IGNORED

Animal Lovers Beware

BradT

Went to the Petsmart to purchase dog food and almost $hit. We have a 170-180 lb Newfoundland Dog. We have been feeding him Authority dog food and purchase a 40 lb bag about once a month. Tonight I walked in and walked out, then had to go back pay.

The last bag I bought a month ago was 32.99 and today it was 45.99 not including the 13% taxes. Eukanuba was 75.99 (plus tax) for a 40 lb bag.

I had to ask the lady at the desk how they can justify a (39.4%) increase. She smiled and continued to smile as she said

1. Rice and corn have gone up (Not sure how much this inrease was)
  2. Transportation costs (Price a barrel is 1/3 the cost it was a year ago)
  3. Petcetara went backrupt (purchased by Petsmart)
  4. People are losing their jobs (Not sure how this has anything to do with the increase)
  5. and do not forget everything we purchase will be getting the new Ontario Harmony tax of 13% (which has always been part of purchasing dog food).

I wanted to ask her to explain her answers but I just looked at her smiling face and knew I would be wasting my time.

I feel sorry for the pets and the Humane Societies as people stop adopting pets. Or worse off people giveing them up, in tough times.

Brad

Guest retusn

Brad,

Go match the ingredients in your current dog food with Costcos. I'll bet they are pretty close and the price is MUCH cheaper.

My monthly bad of dog food has gone from $35.00 to 45.00 I just went this weekend for a bag. The sticker shock was huge. I like to feed him the good stuff,but I will look around for an alternative at this rate. As long as its good.

Much of the corn has gone to making ethanol, hence the price increase. I used to go through a 50 lb bag a month for 17.99. Now the size has been reduced to 44 lbs and the price is 22.95 and this is at Wal-Mart.

Hey it's not just dog food. My son is a body builder and all he eats is fish and oatmeal. Costco used to sell Tilapia for $4.29 per pound but you had to by 4 or 5 pounds at a time which was not a problem since my son would go through that in about 2 days. NOW Costco sells it for $5.49 per pound not frozen and $4.60 per pound frozen. I hate WalMart but I decided to shop around. WalMart's thawed Tilapia is $3.98 per pound and WalMart's frozen Tilapia is $3.50 per pound. I'm a member of Costco but they do not aways have the best deal.:2cents:

Guest Swifty

Dang, I'm glad I have someone else paying to feed my four legged lover....enough trouble feeding myself on my income. :fiddle: Cheers to all the dog owners out there, and all the more power to those with enough cash to fee 180 lb Newfoundlanders....argh!:bowdown:

My dad raises and runs field trail beagles. At last count he had 12 dogs, and has had up to 25. He said that with the corn going for ethenal the price of food as really went up. He feeds Purina Dog Chow-Healthy Life Nutrition. I use the same for my Aussie and Fox Terrier.

Look at the ingrediants and compare. Sometimes the high price stuff your paying for the name.