IGNORED

Opinions please..

Guest wornout

Guest wornout

Hello...I am new to this board,but not motorcycling. I have been on or around scoots since 1959, and have one of about everything. I currently ride a 2006 GL1800 Gold wing, but I am thinking of trading off to a 2008/2009 Venture. The wing is a fine bike in it's own right, but really getting too big and heavy for me. I don't really need the amount of power it develops either.

Those of you who have the Venture....what do you like best about it.

Any problems unique to the bike?( like the Goldwing cracked frames)

Are parts avilable most of the time?

Does it burn regular fuel?

I ride one up, but I am 6'3" and a biskit short of 300 lbs. Is the Venture a comfy ride for a guy my size?

How do you like the seat?

Can you getr a backrest?

Are there a lot of "add ons" available for it.

How do you like the sound system??

Is power adequate for most riding?

How is doing your own maintenence??? hard/easy

If you could change one thing, what would it be??

I know a lot of this is on the web etc, but I thought I would save some time and just ask those who would best know...the owners.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to answer.........

No offense meant here but you are asking for information overload on the Venture! LOL!

I suggest you read through the Site as the info you seek is readily available.....

Bottom line is that most of us here would not give up their Venture for any other bike and that should speak for itself.

Even the guys who are riding the antique 1st Gen Ventures (which are started up with a pull rope) are happy with their scoots.

Boomer......the innocent one.

Aee worth ??

I am the same size as you and I love my Venture. Go to a dealer and tel them you need a ride.I have a 99 and would not trade if for a GW. That being said the Venture is a big bike just like the wings coming in at 840+ lbs. Maint isn't hard and all, and these things are rock stable. I am currently holding a Maint Day at my house in a few weeks and if you check the site, there are several around the country as these bikes aren't that hard to work on. Almost anything can be done by the rider with proper guidance and tools. ( available on this site)The ride is superb, handling excellent, and the acceleration/speed is great. There is lot of accessories including back rest available. I have the utopia back rest which sits about half way up my back and is great for long rides as I lean back into it and kick my feet up on the Kurykan highway pegs with the radio/mp3 player going. The speakers could use an upgrade but are adequate and not hard to replace.

Get yourself one and joing us at the National in August at the HUB in Marble Falls Arkansas.

Hope this helps.

Hello...I am new to this board,but not motorcycling. I have been on or around scoots since 1959, and have one of about everything. I currently ride a 2006 GL1800 Gold wing, but I am thinking of trading off to a 2008/2009 Venture. The wing is a fine bike in it's own right, but really getting too big and heavy for me. I don't really need the amount of power it develops either.

----(( problems with whinning clutch, not all of them, but some of the. ))--

----(( problems with rear drive, but serviceing and greesing usually solves this problem, and 5 year warrenty, dealers usually take care of it ))

Are parts avilable most of the time? ((( Parts are no problem )))

Does it burn regular fuel? (( Yes !! deffinattly, high test not needed ))

I ride one up, but I am 6'3" and a biskit short of 300 lbs. Is the Venture a comfy ride for a guy my size? --- (( should be no problem !! ))

How do you like the seat? -- (( I have heard few complaints as to seat comfort, many aftermarket seat pads aviallable ))

Can you getr a backrest? --- (( I think so, not sure ))---

Are there a lot of "add ons" available for it.--- (( more then enough, but the RSV don't need many , its got just about everything any sain person needs, stock )) ---

How do you like the sound system??--- (( there have been problems reported on this site, but I don't think they are out of proportioin, and again, 5 year Warrenty !! ))--

Is power adequate for most riding? -- (( yes, 95 HP about-- )) !!!!

--- (( I would say, actualy repairs not hard to do. But lots of " Things " to Remove, to get to the acrual repair. With your experience, should be no problem )) ---

If you could change one thing, what would it be?? --(( higher Amperage Output Stator for the Charging system. Its only 30 Amps, the Aftermarket unit is about 45 Amps from aftermarket supplier-- This is a deffinate "" Modification "" Also, installing a Dry Cell, or Gell Cell Higher Capacity Battery is Highly Reccomended )) --

I know a lot of this is on the web etc, but I thought I would save some time and just ask those who would best know...the owners.

