IGNORED

High Output Stator from Buckeye Performance

what i wanna know is...is there an aftermarket reg./rec. for the second gen because i'm tired of watching my voltage drop as i add my electric clothing.....and i have the buckeye stator.......

Goose found this source

http://www.wps-inc.com/wps/WICATALOG1.pgm?Task=NEXT&CICID=ST&PRVCID=ST&PAGE=577&Rnd=1245745185364661

I don't know who found this one http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/m4/Yamaha/p1032/1996-2001-Yamaha-Star-XVZ1300-ROYAL-STAR-Regulator-Rectifier/product_info.html?osCsid=9803a966b915bda8ca4929d9383cf131

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Posted on another site after I said I got my new Stator from Buckeye...

If true are we getting ripped off?? and why do we support them??

Wish I would have known and I could have saved some money...

Where do you think Buckeye gets their stators from????? Sorry you paid more.

You may want to go back and read the replies on the "Buckeye Stator" thread you started. There is a BIG difference between the peak amperage (as quoted by Buckeye) and nominal amperage. (as quoted by Rick's Motorsports) You got seduced by the numbers, my friend.

All of this is explained in the Buckeye Stator thread.

BTW, Buckeye even goes as far as to use the exact same stator photo that Rick's Motorsports uses.

First, this is a great thread. I've often wondered about the benefits of installing the hi-output stator. My question is with all the electronics turned on does it exceed the 30 amp output of the stator? And if it does, how long will it be before it will drain the battery to 50% of total CCA??

Here's where I'm at. The bike doesn't run off the stator. The bike runs off the battery. The battery is nothing more than a buffer between the stators ability to charge, and the electrical system load. Pull more out of the battery than the stator can supply and the battery will be depleated. This could take a very long time depending on the CCA's of the battery. In other words if the load on the battery is 35 amps total and the stator is putting out 30 amps it would take about 8 hours to deplete an 80 CCA battery down to 50% charge. 80amp less 50% divided by 5amps(35-30) equals 8 hrs. If the load goes below 30 amps the stator puts out enough to replace the used amps. In the OEM batteries case it will drain it down in a couple of hours or less.

So if a rider has a load created by heated riding gear, and like's to play the tape deck constantly along with a ton of rear lighting, and front running lights, the chances are, if they don't have a decent battery installed they're gonna need a jump start.. :) However if all the equipment doesn't use more than the stator output, they don't need a hi-output stator and it's a waste of money. What they might need, if they still are running the OEM Wet Cell battery is one of the better AGM Batts.

Just My 2cents

i went to ricks motorsports...i don't see a stator listed for the 2nd gen.....or pic.......a search on the site showed nothing...........so, where are we getting ripped off

John,

The part # on Rick's Motorsports page is 27-21412H for 159.95. It states for an '05 but ALL the RSV's are the same exact thing. I hope this isn't a deal where we are being duped as Gunboat and I just installed Buckeye stators on our bikes, his '99 and my '89. I will say though that mine is charging very nicely and even with Lonna's heated pants it keeps up very well. Gunboats bike the same way too as his lights are MUCH brighter with his new stator on.

Here's where I'm at. The bike doesn't run off the stator. The bike runs off the battery. The battery is nothing more than a buffer between the stators ability to charge, and the electrical system load. Pull more out of the battery than the stator can supply and the battery will be depleated. This could take a very long time depending on the CCA's of the battery. In other words if the load on the battery is 35 amps total and the stator is putting out 30 amps it would take about 8 hours to deplete an 80 CCA battery down to 50% charge. 80amp less 50% divided by 5amps(35-30) equals 8 hrs. If the load goes below 30 amps the stator puts out enough to replace the used amps. In the OEM batteries case it will drain it down in a couple of hours or less.

So if a rider has a load created by heated riding gear, and like's to play the tape deck constantly along with a ton of rear lighting, and front running lights, the chances are, if they don't have a decent battery installed they're gonna need a jump start.. :) However if all the equipment doesn't use more than the stator output, they don't need a hi-output stator and it's a waste of money. What they might need, if they still are running the OEM Wet Cell battery is one of the better AGM Batts.

Just My 2cents

Actually the bike runs on both depending on which has the most to deliver. When running, the bike uses power from the stater, and any access voltage is taken up and stored in the battery. When stator voltage drops below what the battery has to offer the bike starts using what has been stored in the battery. Obviously if the stator continues to not meet the electrical systems demand, the battery eventually runs down. The amount of time it would take to run down the battery would depend on the quality and condition of the battery. To buy a bigger and better battery, because you have added extra load demand to the bike, is only buying time. Only if the stator output is able to excced the demand placed on the electrical system, and still have enough surplus to charge the battery at the same time, will you have the correct set up.

In short all the battery really needs, is to have enough power to reliably crank over your bike when you want to start it, after that it is up to the stator to both carry the electrical load and be able to recharge your battery at the same time

Squid I dont think that is the case. I installed the Buckeye last winter and now have a yea on it. I have a charging guage and its not jus the light type and I can attest that there was a remarkable jump in changing. It how charges right up to the regulator limit and not beyond which is what it is supposed to do. I have no doubt that there is much more beyond that. I have all kinds of gizmos and have always been in the boarder line stage. Even didconnected the carb heaters to save power. Now its not even close to being an issue. I think Rick at Buckeyes is on the level. I know when I was ordering I shared your first stator issue with him and he assured me he did not use the same company you used for that one. I have had no issues and been really happy. Im sure Ruffy will also agree with this as he used the same one.

Scotty

I'm hoping that the Stator I got from Buckeye is going to take care of the issues I had this year.

Had to push start the bike because I didnt have enough power to start it...

