IGNORED

Avoid Tractor Trailer Rigs

ediddy

For sure a major disaster on a bike.........I actually had a gravel jocky drop his entire load out the bottom of his rig as he approached me from the oncoming lane. Large chunks of clay/gravel/etc bouncing accross the hwy and straight at me. Luckily I moved to the right as far as possible and countersteered around the few chunks that made it that far.

To this day I wonder what would have happened if I had of been behind him.

My philosophy........mach 12 around them and stay ahead of them.......if the law pulls me over - it's much better to pay a speeding ticket than it is to face the wrath of a rig

This morning my daughter and son-in-law were going to Atlanta on I75 in their car. They were next to a tractor trailer rig when a tire blew on the rig. The tire hit their windshield and it shattered the windshield and glass went inside the their car. They can't drive the car until the windshield is repaired. If they were on a motorcycle it would probably have killed them.

I wouldn't keep that away from traveling around semi's. The chance of being hit by lightening is probably greater than experiencing something like that. Over the years I've put on millions of miles alongside big rigs, while on the road as a sales rep, for various companies. In all that time I've had just one truck blow a tire while I was next to it, and nothing came of it. So to have one blow and then take out a window is rare indeed... We can't be paranoid while riding. Cautious yes, aware yes, but not paranoid. Otherwise the enjoyment of riding disappears, and we might as well not fire the scoot up.