--------- (( I highly reccomend you Read thru the Maintenance Library's on this web site !!! This will fill you in on all the possible Maintenance trouble spots, and how to deal with them. And remember, All bikes have there trouble spots, as I am sure you are aware. Many folks have run these engines to over 150K without a teardown, ))--

I run a 1st Gen, but keep up on everybodies problems. And the Engines are basicly the same. Also, the one big downfall is NO Fuel Injection as yet. So you have to deal with the common Carb problems. Keeping the Fuel System, and Carbs CLEAN, on these bikes, is a Paramont Consideration.

Hope this helps. !! :thumbsup:

Before I begin, know that I'm only 5'8", and 150lbs...

I sold my Venture because I wanted something smaller, and easier to handle at low speeds when loaded 2-up with gear. The weight became a major issue for me. Now as a comparison, I've ridden my dad's '96 GL1500, and to me they felt pretty close. Granted, I never put as many miles on his Wing as I did on my RSV. However, I've sat on the GL1800's, and I thought they felt lower and more balanced than the 1500. So, from my standpoint, I'm not quite sure that you'd be gaining much in the way of a lighter, more maneuverable bike. Again, this could be do to our size difference.

I will definitely have to agree that you should find a dealer (or meet with some of the members here) and take one for a ride. If size is your main deciding factor...

That's just my :2cents:. As to your other questions, GeorgeS pretty much summed them up.

no offense meant here but you are asking for information overload on the venture! Lol!

I suggest you read through the site as the info you seek is readily available.....

Bottom line is that most of us here would not give up their venture for any other bike and that should speak for itself.

Even the guys who are riding the antique 1st gen ventures (which are started up with a pull rope) are happy with their scoots.

pull rope, whatchutalkingbout

I'm about 5'11, 32in inseam and 300lbs and to me it doesn't feel that top heavy. In fact I throw it around like I do my Road Star. But, I would like to have it a few inches shorter.

As far as seat comfort, my '07 has the stock pillow top seats and I added the Utopia backrest. It's the first bike that I have owned that I can ride for 300 miles without my back or butt hurting... much. LoL And the wife has no complaints on the seats either.

I like the my Venture so much that I'm looking to sell or trade my Road Star for a 2nd one.

:Venture:think no more my brother , once you get on a venture you life will change . you will actually enjoy it more the the honda i guarantee it ,i have a 2003 midnight venture and would not trade for anything else just like the rest of their a great bike , good looking , easy to maintain, and a lot of fun to ride . GO FOR IT you wont regreat it

In my Opinion the wing and RSV are about the same as far as weight issues. Both feel heavy at first but MOST get use to the weight and have no problem after getting use to it. My opinion the Wing handles better,seems to be more sport tuned,Snarley Bill can be more specific on this,But again the Venture handles superb,I am just trying to give an opinion that I and only I have observed....Each rider has there own "Feel" for different bikes. I would change the cassette deck out for sure on the RSV and the so called "Whine"from the straight cut gears can be annoying if you focus on that and only that. The bike is to me more comfortable than ANY I have ever been on as far as room and general ride. I can ride or have ridden 750+ miles and still could have gone more but dont care for night riding. Bottom line ride one,or come to Texas and I will let ya take mine out and ride it awhile..Good Luck! No matter what you ride you will find you are welcome on this site with anything,just dont have thin skin as we sometimes like to "Rib" each other but its all in fun. Tom

