IGNORED

Gahhhh !.... Grounds for divorce ?

CdnDave77

I had pulled my poor old 83 Venture out on this bright sunny Monday (holiday in Canada), and gave her a thorough once-over : check the plugs for sootiness/too clean, any leaks, all fluid levels, air pressures, etc.

My bride offers to cut the lawn if I can watch our 2 darling girls (ages 4 & 2) for the time. I say no problem (her having cut the lawn in... ummm, never). The girls and I play happily in the back yard, when I hear a "GGggrrrrunnnch" followed quickly by a "whack".

The result is posted in the picture. I believe she hit a pine cone with the lawn mowver, which promptly decided to launch it full speed with significant rotational velocity towards my bike. Ugggh.

I know it need some touching up anyways, but did she have to hit the one panel that was fine ?

Waddaya worried about your leg covers it!:fiddle::stickpoke: Besides it's not like it's a second gen or anything.:scared: Just kidding, that really sucks. I had a 78 Honda 550 that was far from perfect, and got pretty ticked off when my belt put a nick in the paint. Just put your bike away and anything else you don't want to get hurt and tell your wife you'll give her several more chances to get the lawnmower thing right!!!!!!!!!:080402gudl_prv:

Big Mike......who just wants to hear about someone else making a mistake like that for a change.

P.S. let me know how that works out for ya!...on second thought don't do it, i'd like to see you get several more years of riding in.

That looks like the perfect place for a 2nd Gen tank badge...........:rotfl:

Boomer............who knows that 2nd Gens are impervious to pine cones,beer bottles,and all other stuff that would mess up a 1st Gen Washing Machine.....:stirthepot: :whistling: :rotf:

I feel bad for your bike being damaged, but I must be truthful here.

If I placed my bike out in the driveway to clean it up.....and then later on my wife wants to cut the grass, I think I would have moved my bike back into the garage and closed the door so that grass and dust would not get all over my cleaned bike.....:whistling:

And besides, just knowing there are pine cones laying around in the yard and knowing that they have been run over in previous days / years.. that experience alone would have told me to move my bike....:buttkick:

Dang, Im sorry guy but sometimes we just have to tell the truth.....:confused24:

oooohhhhhhhhhhhh... don`t think I`m gonna step in this one.... it`s gonna stink...:duck:

I'm with you brother....un uhh...aint gonna go there....Taters reads these forums....and I get in enough trouble by myself, don't wan't her to open that can of whoop A$$ ON ME for shooting off my mouth....un uhh not me......:innocent-emoticon::fnd_(16):

Best thing to do is inform her how much that is going to cost,,, and then suggest that a training session or two or three might help repay all the hurt you're feeling and the bike has taken. Professional training can be hard to come by, but if she wants I'll be obliged to help out.

Use the guilt while you can on her. I would try to see how much a small body shop might charge. I have the advantage of my father in law owning one and I can just taking it by there. If you can't do that I would go by an auto parts store and pick up some type of emblem.

Good Luck

Hell,

I'd paint a PINE CONE in that exact same spot! You ought to be able to ride that wave for YEARS! I do feel your pain, Just last week Jean was getting off the 87'VR and drug her boot across the false tank cover gas cap door! I'm still waiting for the vein in my forehead to receed. Women and lawn mowers don't mix.

Earl (and Jean sleeping in the garage!)

I had pulled my poor old 83 Venture out on this bright sunny Monday (holiday in Canada), and gave her a thorough once-over : check the plugs for sootiness/too clean, any leaks, all fluid levels, air pressures, etc.

My bride offers to cut the lawn if I can watch our 2 darling girls (ages 4 & 2) for the time. I say no problem (her having cut the lawn in... ummm, never). The girls and I play happily in the back yard, when I hear a "GGggrrrrunnnch" followed quickly by a "whack".

The result is posted in the picture. I believe she hit a pine cone with the lawn mowver, which promptly decided to launch it full speed with significant rotational velocity towards my bike. Ugggh.

I know it need some touching up anyways, but did she have to hit the one panel that was fine ?

Man what a bummer! Though.............it might not ALL be your wife's fault:whistling: I don't even leave the garage door up, let alone any of the bikes out when were mowing. That being said, might be a good time to sell a whole new paint job to her while she's weak with guilt!:thumbsup:

For what it's worth, (and i can't lay my hands on the claim right now ,but it is out of a professional magazine) Objects being launched out from under a lawnmower can do as much damage as a .357!!

I've got a (partially) detached retina as a result of a sweetgum ball ricocheting of a tree.

Well... as far as leaving the bike out while she mowed, I had assumed (wrongfully) that she would cut the front lawn first (where she started), instead of going all around the perimeter of the property. I had planned on getting the 2 year old launched on the backyard swing, then putting the bike back in the driveshed (safe zone). Somehow, she enthusiastically mowed into something (I am only speculating it was a pine cone), and the result is pictured above.

Makes me glad one of the 2 kids do not have a pine cone embedded in their foreheads... however, I would have gratefully taken one in the shins rather than have it hit my bike.

I am also still perplexed how she did it with a mulching lawnmower (no discharge)... Whatever she did, it took talent.

:doh:

I was going to say that the problem maynot be with the gal, but with the guy taking off the safety shield on the discharge chute, but you said it was a mulching mower...so never mind.

Still it may be worth mentioning, if you take those things off, you WILL have stuff fly too far at some point.

On my riding mower, I have a long bungee cord on the plastic chute shield, and when I need to spread out the grass more, and it is safe, I can pull it up while moving, and then let it down.

Nothing gets my attention much more than going by someone mowing on a spring/summer day, throwing grass 6 feet into my lane as I go by! If they hit a rock or piece of glass, then I have a serious problem or at the least, some damage to the bike.

I make sure to keep my grass on my yard, and don't aim for the street till I am sure my safety shield will do the job and keep stuff where I want it.

Yep, took real skill to throw something from a mulching mower that high onto your bike!:stirthepot:

Funny story.

I am always scared when I go by a golf driving range, cause about 12 years ago I was the golfer. I had a big yard and my father in law lived across the street form us. I was hitting and practicing and I sliced it! My father in law was on the tractor cutting his field (250 yards away) and the ball nailed him!!! Hit him in the knee and he nearly fell off the tractor!!! LOL!!

:big-grin-emoticon:

Dave,

It's your own fault. You should know better than to let a woman operate machinery that is any more complicated than an iron.:stirthepot:

Got home from the shop today and the missus was mowing the lawn. She apparently didn't damage the tractor OR the barn door this time.

I did notice that on adjacent cuts she was running the tire in the same track from the last pass. I stopped her and pointed out that she was giving up almost a foot of cut from overlap and would be done faster if she stayed just outside of the last track.

She says: "Oh, I don't look at the tire anyhow."

I ask: "Ok, then what do you look at?"

She says: "I don't look at anything, I just mow."