But I do have passing lamps, 55 Watt Motolights and was told that was too much for the stator when the carb heaters kick in..

Took the bike to the Yami shop and they found nothing wrong

Love being seen so I hate to have the lights turned off

I got my upgrade stator from Rick at Buckeye also this spring and have put about 10,000 miles on the bike so far this year. I installed a digital voltmeter at the same time along with a Deka AGM. I already had a new R/R in from the year before.

I'd read a lot of comments on this board and other sites on other suppliers of the upgrade stators and the only one that wasn't getting a lot of grumbles was the Buckeye. After talking to a few guys who had installed one and then Rick I ordered one.

I have had zero issues with it and with the digital meter has shown me that it is handling the needed volts very well.

I run a lot of lights and and the battery is always at 100% charged when I shut it down. I ride the bike on a service route daily and it is a lot of run and shut down. I can say that on some days I may start the bike 25 to 30 times a day.

I have always trusted Rick at Buckey and he has never led me wrong. Always had straightup answers for my questions and got me the parts that worked the first time and no issues with any of them.

Just my :2cents:

Mike

Dont get me wrong fellas, I'm not bashing Buckeye, I have used Rick for a lot of years for many different things. I know there are quite a few folks that have installed his stator and have zero issues with them. Unfortunately, like I was explaining to Gunboat tonight at dinner, I have no way of knowing what a brand new stator does with all the crap connected to it. I am VERY happy with my results thus far from the Buckeye stator, I dont want that to be misconstrewed.

:2cents:

Hey Brad.

No issue with what you said at all ya big squid. Just wanted to throw in my thoughts on the Buckeye stator.

I know there has been a lot of questions on several boards about the two Ricks being one and the same. To the best of my knowledge that's not the case.

And now that I think about it......... you are kind of the one that started it all for me anyway. If you hadn't had those brackets I wouldn't have started hanging extra lights.:buttkick:

So clue me in here guys. Is there another High Output stator out there available for less $$$$ that does as good a job as the Buckeye one or what? I've read this whole thread and can't figure out what the verdict is. Went to Rick's motorsports site and I'm not seeing anything other than a rebuilt one that doesn't have a price listed.

In short all the battery really needs, is to have enough power to reliably crank over your bike when you want to start it, after that it is up to the stator to both carry the electrical load and be able to recharge your battery at the same time

I thought that's what I said only I guess it's the "glass is half full or half empty" senerio. I look at it this way. A motor will start and run on a battery. A motor will not start and run on a stator. So I'll stick with the battery as primary therory. :-)

So clue me in here guys. Is there another High Output stator out there available for less $$$$ that does as good a job as the Buckeye one or what? I've read this whole thread and can't figure out what the verdict is. Went to Rick's motorsports site and I'm not seeing anything other than a rebuilt one that doesn't have a price listed.

On Ricks Motorsport page, click on parts search and follow the pages. The stator is $160 (2nd gen), part #21-412H. I have installed two of them and they put out the power. I have a buddy that I am going to install a Buckeye on that he bought last spring. I borrowed it last night and compared it to one of the Ricks I installed on another friends Venture. They are identical. Think what you want but as to me they are the same.

That being said, I don't have one on my Venture and have never needed one. With my heated clothing (jacket and gloves), LED tail lights and turn signals, I turn my pass lights off when running heat and I disconnected my carb heaters, I have never had a problem with watts or amps.

:farmer:

Edited by Sylvester

I just ordered the new higher output stator from Rick @ Buckeye - along with a new Heavy Duty Rectifier unit. I fount Rick to be very helpful - and am looking forward to getting these new parts installed.

Theres a heavy duty rectifier available?? Part #??

Posted on another site after I said I got my new Stator from Buckeye...

If true are we getting ripped off?? and why do we support them??

Wish I would have known and I could have saved some money...

Where do you think Buckeye gets their stators from????? Sorry you paid more.

You may want to go back and read the replies on the "Buckeye Stator" thread you started. There is a BIG difference between the peak amperage (as quoted by Buckeye) and nominal amperage. (as quoted by Rick's Motorsports) You got seduced by the numbers, my friend.

All of this is explained in the Buckeye Stator thread.

BTW, Buckeye even goes as far as to use the exact same stator photo that Rick's Motorsports uses.

Hey Brad.

No issue with what you said at all ya big squid. Just wanted to throw in my thoughts on the Buckeye stator.

I know there has been a lot of questions on several boards about the two Ricks being one and the same. To the best of my knowledge that's not the case.

And now that I think about it......... you are kind of the one that started it all for me anyway. If you hadn't had those brackets I wouldn't have started hanging extra lights.:buttkick:

Since there seems to be a concern here about the two companies, how about Rick at Buckeye post here and clear things up?? Will the REAL RICK please stand up!!:smile5:

So because there was no responce from Buckeye do we need to assume that there might be some truth to this???

Why should he dignify such accusations with a response? Rick is an honest businessman, he developed the high output stator for the 2nd gen RSV over a couple years that I am aware of. Sounds to me like there are some out there just wanting to bash a good product from an honest man.

If you are waiting so eager for him to post have you PMed him or tried to call? If you are basing you assumptions on waiting for him to see this I dont think he lives on here and sometimes its quite a while between his posts. I personally have bought from him quite a few times and he is top notch. You know what assuming does! Just call him and ask the question rather than assuming guilt because he hasnt posted yet. That is a very lame argument.

I have the side cover off and I'll be working to take the stator out, anyone have any great ideas to make it as easy as pie?????

Use an impact driver with the correct phillips head bit to remove the retaining screws. You can round off the heads very easily if your not careful.

:2cents: