IGNORED

2000 Venture - High Milage

SkyKing

Hello from Texas. I am new (2nd day) to this site and am seriously considering buying a road bike. I have a classic 1975 Honda 750 FOUR Supersport with just over 9,000 original miles, but I would like to move up to a larger road bike.

There is one I am considering.....a 2000 Venture with just over 100,000 miles. My question is about mileage. Although the bike is nearly 10 years old how does 100,000 miles on a Venture standup? I understand a well maintained bike can run for several miles but is there anything I need to know or ask the owner?

Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to meeting some you on the road someday.

:BLUE:

100K is a ton of miles on any bike. Having said that, a well maintained machine could be good for that many more. There are quite a few 1st Genners here with high milage and a few 2nd genners as well. I personally know two guys with 100k+ on their GoldWings.

Depending on the price and what it needs, I would consider it.

Regards, Ponch

If the owner has a good maintenance history, and reciepts for any parts he installed.

Also, I would want to see the results of a Compression Check.

Ask, as to any major work, as , Stator Replacement, Clutch Replacement, rear drive unit replacement. Check for oil leaks on the Rear Suspension shock. Oil leaks on the front Forks. Ask for any records, of brake caliper rebuilds.

Also, any records of doing Carb. Rebuild job.

So far most of the owners here of these bikes take very good care of them. The engine that these bike use has been around for some time and proven to be very reliable and many reports of these bikes going 250-300. thousand miles, and you having owned a bike should know a little about what your looking at! Check the Wheel Bearings and look to see how the Brake Pads are and look for crack's where the side bags and trunk, faring & lower cowling mount or attach. Tires is a no brainer first look should tell you if they need replacing. Any here know the blue book on a 2000. Venture?.

If it's the red one it has been ridden fast - since red is the fastest color.

Seriously though, these are pretty solid bikes. They are also pretty easy to work on for maintenance items (clutch, rear shock - though expensive, brakes, fork seals are kind of a pain). Check to see if the key will fit all the locks. If it needs to be turned around (each side of the key is different), the main ignition switch has been replaced. Not neccessarily a deal breaker, but something to ask about.

Is the guy selling it the original owner? I wouldn't be scared of the mileage if it has been well taken care of. Check his garage and see if it is neat and tidy. Kind of like checking a girlfriend's mother to see what she will be like in 25 years. If the garage is organized and tidy, the bike was probably maintained that way too. No guarantees, but a gut feel.

Good luck and keep us informed.

And if you buy it, we have a rule around here. Pics are required!!

RR

I would personally stay away from it because probably for a little bit more money you can get one with low miles on it and i think it would be worth it to spend a little more on a bike that has low miles. I'm not saying that the bike is wore out and not any good but that is a ton of miles. Even if you have to spend a little more you will probably gain that money back on the repairs that you may have to make to the one with the high miles and then you would still have a high milage bike. Also if you decided you wanted to trade up in a couple of years you would have a hard time selling that bike because of the amount of miles that's on it. Just my opinion but i would look for another Venture with low miles. You will feel alot better if you get one like that and there certainly isn't any shortage of nice Ventures with low miles on them at a great price, especially in todays economy.

100,000 miles are not that much, but the bike is sure worth a lot less than if it only had 50,000 miles. If you can buy it cheap and you are not planning to put more than 5,000 miles a year on it, it may be the bike for you. If you can do your own maintains, that would be a plus to.

It would be good if you could get a Venture Rider to check it out for you.

Earl

:thumbsup:

.... I have a classic 1975 Honda 750 FOUR Supersport with just over 9,000 original miles, but I would like to move up to a larger road bike.

I had one of them 750 Four Supersports, I loved that bike it was quick...:thumbsup2:

So far most of the owners here of these bikes take very good care of them. The engine that these bike use has been around for some time and proven to be very reliable and many reports of these bikes going 250-300. thousand miles, and you having owned a bike should know a little about what your looking at! Check the Wheel Bearings and look to see how the Brake Pads are and look for crack's where the side bags and trunk, faring & lower cowling mount or attach. Tires is a no brainer first look should tell you if they need replacing. Any here know the blue book on a 2000. Venture?.

I'm also new to this site. Way up here in Alaska. :snow2: I just purchased a '99 RSV with 2600 miles.:thumbsup: Based only on the year of the bike teh bank told me it booked @ $7600.00 Good luck:happy34:

I'm also new to this site. Way up here in Alaska. :snow2: I just purchased a '99 RSV with 2600 miles.:thumbsup: Based only on the year of the bike teh bank told me it booked @ $7600.00 Good luck:happy34:

Welcome to the board Midnight... The bank was probably using an older book. The current values for the 2000MM, from Kelly and NADA, are 8450/5800 and 7285/5540. The first number is dealer retail and the second is trade in, and these are averages. In this economy the closer a seller gets to the trade in value, the better the chances of selling their bike..... For a bike with a hundred thou on the odo, they need to be very flexible.... :)

You live in the same State as Goose...he may be able to help you make a decision.

Personally, 100K is a lot of miles but the deciding factor as mentioned before is the price and mechanical condition of the bike.

I agree with alot of the guys. 100,000 miles is alot for any bike regardless of how reliable the motor is. You can find some lower mileage bkes for pretty cheap right now. I just got my 04 with 22,000 miles for $7000. It bluebooks for 11,900 according to NADA. Now if the bike is just an absolute steal like say $3000 or so get it. Just be aware that the money you saved on buying the high mile bike should go into replacing well worn items like bearings and such to keep it from turning sour. JMHO.:mo money: