattered the windshield and glass went inside the their car. They can't drive the car until the windshield is repaired. If they were on a motorcycle it would probably have killed them.

Edited by ediddy

Glad to hear they are ok. That has been one of my worst fears also of being beside a rig when a tire blows. Even if my truck much less on a bike.

Seems all you see nowadays are tire gators laying everywhere.

I had a Tyson semi hit a gator in front of me one day and tore a brake line on the trailer. He did a hell of a job saving it, the brakes locked up and he nearly jackknifed the rig but he saved it. Had I been about 15 seconds faster, I would have been right beside it in my PT Cruiser.

Thanks for the remider and I'm glad they didn't get hurt.

I think about that every time I pass a semi. In fact, if there is a slower vehicle passing a semi in front of me, I wait back till he pulls over into the right lane, then I go by quickly.

Steve

ALLways 'hang back' fer a clear run past'em--------NEVER lollygag beside them--you 2nd gen boys: might take ya'll awhile toooo build up enough speed and pass'em ------seeing that ya'll pulling ALL thay extra weight----carry-on:usa:

I have had that happen while driving a 1991 Geo Metro (not much bigger than a motorcycle). Passenger side door looked like it was hit with a bowling ball, could not open that door and my spouse had to exit my door after we pulled over. I tend to speed up when I am next to an 18 wheeler, the worst ones here in Washington are logging trucks. They are dropping chunks of wood all the time.

Tractor trailer blowouts are a real danger to motorcycles and cars alike. These tires carry more than 100psi. You don't want to be around when they blow. As others have posted earlier you should pass as quickly and safely as possible. Also, when they blow they can take other trailer or cab parts with them making the danger even higher. All I can say is be aware and scan the road ahead. Also be aware of flying debris coming out/off of the trailers. I have seen this happen many times and its just as scary for us, as I drive a tractor trailer and had many blowouts in the past.

I was once following a semi in my pickup and his tires hit a gator which thru it up in the air. This thing was about 4 feet long and hit the front grill of my truck. It sounded like I slammed into a brick wall. In other words, "Don't follow too close behind them either."

ALLways 'hang back' fer a clear run past'em--------NEVER lollygag beside them--you 2nd gen boys: might take ya'll awhile toooo build up enough speed and pass'em ------seeing that ya'll pulling ALL thay extra weight----carry-on:usa:

Picture this if you can. I know it will be hard to see in your brain because of your bike, but here goes. I like to pull a big wheelie on my 2nd Gen. and pop up on that flat bed rig and ride it to the front and pop another big wheelie and jump on the cab and then goose it and fly right in front of that big rig on my rear wheel.:cool10: What a rush these 2nd Gen give ya.:banana::banana:

As a truck driver of 20+ years I can tell you that being next to a rig is the most dangerous place to be. If something happens in front of me, I will go sideways if possible. If I hit something straight on, someone will die, me or them. By going to the side, at least it give everyone a chance. DO NOT cruise next to a big rig.

did any of you ever see the episode of "Mythbusters" where they tested what would happen to a motorcyclist if they were hit by a tread blow-off by a semi? lets just say bad bad things! trust me you don't want to be in the line of fire.

bob

Once I investigated an incident where the tire blew off a tractor trailer and ripped off the metal bar that holds the mud flap. The metal bar went through the windshield of the car behind it. Lucky for the driver it was on the passenger's side, lucky there was no passenger, and bad for the seat.....

Update. I just talked to my wife's son-in-law. He said they were in the right lane and the tractor trailer came by them in the left lane and then changed into the right lane in front of them. The tire blew and son-in-law said he slammed on brakes when he saw the tire coming toward the car. He said if he hadn't slammed on brakes he believes it would have been worse.

picture #6, the black hole is were the Vent screen used to be, from upper & lower grill

it took out both driving lights, and both horns, the skid plate, under the engine was damaged.

Had the retread, NOT gone under the car, it would have killed my wife.

I was maybe 4 or 5 car lengths behind one once, driving the space shuttle (RV) and just pulling into the passing lane, when one blew out. I could actually feel the concussion on my chest inside the motor home.

Edited by Gary N.

Same thing happened to me last year. The bike decided it wasn't going to start that morning so I took the cage. On the way home that afternoon a semi in the lane to right blew a tire and the flying tread took out my windshield.

All I could think of man.....if I'd been on the bike! But then again if I'd had the bike that day I probably would have been some where else not even near a semi. It was all in the timing that day. Bad timing for sure.

Still glad the bike decided not to run though.

I investigated a wreck where the spare came out from under a Vita Fresh Orange Juice 18 wheeler. The tire bounced across from the w/b I10 to the E/b I10, just missed a motorcycle and hit the top of a station wagon from Kansas, right over the drivers door and killed him. The car went off the interstate and his wife did not get a scratch. The truck did not know he lost his tire and kept going. We called the state police and they stopped the truck about 30 miles away and brought him back. Very freaky.

+1 on getting past 'em quickly. A few years ago my wife and I were on I-20 in our SUV passing a tractor trailer when a tire on the OTHER side of the trailer blew. A BIG chunk of rubber/wire came flying out from under the truck and hit the side of our car. A dent in the door, but would have been a Disaster on a bike. I try to pass 'em at warp speed when on a bike!:fingers-crossed-emo

In class we say the area around the 18 wheelers is the "No Zone". I tell the class to stay far away from trucks as they can. I was in my service truck ( one ton van fully loaded) and a retread hit it so hard it pushed me into the next lane. I thought I had ben hit by a car. Get past those big rigs as fast as you can. Ride safe Rod

Told my son the day he got his drivers license,,,"Son, listen carefully"! "If you never remember anything else I tell you". When you get to the end of the driveway and turn out onto that blacktop remember this". " Everyone else that's out there with you is gonna try to KILL YOU"!

So far so good, he's 31 and still vertical!

Renne

Picture this if you can. I know it will be hard to see in your brain because of your bike, but here goes. I like to pull a big wheelie on my 2nd Gen. and pop up on that flat bed rig and ride it to the front and pop another big wheelie and jump on the cab and then goose it and fly right in front of that big rig on my rear wheel.:cool10: What a rush these 2nd Gen give ya.:banana::banana:

For real? Wish I could do that!