IGNORED

Flooded basement

BIG TOM

Came home today to one foot of water in my basement..what a mess..Tools, bows, electrical appliances, pictures, things that belonged to my mother before she passed away 2 years ago, spare bed, Christmas decorations, furniture, leather goods, hunting equptment, pool table, etc, etc, etc....the list goes on..Got the water pumped out..float stuck on sump pump..Dont know where to begin..carpet soaked..One step foward..two steps backward...its gonna be a long weekend.....relit water tank...washer working..gas dryer not working, furnace working..sump pump running every 20 seconds. Hope its still working in the morning... Just needed to vent...cleanup begins tomorrow...:bawling:

I am so sorry to hear about your basement. That is my biggest fear,

We have been finishing ours for over two years now. when we had

the hole dug for our basement we were almost done with the dig.

Then we hit a water table. To this date we have had a constant

flow sump, about every 15 Min's the sump pump will run and do it's

Job. over the past 2 years I have learned not to have a pump that

as a tethered ball on the end of it. make sure it is on a shaft that

goes up and down , so it will not get stuck.

I did replace the original pump with a stainless steel pump (lifetime warranty)

and also above that pump is our battery back-up (not tethered as well).

that is if we are not home , that will kick in.. and our 3rd back-up is our

generator. the generator is no good when we are not home. so that

is why the battery back-up.

We also did find out that (we thought was covered) is that Most insurance

company's with not pay any claims for mechanical brake down. I had to add

a amendment to our policy that, and anything that will break ie: water line

in bathrooms, washing machine, ect. it added a cost of about $40.00 more

per year. it will not cover outside water coming in.

anyways I just wanted to share this info with you.

Jeff

Bummer. What a mess.

I had the float stuck on my sump pump at my previous house. The sump cover was bumped against the lift rod and the basement flooded - on the day of closing on the sale of the house. I went into the basement to do a final check to make sure I didn't leave anything and there was 2-3" of water in a previously perfectly dry basement. Spent the next 2 hours with a squeegee, towels, fans, and finally, a hair dryer to get the wet spots in the corners.

Fortuntately, there was nothing down there since we had moved everything out.

Good luck with your cleanup. I might suggest hitting the rental store and getting some major big fans. They will help with the carpet drying.

RR

Came home today to one foot of water in my basement..what a mess..Tools, bows, electrical appliances, pictures, things that belonged to my mother before she passed away 2 years ago, spare bed, Christmas decorations, furniture, leather goods, hunting equptment, pool table, etc, etc, etc....the list goes on..Got the water pumped out..float stuck on sump pump..Dont know where to begin..carpet soaked..One step foward..two steps backward...its gonna be a long weekend.....relit water tank...washer working..gas dryer not working, furnace working..sump pump running every 20 seconds. Hope its still working in the morning... Just needed to vent...cleanup begins tomorrow...:bawling:

That sucks Tom, good luck with the clean up!!

So what the heck happened? major rain event, creek overflowed, you sitting on an aquafier? I.e. why do you need a sump pump?

Really sorry to hear this Tom. What a mess and I know it's not what you wanted to spend your weekend doing. My pump starting acting up a couple of years ago and I replaced it IMMEDIATELY. I'm lucky in a way because the way mine is set up, the washing machine actually drains into the sump and then the sump pumps the water out so it's like regular checks on it working or not.

Really sorry to hear about your problem. Hope you can salvage the important stuff. Seems like mother nature has had a really bad attitude this winter. Snow, ice, rain, wind, etc. Seems like a lot of the venture family has suffered losses. Good luck with the clean up.

my pump runs about every 2 min. I have two crocks,first flows into second that is set as backup. My basement floor is 1 foot above water sand. I also keep in stock 2 new pumps and extra piping incase something goes out. Don't ask how I now know to keep extra around.:whistling:

When you install the battery back-up sump pump above

the main pump.... If the main fails and the battery

back-up turns on.. A very loud alarm goes off to let

you know that your main pump has failed. you can turn

the alarm off and let it still do its job for about 3 days

until the battery runs out.

Update....first time in 23 years of living here I have had water in my basement ..I'm on an old gravel pit ,so the water flows hard and fast around here..my pump is still running every 40 seconds..thats normal for this time of year..have most of the basement picked up..except the big stuff, my son will help me with that tomorrow..running three fans and baught a new dehumidifier....old one didnt survive the flood..called the insurance co,....but, no one works on weekends anymore. Will have to wait to see if I'm covered..put a claim in via phone the ins. co. has listed..will find out tomorrow if all is good..At least my basement is cleaned out...although now my garage is full of junk...one day at a time....Hey, I wonder how many calories I burned off this weekend..My weight loss should be HUGE this week..:pushups:

Should have thrown all them panties down into the basement to soak up all that water ! If ya received any bras lately , they make good water buckets , two pales at a time !

All in all , sorry to hear the bad news . Hope all works out .

BEER30

I bet he's probably wearing all them panties. Trying to burn more calories. :rotfl:The bras have become "man"zres now. Much to valuable to risk in a cleanup operation.:detective: Gotta wonder were you get your stamina Tom. But a high calorie intake can definitely boost that. Something you need being your so busy cleaning up the flooded basement and your infidelity. Glad to hear you have everything under control.:thumbsup2::rotfl::rotfl::D