okay, i'm going to get slammed for this. not knocking the venture, cuz they are nice bikes. i had an rstd that was basically converted to a venture accept for the fairing. i had a travelcade road sofa seat upgrade. i now have an 08 wing. the wing will out handle the venture, has way more power, you will miss the lowend torque and have to shift more often. the leg position is more comfortable on the venture. with the floor boards. they both weigh about the same but the wing has a much lower center of gravity. i just asked my wife on how she would rate the wing and venture on a scale of ten for ride and seating comfort she gave the wing a ten and the venture a seven. you will miss the injection, maybe the reverse if you use it, the turbine smoothness, if thats what you like, the lack of accessories. i personally like the frame mount fairing better. i like the looks of the venture a little better, more motorcyle like. there is no doubt about it the wing sets the standard for touring bikes as you should already know. the venture sits a little higher and is more top heavy there is no doubt about it. as far as a 600 mile ride on both of them on the highway. i would rate them real close for the rider comfort. the floorboards win out over the wing foot pegs. i truly think the venture is one of the best looking bikes on the road. bar none. i would try to get some miles on a venture before you make the move. you may like it or you may be sorry. this is my honest opinion of both bikes, but it is just my opinion. ride a venture and then decide. you ain't going to be an out cast on this site cuz you ride a wing. they put up with me, and i like the hell out of them. bill :2133:

They are quite that old now..............:duck::crying:

No offense meant here but you are asking for information overload on the Venture! LOL!

I suggest you read through the Site as the info you seek is readily available.....

Bottom line is that most of us here would not give up their Venture for any other bike and that should speak for itself.

Even the guys who are riding the antique 1st Gen Ventures (which are started up with a pull rope) are happy with their scoots.

I can't speak about the GW as I have never ridden one but I would be very surprised if you gain anything if your switching because of weight. I have a Road Star and a Venture and I ride the Venture more than the Road Star. One thing you will improve on though is MPG. I have friends who ride GW's and they get 35 -38 mpg my Venture gets 45 -48 mpg. It has plenty of power and it seems that the more RPM's you give her the better she runs.

If you have to have a touring bike I don't think you can do better than the Venture for overall performance and comfort. Two things you have to get used to though 1) slow spead handling but there is a fix that someone your size can do to improve the slow speed handling. (I'm not tall enough to do it so I just have to be careful) 2) If you get a Venture with the engine whine. Mine doesn't have it but two friends of mine do. There is one thing you can do to try to get rid of the whine but that any not do it. Most people just turn up the radio. The whine is not a problem just part of the nature of the Venture.

If you don't have to have a touring bike then I suggest the Stratoliner. Lower center of gravity and pleanty of power. If you don't have to have a tunk or a bike that is comfortable for 500 miles at a time then this is your bike.

Harry:thumbsup2:

Hello...

Hi.

I am new to this board,but not motorcycling.

Great, the RSV is my foruth bike. I have owned a 1981 KZ1100D, 1991 H-D Heratage Classic, 1950 H-D FL (For Sale) and my 2007 RSV.

I have been on or around scoots since 1959, and have one of about everything.

Great!!!! you should know a lot about bikes.

I currently ride a 2006 GL1800 Gold wing, but I am thinking of trading off to a 2008/2009 Venture.

Wise choice!!!!!!!!

The wing is a fine bike in it's own right, but really getting too big and heavy for me.

Actually you should take a MSF Experacned rider cours and get a copy of Ride Like a Pro V DVD to hone your skils!!!!

I don't really need the amount of power it develops either.

Really????? I have never ridden an overpowerd bike but I did ride in a 1963 Corvette with over 1,500 HP. That was about enogh.

The open fealing!!!!

Nope. NONE!!!!!!!!!!

Are parts avilable most of the time?

Yes, but the dealer does not stock all parts as it is a low production nubmber bike.

Does it burn regular fuel?

Yes.

I ride one up, but I am 6'3" and a biskit short of 300 lbs. Is the Venture a comfy ride for a guy my size?

I am 6'6" tall with a 36" inseam. I weght about 280 adn find the RSV quite comfortable. the advantage over the Goldwing is the floor boards insted of pegs, you have more positions to put your feet.

How do you like the seat?

It is OK, but some Viscoelastic gel might help on LONG rides... on rides less than 4 hours I cannot complain.

Can you getr a backrest?

Yes I have one from Utopia products and love it!!!!!

Are there a lot of "add ons" available for it.

Not as many as the Gold Wing, but there are qutie a few. Click HERE to see what Yamaha offers. ALL of the parts at that link are for the 2nd Generation RSV.

How do you like the sound system??

it is OK but the cassette deck is useless. I have a MP3 Player plugged in.

there could be a bit more power, but it is OK.

Is power adequate for most riding?

