IGNORED

Off to Boston

Freebird

Hey Don,

Glad to hear you treatment went well. If radiation is anything like chemo, though, the fatigue and any side effects may be cumulative, meaning they will manifest themselves more with each treatment. But it's a small price to pay to make yourself better and hopefully some day you won't need them anymore.

BTW, just want to thank you so much for sending Dan Lowery the word about me. I was pleased and very excited to get a phone call from him this morning! We had a great conversation and it was sure good to hear his voice again!

Typical Don Nelson...even when he's got big problems of his own he's helping someone else out to make their lives better....:happy34:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do want to make it over your way one day, but I have to stick fairly close to home, dont:bang head: have a lot of vacation time, will get 3 weeks starting next year, I hope. I have to remember the breakfast too..........:thumbsup2:

now would i do that? seriously just letting you hair down in tough times often helps. would like to see you up here also lewis. i garrantee you'll have a great time. if you and don come here i will personally buy you both a cracker barrel breakfast. :welcome1::clap2: :2133:

Did I mention that I really don't enjoy driving in Boston and WHY does it cost so much to part here. Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What's not to like about a vast array of one-way streets, uncluttered by informational street signs??

There are about four free parking spaces in the city. If you drive around enough you might find one.:whistling:

Weather is getting better after today - all the above is why they call Boston a "walking city". :think: Hopefully you'll have a chance to take in some of the sites and maybe walk through the public garden on a nice day before you go. E-mailed you a map with a few thoughts yesterday.

Hey Don,

Glad to hear you treatment went well. If radiation is anything like chemo, though, the fatigue and any side effects may be cumulative, meaning they will manifest themselves more with each treatment. But it's a small price to pay to make yourself better and hopefully some day you won't need them anymore.

BTW, just want to thank you so much for sending Dan Lowery the word about me. I was pleased and very excited to get a phone call from him this morning! We had a great conversation and it was sure good to hear his voice again!

Typical Don Nelson...even when he's got big problems of his own he's helping someone else out to make their lives better....:happy34:

Yea, I knew he would get in touch. He's a good guy. I was sorry to hear that he is no longer riding. Hopefully he will be again soon.

Finished second round of radiation early today. Seemed to go a bit easier and quicker today. Slight headache but otherwise no big deal. Still tired though.

Well folks, I am now finished with 4 days of radiation. I have one more treatment tomorrow morning and then am headed home. Other than my eye feeling like it is a bit burned, all seems to be going OK. Really ready for it to be over with though. After tomorrow, we start the waiting game. I guess I really won't know much until I come back in June for all the tests and etc. again. My vision is a bit cloudy in the right eye but I can still see at this time. They say it can take a couple of months or even up to a couple of years though before I lose the sight. I'm thankful to still have it today though.

I have to say that the folks here in Boston, both at the hospital and those we run into elsewhere have been a very friendly bunch of people.

Well folks, I am now finished with 4 days of radiation. I have one more treatment tomorrow morning and then am headed home. Other than my eye feeling like it is a bit burned, all seems to be going OK. Really ready for it to be over with though. After tomorrow, we start the waiting game. I guess I really won't know much until I come back in June for all the tests and etc. again. My vision is a bit cloudy in the right eye but I can still see at this time. They say it can take a couple of months or even up to a couple of years though before I lose the sight. I'm thankful to still have it today though.

I have to say that the folks here in Boston, both at the hospital and those we run into elsewhere have been a very friendly bunch of people.

don thats great news. glad you made it through it with a good prognosis. now if i could get you to my st. charles meet you could let your hair down and relax. if you want to cage it i have a v-star here you could ride with all the creature comforts. i'm sure everyone would like to see you and linda and i would love to have you. bill:2133:

I have been wondering how you were doing, glad to hear it hasnt been too bad, hopefully the treatments will do there job and you can get back to a normal life, like mowing grass and mulching and getting ready for MD:scorched: Take care, Craig

Hi Don,

Just logged in tonight to see if anyone heard from you, and I find this thread is on the second or third page and overrun already by other threads!

Sounds like you got good things going, although I cannot imagine what a burned eye feels like. I just started my fourth round of chemo, which will end Sunday evening when the visiting nurse pays a visit to my house to unhook the pump.

Our prayers are still going forth for a successful-as-it-can-be outcome to your treatments!

Don, we are praying for your health and traveling safety out there. As others have mentioned, please dont worry about this internet stuff but focus on your health and all the decisions pertaining to it..

God Bless you folks!

'Puc

Thanks for all the kind words and prayers. I finished the radiation treatments yesterday morning and then headed home. It is a 700 mile drive and I had planned to stop somewhere but really wanted to get home so ended up driving all the way. Wasn't too bad, walked into the house about 8:30 last night but was completely beat. Decided to check my email before I went to bed but when I saw there were almost 400 emails, I decided it could wait until this morning. :)

I'm doing OK. The eye is a bit sore but not bad at all. Vision is a little blurry but at this time, I think it's more from the ointment that I have to use twice a day more than anything else.

It's just a waiting game now. I have to go to my local doctor in 6 weeks just to make sure that the eye is healing properly and then back to Boston in 6 months for a series of tests to see if they got all the cancer. In the meantime, I could lose some or all of the sight in that eye but that too is a waiting game. As the radiation continues to work on the cancer, it will also be killing good cells very close to the optic nerve. I hate to lose the sight but the more important thing is that the cancer is taken care of.

I plan to take it pretty easy this weekend. Have a few things I need to get done around the house. I plan to work this week but haven't decided if I will go out of town or just work the local area here. Then week after next, I have our annual spring sales meeting in Minnesota and Iowa. They have told me that I can skip it if I don't feel like attending but I'll probably go anyway.

Plenty to do here though. The air conditioner went out on the car just before we left for Boston. It goes into the shop on Monday morning. Then we got a call from my son on Wednesday while in Boston. He is playing on the high school tennis team and got hit with a tennis raquet and chipped a front tooth pretty good. Gotta get him to a dentist this week for some work.

So.....life continues. Never a dull moment around here. :) I feel pretty good though and my spirits are high. Bring it on..........

Don, I am glad it went well, and your spirits are high. I would think it would be a little load off of your mind knowing that part is behind you. Hopefully, that treatment will do the trick, and you won't need any more.

Pullin' for ya here Bud.:080402gudl_prv:

Don,we are thinking about you and the family everyday...Glad to see you got back to "Home Sweet Home"....It sounds like things went as planned...

Your positive attitude is a inspiration to all the members here........

Take it easy and don't overdue the work thing....

Work is overated anyway.....:D