IGNORED

83 wow

KarlS

Went riding with a friend who has a 1500 wing Wednesday and my new to me 83 venture amazed me again. Was merging onto the e-way with my friend right behind me and as I got on the e-way I gave it just a little more throttle and BOOM I was gone. I guess the best way to describe it, it was like opening up a nitrous bottle at 70mph. When we got off the e-way and stopped my friend looks at me and asks, what was that? I'm right with you and then you were just gone. Well on the way back I'm doing about 60 and decide to slowly roll on the throttle and see what it does. Just like before I get to "the sweet spot" and bam shes gone. Revs jumps up, massive power, and shes just flying. Is this how all these 1st gens run? Still grinning ear to ear just thinking about it.:thumbsup:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To put it into one word------YES!

Now, for your second lesson- do this starting out from a dead stop with about a quarter mile clearance ahead of you, run it hard up through third gear. Then check rearview mirror to see the grin permanently plastered on your face!!

Dan

LOL when I first got my bike it was only running on 3 cyl. After I changed the plugs and ran some seafoam thru it, it was a different bike. I took it to the slab and ran it thru the gears taking it up to 6000rpm to shift at. Like you said, I was amazed. I even made a post about it. I went from 0-85 in about 3.6secs I think. And she wanted to do 100mph, but I backed off and hit the exit. Way fast bikes for being so heavy. On a side note, I cant get over the ride also. So smooth and I still need a carb sync. But the ride is so good I cant imagine a better ride. I like the feet under position, so I'm really happy with the fit. I can flat foot it and fit the bike well. It's like it was built for me. It gets plenty of compliments too. I'm glad this bike found me.

Thats why the 2nd gen guys are so jealous:stickpoke::witch_brew::rotf::rotf::rotf:

just couldn't resist...could ya?

:witch_brew: :rasberry:

Well, as of today, I'm still a 1st genner even tho I got a 2nd gen too so I guess I'm "in between" and can't comment either way coz I'd be razzin myself LOL

As of Tomorrow, the '87 will be sold so I'll make my snarky response then...:D

Thats why the 2nd gen guys are so jealous:stickpoke::witch_brew::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Yes, I am jealous! :mad:

That's why I keep the V-Max close, just in case you 1st gen guys come gunnin' for my 2nd gen.

Maybe one day, I'll get the chance to ride a 1st gen.

Welcome to the world of the 1st gen Venture, especially the 83. I feel the same way and I have put 98,000 miles on my 83 for a total of 121,000. It fits me so good and even though I think the 2nd gen is a great looking cruiser bike, the 1st gen, especially the ones with the smaller bags is such a great "sport touring" bike. I often run into people that like the looks of my bike and just can not believe it is over 26 years old.

RandyA

I have both, 83 1st gen and 08 2nd gen, am finding I may leave 08 at home, a lot, just a completely different bike.

Wife has even commented about the difference.

And I don't think mine is really running 100%, plus repairing after deer strike, need gold fairing.

I will admit it, I miss my first gen. But then I got 5 speeding tickets in the first year I owned it, and haven't got a speeding ticket as of yet on the 2nd gen. So the 2nd gen saves me on my insurance rates and fines, but oh what a great feeling that 1st gen was.

Ron

Yep the 83 is the fastest stock Venture made. I own one and keeping it too....

I ride the Second Gen. for comfort and long distance and the First Gen. to make the GL1500 & Harley's mad with Evey.

P.S. 83's will pull the front tire off the ground in first & second gear. I don't do it anymore with Peg riding :yikes: she hits real hard :buttkick:....

Buddy

Karl,

I told you these guys love the 1st gens, and they fly !!

Glad your wearing a smile bro, it was quite a job getting her back to where she should be.

Good news is your doing it right, making the upgrades as you go.

Kind of nice seeing red in the rearview!!

:thumbsup:

Gary

To put it into one word------YES!

Now, for your second lesson- do this starting out from a dead stop with about a quarter mile clearance ahead of you, run it hard up through third gear. Then check rearview mirror to see the grin permanently plastered on your face!!

Dan

When you hit 96mph in 3rd it's time to shift into 4th...

Thats why the 2nd gen guys are so jealous:stickpoke::witch_brew::rotf:

Actually Cliff - it's not a jealousy thing at all.

I've just discovered with my 2nd Gen that I can do exactly the same as the 83 model does, then I shift it into second gear, then 3rd gear and so on and on and on to overdrive. THEN watch it REALLY fly. :rotf::rotf:

I've just discovered with my 2nd Gen that I can do exactly the same as the 83 model does, then I shift it into second gear, then 3rd gear and so on and on and on to overdrive. THEN watch it REALLY fly. :rotf::rotf:

You have to wait till overdrive to get it to fly? We do that in 1st!!!!!

I will admit it, I miss my first gen. But then I got 5 speeding tickets in the first year I owned it, and haven't got a speeding ticket as of yet on the 2nd gen. So the 2nd gen saves me on my insurance rates and fines, but oh what a great feeling that 1st gen was.

Ron

RE: the speeding ticket... heh... it was just the opposite for me ... haven't had a sppeding ticket in 30 yrs... drove my '85 and my '87 to the max most of the time ... hadn't had the '06 for more than 2 months and I get a ticket!

Actually Cliff - it's not a jealousy thing at all.

Not sure if my '98 TC qualifies as a 2nd Gen:scratchchin:, but it too runs up to 95+ in 3rd :stickpoke:rather quickly:innocent:. I have to admit it won't lift the front wheel, but it will get loose in 1st...:yikes: