IGNORED

Zednos Replaced tires no charge

saddlebum

Took my wheels into Zednos today. I had avon venoms put on by Zednos last fall and with less than 200 km on them the sidewalls were cracking. Al at Zednos with no hesitation at all replaced them at no charge Even gave me the option to choose from different brands, at which point I opted to go back to the Dunlop 491 elite II which was what I had originaly had and was very pleased with. This is not the first time I have dealt with Zednos and I have always received excellent treatment from them.

P/S apparantly Dunlop got a lot of complaints from the goldwing people when they stopped producing the 491 elite II and so are again producing them.

• 7 years later...

Just what exactly were you thinking??? Tune up? Would you like the carbs rebuilt? Plugs changed? new plug wires? carbs synced? valves checked? valve cover gaskets?

You can sure be into some big money depending on what you think need doing.

On the other hand, take a day and visit a friend to see what might happen.

Hi Ben,

Would you recommend them for mechanical work as well? I am in need of new tires but also thought a tuneup as well.

What say ye? :scratchchin:

Thomas

Just what exactly were you thinking??? Tune up? Would you like the carbs rebuilt? Plugs changed? new plug wires? carbs synced? valves checked? valve cover gaskets?

You can sure be into some big money depending on what you think need doing.

On the other hand, take a day and visit a friend to see what might happen.

I am inclined to agree with Carl. They do a lot of work on various bikes there and may even be good at it but it seems to me most places are a little sketchy when it comes to our ventures. As Carl pointed out what sort of issues are you having.

As far as the tires go I would pull the wheels either at home or a friends and just take the wheels in. That way you can be sure to lube the rear drive as required which I have heard from some that they forget to do or are maybe not aware of. But price wise on tires and standing behind them They have been good. I have used them 3 times for that now.

Edited by saddlebum

@Midicat I just got off the phone with Marcarl and we had a little discussion. So here is what we are suggesting if you want to bring your bike to Carls this Sat we can pull the wheels, you can take them up to Zednos get your tires on and balanced. In the mean time depending on what exactly it is what you want done Carl and I can work away at the rest of the bike.

OK a little advice with leaking valve cover gaskets. The real issue is those rubber grommets that go on the valve cover gaskets have taken what is known as a "set" from age, and if you try to reuse them with new gaskets they will leak!! The problem is the bolts themselves bottom out, and the old rubbers will not push down on the valve cover enough to make as tight fit! There is two ways to fix this (actualy 3) either replace the rubbers with new ones (somewhat pricy) or do the poor man's fix and put metal washers on the bolts, or use slightly shorter screws (impossible to find)...

If you are working on getting the bike ready for sale then you need to make sure that it is running properly, no misses, no leaks, starts well and doesn't smoke.

Anything more than that is just spending money.

I used to have a valve tool, but somebody went and broke it, but I suppose I could maybe borrow one locally if needed. The next thing that comes with that is to find replacement shims if needed, and that could be more difficult after hours. Now that I reasoned that out, I would just replace the cover gaskets and bolt seals, but they will have to be ordered in advance.

Brake and clutch fluid is easy and can be quick, rear drive can be done when the back wheel is off, so not too big of an issue.

Now if you plan to ride this machine, and the tires are old(er) then I can see the reason for replacement, if you are just getting ready for sale and the tires have decent tread, you are just spending money. You are asking $3200, which is a bit high, and that's ok. I would think that the final price would be between 2 and 2.5. Now if you figure the money you're thinking of investing in it at this point, there won't be much left to pocket.

The bike will need to have 3 things going for it to sell: It needs to look good, which it does, and it needs to start well and run nice, and have ride-able rubber.

I agree total with what Carl says. With the valve cover, 1st choice would be new gasket and rubber washers for the retaining bolts. Second choice would be a tube of RIGHT STUFF (far better than any silicone product) and some stainless washers for the valve cover bolts. Either way should have a tube of black RIGHT STUFF any way as even with a new gasket its good to use a bit in corners. Most auto suppliers and Canadian tire stores carry it.

So, should we carry on as planned for tomorrow and address valve cover gaskets when I get them in, or should we delay everything until I get the valve cover gaskets?

I'm fine with either option.

Thomas

That will kind of depend on a number of things.

One is that I will be gone for the 17th and 24th.

Two is why are you doing this

You want to ride it or are you fixing it to sell and then how soon do you want it to be ready.

Another thing to consider is how deep are you prepared to get into this machine.

Don't want to scare you none at all,,, but:

If you take the back wheel off and get into the spline and bearings and they show wear are you ready to replace them? $150-$200

Once the carbs are balanced and it still doesn't run right will you rebuild the carbs? $100- $300

If the charging issue won't go away do you want to replace the stator and or rectifier? $150-$250?

