IGNORED

Misc Thoughts...

Alright I'll admit it, I have been one of the members "lurking" and have not posted yet. I seem to visit the site several times a day, especially this time of year (Minnesota). I have owned my Venture for about a year and a half and will admit I am somewhat "on the fence" about it. The weight does not bother me, after the I-basket the whine is much much better, the ride is smooth and it handles OK for what it is. Maybe its just me (or what I'm comparing it to - previous bike GL1800) but to me it needs more power. I know about using the RPM of the V-4 and keeping it in that range. but I'd rather not have to be in 4th gear, 2 up on the highway to maintain 75 mph with a headwind of 15 to 20 mph. 5th gear would loose speed or be wide open to maintain speed. (2 up our combined weight 320 lbs).

I have read about the rear gear swap and was hoping to hear from some of you that have done it, what your opinions are after having it for awhile. (performance, fuel economy, e.t.c)

I think I read that its a 10% (roughly) difference in gearing... does that mean 17% speedo error? On a related note, could a resistor be used instead of a speedo-healed to correct the difference? Just Curious...?

Sorry to make up for all this time lurking in one post!

Alright I'll admit it, I have been one of the members "lurking" and have not posted yet. I seem to visit the site several times a day, especially this time of year (Minnesota). I have owned my Venture for about a year and a half and will admit I am somewhat "on the fence" about it. The weight does not bother me, after the I-basket the whine is much much better, the ride is smooth and it handles OK for what it is. Maybe its just me (or what I'm comparing it to - previous bike GL1800) but to me it needs more power. I know about using the RPM of the V-4 and keeping it in that range. but I'd rather not have to be in 4th gear, 2 up on the highway to maintain 75 mph with a headwind of 15 to 20 mph. 5th gear would loose speed or be wide open to maintain speed. (2 up our combined weight 320 lbs).

I have read about the rear gear swap and was hoping to hear from some of you that have done it, what your opinions are after having it for awhile. (performance, fuel economy, e.t.c)

I think I read that its a 10% (roughly) difference in gearing... does that mean 17% speedo error? On a related note, could a resistor be used instead of a speedo-healed to correct the difference? Just Curious...?

Keep in mind, the 5th gear on these bikes is actually an " overdrive " gear ratio.

I would not be the least concerned, running a 2nd gen, at 75 mph, heavy load in 4th gear. Your not even close to Engine RPM, Red Line---

Pull up the spec sheet, and study the Gear Ratio's on this bike.

First, running 4th like that will hurt nothing at all, but no way should you ever have to! 5th gear is great for cruising from 45 on up, but you really need to be at least 60 before you try and jerk the throttle open or it will hammer and shake a bit until the RPMs get up.

But if you have trouble holding 75 MPH in 5th gear, no mater what the conditions, you have a serious problem. Sounds to me like you are only running on three cylinders. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Oh, BTW - I weigh 240 alone, do a lot of touring two-up and loaded to the gills (sometimes hauling a trailer too), and I have NEVER ever had any problem holding 85 in 5th, no matter what winds or mountains. In fact, I have never even had the throttle held wide open unless I was passing and the needle was pegged.

I agree with Kent for the most part. I will say that coming home from Colorado two summers ago, pulling a loaded trailer and fighting a STRONG headwind, I did have a problem maintaining 75 MPH in 5th gear. I also admit that I found after getting home that I had more problems and indeed do think that I was running on 3 cylinders. I finally got it running right but in the meantime, also installed the VMAX rear end which I like very much. I think the gas mileage has stayed very close to the same but the gearing is much better suited to the way I like to ride.

On my 86 I had a fouled plug and I was running on three cylinders it ran fine at 70-75 but did it ever suck back the fuel.

I too had some troubles maintaning speed in 5th pulling a trailer in Colorado but dropped to 4th and it was a bit better. Thought I had a plugged fuel filter, seemed to be starving for fuel.

