IGNORED

Take A Spare Key

Ky. Rider

I lost my key at a routine rest stop this past weekend. I looked everywhere back tracking my steps but it just wasn't found. I couldn't believe I had lost it and we were 2 1/2 hours from home. Fortunately I had a spare hidden on the bike that had been there for a few years and never used. That saved our weekend. My lesson learned was that I will always have a spare key hidden on the bike and my in use key will be on a key chain.

The rest of the story is that on our return trip we stopped at the rest stop and the lost key had been found and turned in. I'll never know how it got out of my pocket or who found it and turned it in but I learned a lesson. Bill

Hey, that's awesome that someone turned it in.

I probably wouldn't have even bothered stopping to check. Glad you got it back!

I hid a key on my bike about 3 years ago. Have never had to use it (yet!). My wife and my best friend and riding buddy both know where it is, so if my CRS sets in they can find it for me! :)

Joe

Well, when traveling away from home, you may need more than just a spare key - if you get robbed or loose your wallet, you need an emergency way to pay for gas and stuff!

I recommend you stash BOTH a spare key AND a spare credit card somewhere on the bike. Make sure it is a card you do NOT carry in your wallet, since it will do you no good if you have to cancel all your other cards.

I won't reveal where I keep mine, but on a 2nd gen a safe place for this would simply be to put them in a ziplock and stuff it behind the battery - easy access with just removing the two seat nuts. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I too carry a spare key in my pocket. I have one of the keys with the big knob on it that I use regularly and when (and if) I remove it I put it in the trunk when I stop.

When my wife is along I also give her a key to carry so I don't have to keep opening up the bags for her to get to things.

I don't do anything special with the credit cards, if I loose them I guess I am SOL.

I use to carry the title to the bike in case I needed to sell it and fly home. This was back when I was having lots of back problems. I don't carry it anymore.

BOO

Bill, glad to hear you got your key back. Now make sure you put it somewhere safe, not in your pocket :stickpoke:. Glad you made it back home safe.

Thanks Kevin. Yea, I agree about somewhere safe. I think "old timers" is setting in with me though so I don't know where that would be. :confused24:

Heres what I learned from a old timer! If you wear boots that you have to lace up take your spare key and undo the laces down to the bottom and run the lace threw it and redo it so the key is on the inside of lacing and there you have it, your not going anywhere without your boots are you.

• 2 weeks later...
i read where ACE hardware has the spare key but can they cut it while i am there or do i have to go to a locksmith?

If a place like Ace has the balnk, it is almost certain that they will have a key cutter which will work for the Yamaha key based on my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Ace is the place to go. The first key I had made was at a "Keys Made" kiosk in Sears parking lot, but then I found out about ACE.

Here are the blank numbers: Ilco ym63, Taylor X 248, Curtis yn 63, Silca yh35r.

Good thing if you you have to have a new ignition switch installed, you can cut one side for the bags and then the other for the switch. This way you still carry/use one key.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

Guest Ken8143

This may be way too obvious - I have a spare key in the rubber unit around the fill tube for the tank. Wrapped in black electrical tape. Previous owner put it there and it took me 2 years to notice it. So I just keep it there and am glad for it.

• 6 months later...

... 86 VR. Thanks for the tip on a credit card I never use! WILL DO THAT ONE when away from home. Otherwise I'll contact Wells Fargo (my bank) and have one authorized to me at another WF ... IF there is one close when I am in Havaieeee! But that may be too long of a ride for me at almost 71, ... you think?

JackZ

PS What I will be riding when I am 90. I'll Photoshop my photo on top! LOL

:mytruck1:

Good thing if you you have to have a new ignition switch installed, you can cut one side for the bags and then the other for the switch. This way you still carry/use one key.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

U can also just switch out the tumblers from the old switch to the new and use the same key.

In all my travels I also carry and extra key around my neck. The lonely credit card and a few bucks are kept locked up hidden in one of my saddle bags or trunk. If I loose my main key the spare from around my neck will give me access to my card and cash. This way I don't have to ever worry about something happening to my card or spare cash. Only thing is on my 2 and 3 week trips the spare cash usually disapears by the time I get back home.

Edited by Shamue
spelling

I have a keyless ignition that works off a credit card device I keep in my wallet. About the second time I went for a long ride (I think it was the Texas Maintenance day) I left my keys at home. I had a credit card and money, but no way to put gas in the locked tank. I made it home on fumes and immediately went out and bought a velcro key holder with waterproof double stick tape. Now I can retrieve my hidden key if necessary.

Thanks to Kent for the tip on the spare credit card and cash. I hadn't thought of that one.

Edited by Stoutman

• 11 months later...

Yep, I was bored tonight and reading old posts. My thoughts:

Think of the zipper on those driver back rests as a place to hide a key in between the cardboard (pressboard?) and the foam. NO ONE will look there, ... except you folks on my bike if you ever get back to CO. LOL.

All have a safe New Year, and a happy one prospering beyond Obamacare!

Jack T

Ft Collins :Venture:

I always have a spare on the bike but I also never take mine out of the ignition. Since the Ignition switch on the RSV is junk when the last one went out I didn't replace it I just by passed it with another on switch that looks just like the Road Light switch so you have to turn on the key and turn the extra switch on for it to start. Plus my key looks like a radio knob when in the switch so if you don't know the bike you would never guess. Except now that I have told all of you. :bang head: