IGNORED

Noisy front brake and squeaky rear shock

Hi guys I have 2 small poblems.

#1 is I have noisy front brakes. Sounds like metal on metal but when I checked the pads there was lots left. I was wonering if it is the bike cleaner I am using and thngs are just to dry. I use S100 cleaner.

2Nd Problem is when I sit on the bike the rear shock sqeaks. I tried to spray the rubber with Moovit but it still sqeaks. Is my Shock shot.

Thanks Guys for all the relys.

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Remove the brake pads, clean them, and apply some brake pad adhisive. Avialable any auto parts store.

Rear Shock, Remove the Bottom Cross bolts for the Suspension Links, 3 of them.

They are about 8 inches long. Also some bushings will come out for each bolt.

Clean everything, and Lubricate with heavy greese. Another Mod. here is to Install some Zerk Fittings, ( Drill, and tap with threads ) so that in future you can Greese them regulary.

Mama, Yama, did not forsee this problem. Greeseing these bolts is NOT called out in the service manual. But be assured, it needs to be done.

This might solve both your problems. :thumbsup2:

Hi guys I have 2 small poblems.

#1 is I have noisy front brakes. Sounds like metal on metal but when I checked the pads there was lots left. I was wonering if it is the bike cleaner I am using and thngs are just to dry. I use S100 cleaner.

2Nd Problem is when I sit on the bike the rear shock sqeaks. I tried to spray the rubber with Moovit but it still sqeaks. Is my Shock shot.

Thanks Guys for all the relys.

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

For your brakes use some brake quiet available in part store. For shock, http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2220

use this link from this site. Rick Butler had a great write up in this link to help fix the squeek.

Hope it helps,

Big Mike

Rear shock isn't necessarily shot. Mine does it but only when it's cold. If it hasn't leaked oil yet, and doesn't groan all the time, I'd say you're still okay. Mine's been doing it for about 3 years now.

A fix that works, sometimes, is taking out the Schrader valve and take about 2 oz of fork oil and 2 oz of tranny fluid, make a coctail and squirt it down in the valve opening with a syringe. You have to do this slowly and, at times, use a pump to pump it down into the shock. This helped mine for the most part, however, it still does it when it's really cold out.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Freebird yes my pads are the originals so I might change them out.

and I think I will try a little oil down the shraeder valve on the rear shock.

Thanks again guys

This is why this site is so fantastic.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Robert

While the oil in the Schrader valve might be a temporary (or permanent) fix, it might just void the warranty on that particular item if the dealer gets wind of it. See if you can get Yamaha to replace the shock for you instead of messing with it. You could do it now or wait until you are closer to your warranty expiry. My original shock is still holding out (2002). Groans but doesn't leak.

Ross

My front brakes were noisey as all get out too....I took them off and chamfered (bevelled) the edged of the pads, Applied di-electric grease to the back side and reassemmbled.......all noise gone and ,oddly enough, the brake lever feels MUCH firmer....not sure why, but I'm not gonna argue with progress!!!!

Usually, you can scotch-brite the brake pads and rotors, and the noise will disappear. The brakes tend to get heat glazed, and get noisy. This is caused from the drivers' braking habits....riding the brakes too much, and getting them too hot.

If you havent seen any accumulation of oil under the rear shock (not to be confused with the overflow oil hoses just ahead of the shock) and your bike aint po-go-ing Id say your shock is ok. Mine groans when its cold. When its tire change time I usually pull the rear shock and lube the joints. Mine is a 99 and still has the original shock..(knock on wood)...

• 10 months later...

:bang head:This is my first post but wanted to thank you guys for coming up with answer to rear shock squeak/groan on my 2004 Midnight Venture with 26K -- I know, little mileage for Bike. I bought it a year ago with 5K on it so I've been riding. Shock held air and no oil leak, but it started to groan loudly when sat on bike. It was even louder when I put extra air in shock. Took advice of removing shrader valve and lubricate with oil. I chose to put a couple ounces of WD40 in shock by jacking rear wheel off ground and placing WD in small funnel connected to valve with clear plastic hose. A couple times of slowly lowering it to compress shock a little and raising it back up drank the liquid. Went slow not to have air blow liquid all over bike. I put rag around funnel and over the top to help prevent this. Guess what, after first ride, the squeak/groan stopped. Thanks again guys... you helped me zero in on problem. Hey, if you are removing shocks from new bike with same symptoms, the old shock might be still good. :smile5:

07 RSTD

My front brakes sound horrible also.. like grinding the rotor

but low miles and plenty of pad and no rotor damage..

Ran into a guy with 05 that had the same noise and had it checked out to be ok...

My Bro-in-law has same noise on 99 Road Star and shop said was ok..

Maybe yamaha just has noisy brakes

But I might try some of these tips one day..

good question..

I had front brake grind when stoppng and I cleaned off rotor and shoes with brake cleaner and it went away. Been over a year now. I did it by putting cleaner on rag to clean rotor in order to prevent over spray (don't forget to clean both sides). After cleaning rotors, move wheel while hold rag with cleaner on both sides of rotor (you will need friend to help). Do this for about a minute to get the pads completely covered with brake cleaner in order to pull off surface crud on pads. Pads get dirty and also crystalize over time and this cleaned them for me. Hopefully it will work for you. Remember, you can always take the brake caliber off to clean the pads and some people have already given some good suggestions already about how to do this. I was on a trip at the time and wanted to try a quick fix.