BRad

Ours is a TD but there is only about 20 or 30 lbs weight difference, the fairing might change resistance a bit but, Holding 75 on the highway 2-up is NEVER a problem. at 75 in 5th gear, it is just getting into the power range pretty good. Pulling a trailer may be a different story but - 2-up (I am at 240 and we'll just say the better half puts us over 340 lbs) 75 is no problem. Sounds like it needs looked at.

To answer a few questions not yet addressed... Changing the rear gear does not throw off the speedometer any farther than it already is, and a speedo healer is not needed for this reason.

A speedo healer might be used to correct for the error inherent in the design. A simple resistor will not work, because the speedo is not reading a speed based voltage. It reads a digital signal, a speed based frequency. The speedo healer alters the frequency by a preset percentage.

The VMX rear gear is recommended. But even that just barely gets the rpms up where they ought to be. They ought to be up just a little bit more. There are ways to do it, but not near so easily as just swapping the rear end gear.

I agree that a properly running RSV should have no trouble holding 75 mph in 5th, even 2-up and pulling a trailer. 75 mph in 5th is at a pretty strong region of the torque/rpm curve. Any headwind that forces you into 4th at 75 mph is a beast I don't want to experience!

Kelly

I've got an 08 RSV. Between my wife and I, our combined weight is 410 lbs. We've been riding 2 up on some overnighters when we've had the trunk and both saddlebags loaded full and never had a problem maintaining any speed we want. I've never pulled a trailer but I suspect you should be able to maintain any speed you want especially if you aren't pulling a trailer. I usually get 36 MPG riding 2 up and loaded with no power issues.

Here is a simple idea that doesn't require a rear end swap (which I plan on doing) Install a Dyna 3000 chip in the bike, it allows you to dial in the timing curve and increase the rev limiter.

Here's one on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dyna-3000-Ignition-Yamaha-Royal-Star-Venture-RSTD-99-08_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43976QQihZ015QQitemZ250371876797QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Man, I feel real good reading about all the nice comments on 5th Gear. I rode in today to work with temps. in the 20's and the Venture just rocks and pulls with confidence at any gear. I always take the interstate and find no problems passing anyone on 5th gear. On lower gears, it sounds like a turbo engine.

Ride safe.

Here is a simple idea that doesn't require a rear end swap (which I plan on doing) Install a Dyna 3000 chip in the bike, it allows you to dial in the timing curve and increase the rev limiter.

Here's one on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dyna-3000-Ignition-Yamaha-Royal-Star-Venture-RSTD-99-08_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43976QQihZ015QQitemZ250371876797QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Thats a good price on ebay right now. I paid $229 from ATV Galaxy,

Ian

I have run 80 two up into a 15 to 20 mph headwind in 5th with no problem. Check your plugs. Also check your carb sync. No they ain't no 1800 but they have enough power to accelerate at 80 in 5th 2 up. Wife won't let me go over 100 very often with out hitting me in the helmet a few times. :doh:

Compairing the venture to an 1800 wing is apples to oranges. Or yamaha to honda?

The Venture is a great bike and will do whatever needed when asked. I have rode my Venture in all kinds of weather, wind, mountains, and never had any issues with the power.

I do ride with others that ride both 1500 & 1800 GW's and my Venture has no problem keeping up with them.

+ it looks like a motorcycle as well

Thanks for all the responses, Its possible I'm remembering it "worse" that it was? (was last august) I haven't rode it since november and will have to "re-evaluate" it when weather permits. I have been thinking about the dyna module or the rear end swap, both might be fun but I dont think the finances will allow it. On my bike the carbs have been synched with the correct procedure and the needles have been shimmed half a washer or .010. It doesn't seem to miss any other times that I have noticed. (auto mech 23 years.) It just seemed kinda flat in 5th gear more than it should? I've only got about 6000 miles on it, maybe I do need a tach or wait til 75 mph or 2 up in those conditions...

Thanks again for your comments.