IGNORED

An accident that really hits close to home.

Mariner Fan

I just got a call about this. The guy who was riding the motorcycle is a friend of mine and we were co-workers for many years. It will be awhile before I find out his condition but his grand-daughter was killed.

I've always felt that these kind of postings had the benefit of keeping all of us on our toes to watch out for the cars out there. Never thought I'd be one of those guys making the post. :(

Be careful out there my friends....

Bob

http://www.krem.com/topstories/stories/krem2-051109-crash-victim-father.177ad9e2.html

hey Bob

my heart felt like it stopped when i read this.

i am having trouble finding words to descibe the loss of a child.

our prayers go out to the family at this time.

Scott and Sherry

Bob, I am really sorry to hear about this, I had an elderly woman do the exact same thing to me, and she had the same response, I was alone and not banged up too bad but I would have never forgiven myself if my daughter would have been on the back. I think your friend will have a difficult time getting over this accident. I understand it was not his fault and not blaming him for anything I just cant imagine loosing my grand daughter like that. I wish him the very best. Craig

My heart goes out to her family. The little ones are always the hardest. I hope the woman loses her license.

On a similar note...

Saturday night, after hanging out with a friend at a benefit ride, about 4 hours later I hear my EMS radio go off stating a motorcycle vs deer. I listened to it, but I didn't know who it was. The next day, I got up and drove down here to Chattanooga. I talked to my wife last night, and she informed me that it was the same friend that I was with a few hours earlier, that was involved in the crash. He has lots of rash, and 15 fractures in his ribs....very lucky, as he t-boned the deer at 65mph. I guess he has nine lives, as he is an ex Pennsylvania State Motorcycle Trooper, and already has only one arm from a previous crash years ago. He says he saw the first 2 deer, but not the 3rd. He will make it home today, and his bike is trashed.

It's bad enough when an adult gets killed in an accident. It's a lot worse when a child is killed. This is terrible for your friend and his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and with the family. I saw what happened to my next door neighbor when he was hit by a drunk driver. He lived but he's not quite the same (head injury). He lost everything he owned and is lucky to be alive. His experience didn't scare me off of riding but did make me a much more aware rider.

I know 75 year old people that can do everything fine BUT I see old people drive around slow and then go up to a stop sign and go through just like it isn't there. They run wide or short in turns. I think there is a correlation in how competent they are when they get older to how active they were when they were younger and how active they are now. Exercise goes a long way towards maintaining abilities. Its a shame we can't weed the bad ones out before they kill somebody.

Bob,Our thoughts and prayers go out to this family. About 2 weeks ago avery similar accident to a friend of mine here in New Jersey. A riding group of 19 goldwings were headed out for a ride when a 90 year old woman made a left into their lane in mid pack. Killed my friend on the scene and the other biker had numerous injuries. Lady said she thoughr she could make it between the bikes. It makes you wonder what the heck we are doing out on the road. God Bless Chris

I actually know the father as well. I was his supervisor back when I was with Alcoa.

I'll probably know tomorrow how extensive Robin's injuries are. He's going to need a lot of support from his family to deal with this. Probably some counseling as well since he's the kind of guy who will blame himself for this, even though it's not his fault.

I sit here with tears in my eyes, and cannot possibly or even remotely imagine the level of grief and heartbreak that has now overwhelmed this family. I often consider the option of enjoying a ride with my own granddaughter, but always decide against it. Perhaps now I know why...

Our thoughts and prayers are with this family, as well as all others who become victims of personal negligence.

Terry & Janis

Bob,

All I can do is echo the sympathies of others. I can't imagine if I was on the bike w/ any of my kids and this were to happen. I would go nuts. I had often thought of letting my oldest daughter ride when she gets old enough to reach the floorboards flat footed. This does make you think twice.

I just about bit the dust this morning. In this case I can't say it would have been the other person's fault. They were in my blind spot and I thought they were behind me when I changed lanes. After I got in front of the truck, I figure the driver probably slowed down for me or else I would have hit it. Regardless of fault, it has been a # of years since I have taken MSF. I have been wanting to retake it.

Just an update. Information is kinda spotty because the hospital isn't talking much.

Robin's legs were crushed in the accident and there is a real possibility that they will have to amputate them both. He is still critical and we aren't sure if he will survive. Apparently, the internal injuries were severe as well.

I wish I could give better details but as soon as I know, I'll pass it on.