I enjoy the power it makes!!!!!! but you must let it rev up!!!!!!!

EASY as there is a link in the VRTech secton for you do dowload a PDF of the factory service manual for FREE!!!!!!!!! How cool is that???????

If you could change one thing, what would it be??

1) For it to come with a center stand from the factory.

2) Fuel injection with varriable valve timing. (but I am betiting it is comming with 160 HP+ on the as yet to be annouced 3rd Gen)

You need to read all the posts in the 2nd gen tech talk section.

No problem I hope to see you on a RSV soon.

BTW somewhere on teh interent there is an article comparing the RSV to the ultra Classisc and the Gold wing where they rode to Alaska. It is quite a few years old. the RSV has NOT changed from that article.....

Guest wornout

Thanks for all the responses and info, and the leads to other links. I did say in my original post that "I have been on or around scoots since 1959, and have one of about everything" ......that SHOULD have read HAVE HAD..........ha ha. I wish I still had some of the cars and bikes I have had over the years. The dealer here in the Dayton area, Competition Accessories, does not let you test ride. But I 'spose I can learn a lot by jes settin' on it. I just wanted some honest opinions from current owners. I know that every bike has quirks. The GW (not mine yet) seems to be developing some not so good traits...bent shift forks, the old cracked frame that is popping up again on bikes that were repaired, left rear bag not opening, front wheel shimmy on some that has been found linked to improper install and/or torque of head bearings, anti dive premature failure, 5 hours to change the air filter, leaky hoses due to imroper tightening specs at assembly, etc. Mine has given me about 20000 miles and never stumbled but once. It wouldnt start. I had to get some kids playing ball to come and give me a push. Seems like the cable to the starter was loose. From the factory. ANyway, I'm gonna go do some looking and see what I can get out of it. Not a good time to sell a bike, but they may be hungry enuff to give a good trade price. Maybe I'll see some of you on the road...............soon I hope....sick of winter.......thanks again.

I don't know what your time frame is but I live in Oberlin, OH. I'll be having my annual VentureRider Maintenance Day on June 6th. There will be a LOT of bikes at my house that day. You would be welcome to take mine for a ride. Or....come on up before then if you want to. Weather is not GREAT for a test ride right now though.

I have a 1st gen so none of this affects me personally, but from what I hear there are two major complaints on the second gen,,,, the first and foremost is the whine from the clutch, some are not too bad, some are quiet, but then there are some that can drive you bonkers. Now this can be fixed with a new basket but it doesn't always do the trick so if you're buying used, check it out on a ride before you buy. The other issue is something that is called a tapedeck,,,seems most guys don't know how to use them anymore,,,,,,,,it is from a former life and quite an interesting addition to any motorcycle,, I even think Harley would do better if they came with them. lol

Guest wornout

Ha ha....is that anything like 8 tracks and vinyl RECORDS. BTW...I have taken the street course twice and ERC once. Plus, a couple of GWRRA safety courses, BUT it has been a few years since the last one. I'm going to Competition today and see what they come up with for a trade. The main thing with the wing is that I just dont seem to connect with it, if that makes any sense. I have had scoots over the years that seemed to be a part of me when I rode, and then others that were just machines. The wing is awful top heavy to me, and I have to ride on a pad because their POS seat is like some sort of spinal/tailbone torture kit from some old "B" movie that we used to see at the drive inn. Some of you MAY 'member those. I DO like the fuel injection, but this is only the second ride I ever had that had it. How does the Yamaha respond to alcohol fuel??

Well....I guess we shall see what we shall see I guess........heck...I remeber when there was only one TV channel in black and white and it went off at midnight.....been reading thru the tech stuff....doesn't seem to be near as many issues as on the wing forums......ha ha

Why would anyone even want to use a tapedeck? The 2nd Gen's have a plug so you can plug in a MP3 or a Ipod. Tapedeck 90 minutes of music... MP3 or Ipod 24 hours of music. Easy choice:thumbsup2:

Yep....The Ipod Shuffle will hold 500 songs. Your butt will give out long before you run out of tunes. Check Amazon.com for great prices and fast shipping too.

:p

Boomer......who rides and boogies at the same time.