Tires $300-$400?

You can quickly spend a cool thousand.

I\we don't mind helping out. that would be the fun part, and the scoot can sit here waiting for parts, that's ok too.

But do you want to spend the money?

I think the reason for selling is more due to the fact that it requires a level of attention which is greater than I can manage on my own. I am ready to spend the money on tires, gaskets, bearings if necessary, and stator if required. Because I don't have the facilities and on hands experience (except for the stator) I have become overwhelmed with the quantity and complexity of some of the work required. If I spend the money I would definitely keep it and ride it more often. Does that help to explain where my head is at?

Thomas

If you are going to replace the valve cover gaskets, you should absolutely check the valve clearance. You already did 90% of the work of a valve check just to get to the gaskets, the valves will be right there staring at you, and it only takes a few minutes to check the clearances. They may be fine and need no changes, but at least you will know what the deal is and be able so say to a buyer with a clear conscience that the valves are good. At this point checking the valves is a no cost selling point.

I think the reason for selling is more due to the fact that it requires a level of attention which is greater than I can manage on my own. I am ready to spend the money on tires, gaskets, bearings if necessary, and stator if required. Because I don't have the facilities and on hands experience (except for the stator) I have become overwhelmed with the quantity and complexity of some of the work required. If I spend the money I would definitely keep it and ride it more often. Does that help to explain where my head is at?

Thomas

So where are you then,,, I've been waiting all day,,, NOT!

Bring it over, and we'll see that you have a completely rebuilt scoot to ride,,, no issues,,,can't wait!

Well, after a 45 min ride in a storm that threw cats and dogs at me and pelted the tops of my cheeks until they were red, I arrived at Carl's thinkin "so we'll change the brake fluid, go get new tires, replace the valve cover gaskets, and lube the pumpkin up good and i'll be on my way." Nothing could have been further from the truth.

Not 10 min after my arrival, Carl says to me "how you getting home? Your not expecting to drive this home today are you?"

It didn't take long for me to get a really good understanding of where those questions came from.

Pulled the tires, splines on the back tire were finished.

20160910_121845.jpg

This is what they should look like.

20160910_121940.jpg

Then Ben shows up and takes off the valve covers to address the gaskets. Well, of course we need to check the gaps and shim any valves that require attention. Valve cover gaskets, and new bolt washers have been ordered. New diaphragms as well.

20160910_161731.jpg

Now, let's talk about the brakes. You know, it makes no sense to change the brake fluid if you aren't sure that the calipers are working properly. So off they come. Three calipers, six stubborn pistons later, they are off and cleaned. New seals have been ordered. At this point it makes perfect sense to decide if you want to delink the brakes, and if your going to do that, you might as well order stainless steel lines because those 31 yr old lines are robbing you of braking power. We are delinking and custom stainless lines will be ordered.

When I pulled up at 9:30am, I thought I was going to be out by 4:00pm. Ha!

Here's what she looked like when I pulled up at 9:30am.

20160830_150827.jpg

And here's how she looked when I left her at 9:30pm.

20160910_192614.jpg

Am I worried? Not in the least! The two fellas in the photos are the most knowledgeable and trustworthy individuals one could ever have the pleasure to know. I grimaced a few times as the price kept climbing but I came to the realization that a 31 yr old scoot needs attention. So I don't mind spending it if it means I get another decade of pleasure out of this beautiful ride. Besides, I know she's in really good, confident hands.

A HUGE thank you to Ben (Saddlebum) and Carl (Marcarl) for the loving attention given to my needy Venture!

Edited by Midicat

Thomas,

Your scoot is in very good hands, I don't think there is any thing that Ben and Carl have not done to the Ventures. Two great guys to have in your corner. Thumbs up Carl and Ben.

Mike

Carl has helped me a number of times. Just have to watch out when Carl looks at a bolt and says "Where'd that come from? Probably don't need it". Where did you think he got all the extra parts in his garage?

Just kidding....great pair of guys !

Ok so now I have a question. Taking into account all the pictures taken of Carl and myself over the years. Ive started noticing that in the majority of pics Carls are a frontal view were most of the time all anyone gets to see of me is the bald spot on the top of my head. Its pretty bad when Carl and I walk into a group of venture riders and they say Hello Carl right away but I have to bend down so they can see the top of my head before they recognized me " Oh saddlebum its you"

You guys are letting off Midicat easy!! This called for a Meet and Greet.....with Midicat providing the meat. When we getting together again to put the bike back together?:confused24:...assuming Carl hasnt pressure washed the nuts and bolts off the floor..:stickinouttounge:

:cool10:

Edited by chabicheka